the second largest living organism in utah

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

the second largest living organism in utah

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

is thechurch

The largest and oldest living organism on Earth is the Pando clone, a quaking aspen colony of over 47,000 trees in Utah that stretches over 106-acres, weighs 13 million pounds, and is 80,000 years old.
Pando - (I Spread)

When the Pando Clone was discovered, scientists named it with a Latin word that means “I spread.” An aspen clone starts with a single seed and spreads by sending up new shoots from the expanding root system. These shoots become trees that are genetically identical.

Pando, located about 1 mile southwest of Fish Lake on State Highway 25, is believed to be the largest organism ever found at nearly 13 million pounds. The clone spreads over 106 acres, consisting of over 40,000 individual trees.

Pando welcomes visitors coming to the Fish Lake Basin from the southwest on SR-25. In the summer the green, fluttering leaves symbolize the relief from summer’s heat that you get coming to the basin. In autumn the oranges and yellows of the leaves as they change color give a hint of the fall spectacular that is the Fish Lake Basin.

Visitors from many states, as well as other nations have travelled to central Utah to see and experience Pando, especially during the fall season when the leaves turn to yellow and orange. In 2006 the U.S. Postal Service honored the Pando Clone as one of the “40 Wonders of America” with a stamp in its commemoration.

And yet, Pando is struggling. Like many stands of aspen, disease and insect infestation coupled with years of fire suppression and hungry mouths have taken their toll. However, employees of the Fishlake National Forest along with partner organizations are doing something about it.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/fishlake/home/?cid=STELPRDB5393641

https://qz.com/1151730/the-worlds-largest-and-oldest-organism-is-super-stressed-out/
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Re: the second largest living organism in utah

Post by _AmyJo »

Interesting topic.

I found something else about Aspens that add to the ecological environment - (Aspens, like wolves, are evidently an endangered specie!)

Aspen tree bark is to Elk what chocolate is to humans: A great treat which; although strictly speaking, is unnecessary to sustain life, makes life richer. Elk, unlike humans, lack self-restraint. Left to themselves they will strip the bark off an Aspen tree. Naked Aspen trees, like naked humans, will die in a Rocky Mountain winter.

And that has been a problem in Yellowstone National Park and other places in the Rockies since mankind decided to eradicate wolves. Recently we looked at a book by the publishers of Outdoor Life, written in the early 1950’s. In it was a painting of a wolf, along with an article which ended looking forward to the day when a hunter shot the last living wolf for, “The only good wolf is a dead wolf.” There is no doubt that the author of the piece was filled with the best of intentions, believing wolves pestilential.

As is so often the case in humanity’s history, we are reminded of a well-known road paved with good intentions.

We pretty much eradicated wolves from Yellowstone and the Rockies. But wolves eat elk. About one a month per wolf. Because the wolves were gone, elk lost their main predator and multiplied in great numbers. Lacking self-restraint, they ate Aspens at a prodigious rate. The Aspens died. Soon Yellowstone was almost bereft of Aspens. Birds lost protected perches where they could rest from their arduous migrations but still have a good field of view to protect themselves from their predators.

Then recently humans began allowing wolves back into Yellowstone. Not very many, certainly not enough to cull the immense Elk herds which were destroying the Aspen, but enough to introduce what one biologist calls, “the ecology of fear.” It turns out that Elk can exercise a form of self-restraint: They won’t go deep into Aspen groves if they are afraid of wolves. Deep in an Aspen grove, as you can see, elk lack a wide field of view from which they can see approaching wolves. So they eat Aspen bark only on the edges of groves and they eat it quickly. They don’t take time to completely strip even the trees on the edge of the grove. The trees are returning to health and the songs of birds can again be heard in Aspen groves."

https://fatfinch.wordpress.com/2007/08/ ... y-of-fear/
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hmmm?

Am I right?
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Ceeboo wrote:Hmmm?

Am I right?

what?

no hablo ceebooian!
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

... but i like you !
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

One of the projected byproducts of global warming is that as the frost line moves further north, northern trees will be invaded by insect species for which they have no defense.

I was thinking that the concept of the Pando Clone is pretty close to elements of Gaia network in James Cameron's Avatar.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

MeDotOrg wrote:One of the projected byproducts of global warming is that as the frost line moves further north, northern trees will be invaded by insect species for which they have no defense.

I was thinking that the concept of the Pando Clone is pretty close to elements of Gaia network in James Cameron's Avatar.

The impacts of climate change on plant communities is already becoming an intense field of study. Here in the southwestern US, estimates that we'll lose evergreen trees within the next 100 years is just one example of some of the predicted results - http://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate2873

I would need to look further to find them but I have heard of studies in Arizona and New Mexico that were tracking tree mortality and the shifting of tree species distribution as climate change leads to ecological changes on the ground. Climate change is now, of course being something we already kinda know...but it's concerning when one thinks we just crossing into the irreversible consequences of it and haven't yet fully committed to doing anything differently.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Really? No one is going to make a dick joke? smh...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Really? No one is going to make a dick joke? smh...

- Doc

nobody... (up to now)

most of tigons and ligers (do your homework to search them), and all mules are barren
no dicks' and pussies' story...
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Let's hope Trump does not grant the Church request to replace this largest organism with a new shopping mall.

Also, be thankful Stonehenge is not in Utah or it would have been replaced with McDonald's some time ago.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace