ATT lays off hundreds before Christmas

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Re: ATT lays off hundreds before Christmas

Post by _deacon blues »

Companies, big and small, need to realize loyalty is a two-way street. Should businesses be responsible to their employees? Should employees be loyal to their employers? I'm old enough to have lived through Reaganomics, and I don't believe it's a silver bullet. I've never lived through a depression, but it seems there are still people who are living in a depression.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

EAllusion wrote:I'm saying generally speaking that tax increases increase government revenues, but there are levels of taxes where you will get decreasing marginal gains from increases because they depress economic activity and, beyond that, you can collapse your tax receipts by strangling commerce.

So you're talking about the Laffer curve, which I agree with. But the question is, how high do taxes need to be before that happens? I think they'd have to be much higher than they are now. The issue here I think is lowering taxes so low that you stand no chance of balancing the budget, let alone bringing down debt.

EAllusion wrote:Clinton also benefited greatly from the best boom economy in decades. You can't miss that as part of the picture.

Well obviously, but the high taxes obviously led to increased revenues as well.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
We’re adding people in many areas where we’re seeing increased customer demand for products and services....

As a result of decreasing work volume and to increase efficiency, we are consolidating some call center work currently done at one of our locations in Kansas City into another company location in San Antonio.

Interesting. I didn’t figure that call center work was so geographically limited.

Because you figure that 2 locations are the same cost as 1 location?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:Because you figure that 2 locations are the same cost as 1 location?

You overlooked the point. But to your comment about cost, the number of locations doesn't tell us much about, say, overall lease costs, for example.

You knew that already, right?
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:
subgenius wrote:Because you figure that 2 locations are the same cost as 1 location?

You overlooked the point. But to your comment about cost, the number of locations doesn't tell us much about, say, overall lease costs, for example.

You knew that already, right?

Given the context of your comment and by what you quoted, what was the point?
Surely you weren't conflating the point about "in many areas" with the point about call centers?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:Surely you weren't conflating the point about "in many areas" with the point about call centers?

Surely you didn’t overlook my second post? : )