Winning: Germans fear huge loss of jobs from US tax cuts

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Winning: Germans fear huge loss of jobs from US tax cut

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Thank you for sharing this Cinepro. It was an interesting read.

Anecdotal diarrhea to follow:

It reminded me of something my father had said during one of their brief strikes during contract negotiations (my dad was a locomotive engineer for UPRR). He said that he felt bad for anyone hired after the negotiations were done. Each contract usually protected the existing people at the extreme cost of the next generation. The gradual result being that each time, the contract was renegotiated, the existing people were fighting for scraps left for them by the previous people at the expense of the people yet to come.

Essentially, the union is/was on a path of essentially becoming something that ultimately only helped the union representatives, and not the union members.

When the teamsters merged with the Locomotive brotherhood, and raided the coffers, my dad had some choice things to say about the Las Vegas mob being alive and well under the guise of a "union."

Interesting to see that human nature tends to make great things into turds, regardless of where they are.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Kevin Graham wrote:Not yet maybe.

I'm much more worried about the influence of special interest groups and "rent seeking" firms, including unions and trade groups.

For example, the AMA has done much to reduce healthcare options (and changes that would make quality healthcare more affordable and accessible to Americans), but they are never lumped in with the usual bogeymen of "Big Pharma" and "insurance companies" when the bad guys are named.

https://www.cmanet.org/news/detail/?art ... -nurses-to
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Maxine Waters wrote:
Listen, Mexico has a low unemployment rate but it's economy is s***. How do you explain that?

How do you explain poverty in Latin America?

Corruption and greed for those at the top of the food chain, with relative lack of opportunity for those outside that small percentage, both contribute.

This is easily reproducible here with little effort.
_Jesse Jackson Jr
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Jackson Jr »

Corruption and greed for those at the top of the food chain, with relative lack of opportunity for those outside that small percentage, both contribute.

This is easily reproducible here with little effort.

Do we not have corruption and greed for those at the top of the food chain with relative lack of opportunity for those outside that small percentage? I think there is more to the answer to this question than Latin America has corrupt governments.
“It's not logical that we boast the most advanced and powerful internationally integrated economy in the world, then claim organizational incompetence and poverty when it comes to creating and funding a national health care system for all Americans.”
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Jesse Jackson Jr wrote:Do we not have corruption and greed for those at the top of the food chain with relative lack of opportunity for those outside that small percentage? I think there is more to the answer to this question than Latin America has corrupt governments.

We’re just not living up to our potential yet. I’m sure that we can change this.