Evidences for Human Evolution Continue to be Discovered

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Evidences for Human Evolution Continue to be Discovered

Post by _Chap »

Themis wrote:A big part of the problem is not having a good foundation of knowledge in various areas we might discuss when it comes to questions like the age of the earth or how has life changed over time.

Well, that's certain a big part of the problem for somebody who wants to equip himself or herself to begin to learn about and discuss how evolutionary biologists study and try to come to conclusions about the hugely complicated processes by which our planet changed from being an uninhabited lump of rock to an ecosystem teeming with diverse and varied life forms which (for the moment at least) include us.

If on the other hand all you want to do is to draw intelligent and well-informed people of goodwill into pointless attempts to explain stuff to you, all you need are a few links to popular anti-evolution websites. Rather than leave that kind of thing unanswered on a board where children might be reading, several of them are sure to get involved. And that's such fun, and all for so little effort ... no need to learn anything at all!
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Chap wrote:
Themis wrote:If on the other hand all you want to do is to draw intelligent and well-informed people of goodwill into pointless attempts to explain stuff to you, all you need are a few links to popular anti-evolution websites.

The course I link to is really good, and one can learn by just watching in short segments on the foundation of biology that does not contain much information that is controversial. It's just a thought for those interested in a little learning.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Ceeboo wrote:Hey Rock,

I blame you for this! :lol:

Peace,
Ceeboo

Sorry Ceeboo, my studies of late have hit a lot on this issue. I think the real hard issue is questions/ethics on dealing with what is being taught children. Of course this can only apply for public education.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

RockSlider wrote:
Sorry Ceeboo, my studies of late have hit a lot on this issue. I think the real hard issue is questions/ethics on dealing with what is being taught children. Of course this can only apply for public education.

What do you suspect is being taught to children in public schools?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Jersey Girl wrote:
RockSlider wrote:

What do you suspect is being taught to children in public schools?

I think I suggested some information to you on this recently.

Ken Ham and his Answers in Genesis organization lobbies hard for YEC to be taught as science in public schools.

Texas has had issues for many years with creationism being taught in public schools.
Aron Ra has tried to counter this for many years. His "15 foundational falsehood's of Creationism" videos are well worth the time to watch as for covering one side of the debate.

eta:

what are your thoughts on The Ark Encounter and have you watched any of the debates on this?

For example, watch all of the youth following Bill Nye and Ken around the ark

I would love to have you watch this debate and comment on it
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Rock it's funny you mention the Ark because I just now scrapped a post where I told my in real life story about the intrusion of religion in a school. I'm on 4 hours of sleep right now and can barely think, so I will answer your questions when I think I have my brain back in my head enough to do so.

One thing I wanted to say is that Fed funding is what stands between public schools and adopting religious curriculum.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

[MODERATOR NOTE: All off-topic posts regarding Nightlion have been moved to this thread in the Terrestrial Forum. Anything not having to do with this thread's opening post should be posted in the above-linked thread, not here.]
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley