Wow

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Wow

Post by _EAllusion »

_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: Wow

Post by _Xenophon »

Hey, at least he hasn't blogged in favor of the KKK... :rolleyes:

By his own admission, has literally never been in a courtroom for litigation but is set to be a judge, alright then.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Xenophon wrote:Hey, at least he hasn't blogged in favor of the KKK... :rolleyes:

By his own admission, has literally never been in a courtroom for litigation but is set to be a judge, alright then.

It's the questions he got after his total lack of experience was discussed that got me. I'm going to generously describe my knowledge of arguing cases in federal court as "Lol. None. What? Are you crazy?" and I could've given a brief, correct answer to more than one of those questions just from general awareness of my surroundings. That's got to be lawyering day 1 stuff.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

The whole thing was a bit too My Cousin Vinny-esque for me. Yeah sure, I can refresh my understanding of the Federal Review or Evidence no problem, yeah sure the Daubert standard too... oh and I guess "motion in limit".

Judge Chamberlain Haller: I tell you this, because I want you to know that, when it comes to procedure, I'm not a patient man. I advise your, sir, that when you come into my courtroom, you are to know the letter of the law. I react harshly when you don't.

Vinny Gambini: You should.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Don't think that being from New York, you're getting a special treatment.

Vinny Gambini: I shouldn't. I don't expect to get special treatment, your honor.

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Good. You won't. You'll be given no leeway whatsoever.

[Takes a book on Alabama law from his book case]

Judge Chamberlain Haller: Now, I expect you to know this information when you come into my courtroom.

[drops the book before Vinny]

Judge Chamberlain Haller: You willing to accept those terms?

Vinny Gambini: Sure. No problem.

[quickly leafs through the book]

Vinny Gambini: Just this? Ha ha.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

We’re trying very hard to get the best people. Not necessarily people that will be the most politically correct people, because that hasn’t been working. So we have really experts in the field. Some are known and some are not known, but they’re known within their field as being the best. That’s very important to me. ~President Trump
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Have to admit, this guy looked like an idiot and “C” team player. It was embarrassing and difficult to watch. The only person I can remember being less prepared for a promotion was Obama. But he never had to answer questions about his background and as a result we all experienced one of the greatest disasters to our economy, world standing, political integrity and national safety. Sure glad this guy won’t get the nomination. Like most in this country - wish we could have a do-over w Obama, but, damage done.

On a brighter side - how’s everyone’s 401K and investment portfolios doing over the past twelve months! No doubt you’re all digging it!!!!
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

The lack of qualifications this guy had to be a trial judge — let alone a federal trial judge — is beyond belief. The questions he was asked weren’t tricky — they were bread and butter questions any lawyer who had been around trial work at all should be able to answer. A motion in limine is pre-trial motion to exclude evidence. They are routinely filed before trial. The Daubert Standard is the standard that governs the admissibility if expert testimony. It comes up in any case that involves expert testimony. This is like a guy who wants to perform surgery not knowing what a scalpel is or what material is used to stitch the patient together after surgery.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Stupidity loves company. Only a man really dumb like Trump could nominate so many dumb people who are completely unqualified for the job. His only prerequisite before nominating is that they hold extreme or fringe Right Wing views. We're talking about a man whose agenda is defined by whatever he sees on Fox and Friends and Alex Jones.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Kevin Graham wrote:Stupidity loves company. Only a man really dumb like Trump could nominate so many dumb people who are completely unqualified for the job. His only prerequisite before nominating is that they hold extreme or fringe Right Wing views. We're talking about a man whose agenda is defined by whatever he sees on Fox and Friends and Alex Jones.

Seriously Kevin, hows your portfolio doing. Would you rather it was performing, under the assumption you actually had one, under Obama?

Seriously folks, is our economy and job creation not doing great relative to the prior administration?

Ok, I get the fact that most here dependent on govt dollars are frustrated. EA’s own work is down. But that can be looked as a blessing. He can now spend even more time getting that avg daily post over 15.

But who’s life here is being adversely affected with this growth? Really, speak up w intelligence!