How?????s everyones????? portfolio?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: How’s everyones’ portfolio?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I will straight post my portfolio against yours. 100%. How do we go about doing this, Bach?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:The market is artificially inflated right now, and many Republicans admit this as well. It got a bump because of expectation, not performance. ...

Duh. How so you even operate a wallet?
Expectations are a significant market force, both when they are positive and when they are negative. You can't dismiss them as "artificial", without painting yourself as a moron.
(performance he says :lol: )
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

I'm not the only one who says it is artificially inflated. Virtually every expert agrees. You just don't click on reputable links, only Brietbart type sources. Which is why you come across as substupid. Your dumb comments remind me of this scene from Trading Places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUnvVRYzzA

It doesn't matter what the stock prices are currently, it only matters what they are when you cash out. Idiots like you, bach and a dozen others on Facebook keep coming at me with this BS line of "Look how much money we're making under Trump!" If you knew a damned thing about the stock market you'd know that the market literally doubled under Obama's watch and all we heard from your side was talk about how the stock market doesn't mean anything about the President or even the economy. Now suddenly with the orange guy in office it means everything.

Do you really think corporations have actually been raking in record "profits" since Trump took office? Corporate profits are about where they were in 2015.
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Kevin Graham wrote:I'm not the only one who says it is artificially inflated. Virtually every expert agrees. You just don't click on reputable links, only Brietbart type sources. Which is why you come across as substupid. Your dumb comments remind me of this scene from Trading Places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUnvVRYzzA

It doesn't matter what the stock prices are currently, it only matters what they are when you cash out. Idiots like you, bach and a dozen others on Facebook keep coming at me with this BS line of "Look how much money we're making under Trump!" If you knew a ____ thing about the stock market you'd know that the market literally doubled under Obama's watch and all we heard from your side was talk about how the stock market doesn't mean anything about the President or even the economy. Now suddenly with the orange guy in office it means everything.

Do you really think corporations have actually been raking in record "profits" since Trump took office? Corporate profits are about where they were in 2015.

Hey Kevin, what’s your read on the market reaction this morning? This board needs the input of a very astute investor like you. Love to get your input.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Bach wrote:Really would love to hear:

How is everyone here doing in their 401K/Investment portfolios over the past 12 months?

Does anyone hear have a portfolio?

Does everyone hear know what a portfolio is?

I haven’t had a 401K portfolio in about 20 years as I have been investing w “after tax dollars” since the late 90s. But my portfolio hasn’t done this well on a YOPF (year over past four) in any time I can compare with.

What did you do with your 401(k) 20 years ago? I presume you rolled it over into an IRA?

I'm genuinely curious why you don't invest with pre-tax dollars. Assuming your company has a decent plan with generous matches and profit sharing, you could potentially invest over $50,000 a year on a qualified pre-tax basis. Of course your options for investing in IRAs, Roth IRAs, and such beyond that will be limited, and thus saving more than that will be after-tax.

I'm also curious about this "YOPF" statistic. As far as I can tell, it isn't a thing.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Analytics wrote:I'm also curious about this "YOPF" statistic. As far as I can tell, it isn't a thing.

I wouldn't try to figure out how Bach thinks. It produces an instant headache. For example, I thought to myself, "Maybe he's somehow conflating a 4-fund portfolio with this weird statement." And then I was like, "That doesn't even make sense. What the “F” is a 'year over past four'?"

And then I remembered this bat crap dotard doesn't know how to copy and paste a link on a discussion forum. Like. He literally doesn't know how to highlight a URL, right-click it, the left-click on 'copy', then left-click into the reply box, and then right-click, and then left-click 'paste', and then left-click on Submit.

Lol. “F” ing Mormons.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Bach wrote:Hey Kevin, what’s your read on the market reaction this morning? This board needs the input of a very astute investor like you. Love to get your input.

Goodness knows, Kevin has to be smarter than you. You're the guy who thinks that the market lost ground overall during Obama's time in office.
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

Bach wrote:Image

MRW bach tries to stick with his successful business man persona:

Bach's successful business man persona is about as convincing as our resident white nationalist, ajax, pretending to post as a black politician. Both of the them are so ignorant of the personas they are trying to mimic that they have to rely on asinine, cartoonish versions of the characters they are trying to play.

While ajax just relies on his white-trash, racist views of non-whites that are founded by this fear of leaving his $h%t-hole holler, Im starting to see that bach believes that truly successful people talk like Donald Trump and/or other pseudo celebrities and reality stars (the "do you know who I am?" attitude). Bach actually thinks successful people feel the need to lord it over others or mention it regularly like the insecure, trust fund reality stars he sees and apparently idolizes on TV. If he could just mention his place in "the Hamptons" or how he gets stock tips from his buddies at "the club", the imagery would be complete.
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

For the record, what Kevin said is exactly right. The actual value of a share of stock is the present-value of future dividends. However, the actual market price is based upon the supply and demand for that particular stock on a second-by-second basis, as reflected in the limit-order book. For people saving for retirement, the market price of a share of stock doesn’t matter at all until the moment when the stock is purchased or sold.

We now know that investors were a little pessimistic during the most of the Obama years—that was a great thing for people saving for retirement—it meant that the $250 or whatever that was being withheld from each paycheck could buy more stock. Now, the market is closer to reflecting the actual value of stock, and if you include the likely scenario of interest rates increasing, it is overvalued.

Shares of stock being expensive is bad news for people who are systematically purchasing them to fund their retirements.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Correct me if I am wrong Analytics, but we want to "Buy high and sell low", right? :rolleyes:
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens