Tidal wave of sexual assault-misconduct allegations list

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Tidal wave of sexual assault-misconduct allegations list

Post by _EAllusion »

Let me just stop right here and point out that I have walked this earth as a woman for years longer than most posters on this board have likely been alive. I well understand the variables that come into play in these types of situations. I don't know who EA thought he was lecturing or correcting or what-the-hell-ever, but I do have first hand experience (and also second hand accounts--because women talk to each other) to draw on that he'll never have, so he can basically take his overused "victim blaming" cop out and stuff it.

Until we engage the issue beyond what a sick “F” the perpetrator was and recognize that there are indeed self defense and evasive measures that a victim might take (some of which come as reflex to some women though certainly not all), encourage women to take self defense classes in order to determine how, when and whether or not to use such techniques, take measures in an attempt to prevent such things from happening in the work place, and recognize that the feminist movement has let women down, we're no further along in countering these offenses against women than the next string of victims that come along.

You argued, literally, that if a woman doesn't fight back enough then, quoting you here, " I would have taken that as a "yes". I contend that anyone would have taken that as a "yes".

Women have a responsibility to conduct themselves in such a way as to thwart unwanted advances. "

Regardless of whether or not it is advisable to fight back in certain circumstances, failure to do so doesn't make it consent. That is a monstrous opinion. You tried to qualify your comments by proactively saying you weren't victim blaming doing the sexual assault equivalent of "I'm not a racist, but..." This was striking as your comment was about as classic victim blaming as is possible to come up with. It's the platonic ideal of victim blaming. I give you the benefit of the doubt that you just aren't thinking so good rather than you genuinely thinking what you said. Perhaps this is yet another example in which your desire to project a tough image gets ahead of what is sensible to say. In any case, whether or not you've been the victim of a sexual assault doesn't excuse or validate what you are saying. Consent isn't determined by how much you resist a coercive situation even if the best move would've been to resist. No, not anyone would've taken that as a "yes."

P.S. Women talk to men too. Maybe your age isn't helping you out on this one.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Another feminist Liberal progressive bites the dust:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/13/tavis-smi ... isconduct/

eta: As evidenced by some posters on this board, it's interesting to see so many Liberal males outed as bigots, racists, and misogynists.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

There have been so many additions that I don't know how I'm going to maintain the main list. I will try. I'd really like to be able to view one list, I guess for the impact alone.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

From the Washington Post:

Kentucky lawmaker who was accused of molesting a teenage girl likely killed himself, coroner says

Dan Johnson left the following Facebook Post (now deleted) before his body was found with a single gunshot wound to the head.

"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I was just coming to post about that, MeDot!

Rep. Dan Johnson (KY) (newly deceased)

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/1 ... /23306737/
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I find great pathos in his post. Here is a guy who has compartmentalized his life. He now has to put all of these disparate parts together.

AMERICA will not survive this type of judge and jury fake news....I cannot handle it any longer. IT has won this life. BUT HEAVEN IS MY HOME.

He's using his faith to justify his suicide.

Doesn't quite jibe from what is being described in the article:

The victim, now 21, told KyCIR that for years she had considered Johnson to be a “second dad.” She became close with his daughter, Sarah, and familiar with the boozy weekend parties Johnson would throw at the “Pope’s House” — the fellowship hall next to the Heart of Fire Church. Those parties, KyCIR reported, featured scantily clad women, body shots and costumes.

In the first hours of 2013, as a New Year’s Eve party came to an end, the victim, then 17, was spending the night with Johnson’s daughter in the apartment under the fellowship hall, according to the report. The Post does not identify victims of sexual assault without their consent.

Johnson entered, drunk and stumbling, so the victim helped him navigate the stairs. She thought he was putting his arm around her for balance. Until his hand allegedly slipped up her shirt, KyCIR reported.

The victim then woke up later that night on the sofa. She found Johnson kneeling above her. She told KyCIR that he kissed her forehead and then slipped his hands up her shirt and bra. The report said he groped her, stuck his tongue in her mouth and put his fingers in her vagina. She begged him to stop and tried to force the man, who weighed twice as much as she did, off her without waking Johnson’s daughter, KyCIR reported.

From Dan Johnson's Facebook post:

if you love me...blame no one,Satan is the accuser, so blame the DEVIL himself.

He sounds like a man who cannot fit his own life into his moral cosmology. Who he IS, in his own mind, is so far away from what he DID.

There's a similar refrain you hear from people who are caught in extreme behavior: "That's not me. I'm not like that." Obviously they ARE like that. What they are is NOT like is the image they have of themselves. It's what Flip Wilson used to say as Geraldine: The Devil made me do it! Just another way of disassociating from their own behavior.

There can be schadenfreude in watching someone fall off a pompous high horse, but a husband and father were taken from his family because of his inability to accept what it meant to have done what he did.

I imagine there are quite a few men right now who are remembering things that they did with young teenage girls. As #MeToo rolls forward, each story of a new disclosure must sound like footsteps getting closer. Little moments of self awareness, where you realize they're talking about you. Not a great way to live, waiting for the other shoe to drop for the rest of your life. So perhaps an indirect benefit of #MeToo will be the sword of Damocles now hanging over the head of some of these guys.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_cafe crema
_Emeritus

Post by _cafe crema »

Mario Batali, chef.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Morgan Spurlock from Supersize Me fame just got ahead of the power curve and copped to being a dog. He even threw in alcohol abuse and being molested. I see the Progressive Liberal men are figuring out how to get ahead of the accusations.

I think Me Dot Org is onto something!

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I just found this on my Facebook feed.

One of the stars of The Weather Channel's "Prospectors" and Woodland Park resident Rich Fretterd 

Sexual assault on a child.

http://www.krdo.com/news/crime/teller-c ... /672912583
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Oh, man You gots ta read this breakout on Dan Johnson:

https://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/7 ... ?context=3

Man, the Republicans really have that Family Values on lockdown, don't they?

- Doc