The Last Jedi **WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED**

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: The Last Jedi **WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED**

Post by _Some Schmo »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:DoubtingThomas, please observe the rule of ending your sentences with a period.
That's a great rule of thumb but there are exceptions. Why, I had an uncle who sometimes ended his sentences with parole.

This is a good point, but I notice Shades has cycles and says this kind of stuff when it's his time. Period.

By the way Shades, lately I've been ruminating on whether it's ok to end a sentence on an ellipsis...
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:By the way Shades, lately I've been ruminating on whether it's ok to end a sentence on an ellipsis...

Yes, because it's a form of punctuation.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Kevin Graham wrote:And why does light coming out of a gun "kick" as if it a firearm?

In the original ("Star Wars"? "Episode 4"? "A New Hope"?) the guns were firing blanks on the set to give a more realistic "feel" to the universe. While the physics may be wrong, Lucas recognized that accurate physics can look very fake to our earth-bound experienced brains.

For example, compare how cool the ION cannon looks in ESB, compared to how you can imagine it would look if it just sat there statically when firing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkOVSFb2Zw&t=2m31s

But as others have pointed out, this method has its limits, and it seems having the bombs "drop" at the beginning of Episode 8 was a bit too much. "Oh, you have explosives that can blow up that ship? Instead of flying them close to the ship and then launching them (and risking pilots and ships in the process), maybe you could, you know, propel them towards the ship using some kind of rocket technology...?"
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Star Wars was always overrated but now its few tired loops have decayed into pure greed and stale cheese. Grossly expensive pulp that lovers can pretend to be camp but know deep down is just lazy unimaginative and exploitative crap. I can enjoy it best by turning off the sound and skimming through the scenes to appreciate the concept art in action and look for new CGI tricks. The characters and plots are pesky distractions from the grand videogameishness of it all.

I don't think of it as science fiction, any more than I would the Barsoom novels of Burroughs. Commercial fantasy. It has about as much "science" as Mary Baker Eddy's cult of "Christian Science".
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov