The Last Jedi **WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED**

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: The Last Jedi **WARNING: SPOILERS ALLOWED**

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Kevin Graham wrote:Why do the laser guns shoot lasers (light) at roughly 130 MPH and why are people able to dodge them? . . . And why does light coming out of a gun "kick" as if it a firearm?

'Cause they're "blasters," not lasers.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

My 14 year old son, who is also a huge Star Wars fan, and I went to see the show on the first Saturday matinee weekend. I had pre-ordered our tickets and even received theater seat assignments several months before on Fandango.

I really enjoyed the movie. It had a lot of the elements of "The Empire Strikes Back", as far as being the middle chapter. I'm definitely looking forward to the next movie.

Since Carrie Fisher passed away, it will be interesting to see how they deal with the Princess Leiah character, since she was very much alive at the end of "The Last Jedi".
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:My 14 year old son, who is also a huge Star Wars fan, . . .

Implying that you're a huge Star Wars fan. . .

it will be interesting to see how they deal with the Princess Leiah character, since she was very much alive at the end of "The Last Jedi".

How much of a fan can one be if one misspells "Leia?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some good comments from this reddit thread:
https://np.reddit.com/r/movies/comments ... ?context=3

[–]Isuckatnicknames 529 points 10 hours ago*

Man these new numbered Star Wars movies are a disappointment.

I watched TFA, and during the entire time I had this anticipation for something big to happen. I was thinking " YES. Now show me Abrams, what route will this trilogy take? Show me the New Star Wars"

Apparently the new Star Wars way is to rehash old scenes for the nostalgia factor. E.g. Death Star Trench run-Death Planet trench run, Battle of Hoth-Salt planet assault.

Honestly these movies feel like they don't have the balls to be something original, They feel like a kid who is afraid to paint something new and instead just copies his father's work with some mild touches of his own.

[–]mynamewasalreadygone 404 points 9 hours ago

It's possible for it to carbon copy plot points making it too much like the original trilogy plot wise but then miss what made Star Wars "Star Wars" so that it becomes completely alien and distant in feel and aesthetic. The original trilogy cast had a strong bond and made you feel like you were watching a D&D campaign unfold on the big screen, with each character playing important roles that supported one another. In the new trilogy characters are all over the place and at times make one another feel obsolete or unnecessary. It just so happens that the new trilogy has proven it can both be completely unoriginal and unfamiliar.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

I didn't read all the posts, so this may have been commented on, but I love the way in star wars there is rarely no gravity in space, in this episode they "drop" bombs. In other episodes downed ships crashed.

The opening scene also cracked me up...I was wondering if Mel Brooks wrote it.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I saw the first movie the first day it came out in 1977 (even got a "May the Force be with You" button, which I promptly lost. Who knew? ) For this movie I waited until it came to disc. Definitely worth the wait, in the sense that it was not worth seeing in the theater.

The chemistry of Star Wars is a mix of swashbuckling silliness and Joseph Campbell profundity. In the last 2 movies, mastery of the Force involves less discipline, and seems more like sex appeal: either you have it or you don't. With the end of the Jedi we have the end of the bending of the force for good, it now seems capricious. If you don't start with a clear definition of the Force, Star Wars quickly degenerates into another one of a million Space Westerns.

The effects are great, and it's still a popcorn muncher, but if that's the best the franchise can do, I'm retiring to my home planet.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:In the last 2 movies, mastery of the Force involves less discipline, and seems more like sex appeal: either you have it or you don't.

That's one of the best comments I've read regarding the latest movies.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

I went to see the Avengers movie yesterday
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DoubtingThomas, please observe the rule of ending your sentences with a period. Yes, even your last sentence must end with a period.

--Louis Midgley
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Dr. Shades wrote:DoubtingThomas, please observe the rule of ending your sentences with a period.
That's a great rule of thumb but there are exceptions. Why, I had an uncle who sometimes ended his sentences with parole.