Charlie Rose: Whoddathunkit?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Charlie Rose: Whoddathunkit?

Post by _Maksutov »

Xenophon wrote:
Maksutov wrote:I'll be the devil here, it's natural for me.

Sexual harassment charges can be weaponized and have been. Remember Emmett Till? The mantra of "I believe the women" echoes "I believe the children" of the Satanic Panic years. Where and what are the constraints to keep allegations connected to some kind of reality?

This is a positive, consciousness raising movement so long as it does not descend into craziness.

I don't think I want to get into a how-to-evaluate-evidence discussion because I'd bet dollar to donuts you know how to do that already

That said, the thing to avoid is the idea that we can entirely dismiss or accept an accusation at the outset(in my opinion). I think a lot of the reason you see the "I believe the women" rising in popularity is because often it was the opposite before. You would see defenders of the accused ask about signaling, clothing, motivations while not asking any of the same questions of the accused. I think if we can find equality in how we weigh evidence we can get much closer to clarity.

Another aspect that some seem to lose track of is that often what victims want and need is validation for their feelings. Obviously in the most egregious cases this is not true, as the victims have probably suffered significant trauma. But in the cases of basic boundaries being crossed I think some fail to recognize how powerful a simple "I'm really sorry that I made you feel uncomfortable, that was never my intention" or "In hindsight I can see how my behavior may have made you uncomfortable and I apologize for that" can be. Some of our inability to respond in this manner is tied to a false narrative that acknowledging someone's pain is ipso facto an admission of guilt. I thought this was demonstrated quite well by Franken's sincere response to Tweeden and her subsequent acceptance of his reply.

To play devil to your devil, Charlie Rose admits that he, at a minimum, behaved insensitively.

Oh, I'm not commenting on Rose or anyone else in particular. We're all shuffling, I hope, towards awareness and justice. I think this is potentially a wonderful moment if it doesn't go off course.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Maksutov wrote:Oh, I'm not commenting on Rose or anyone else in particular. We're all shuffling, I hope, towards awareness and justice. I think this is potentially a wonderful moment if it doesn't go off course.

Ah, point taken. I can definitely get behind that sentiment. That fact that many are worried we could go off course if we take it too far is a healthy sign of self-awareness.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:I watched him on occasion. He definitely knew what he was talking about. Sad to see he didn't live up to his public image.

You saw a performer. We don't treat these public figures with enough skepticism. The networks put up people who have been focus group tested for positive impressions. They are products. We project depth and wisdom onto them from our own imaginations.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Just don't tell me Walter Cronkite used to hit on interns. I don't think I could take it.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:You saw a performer. We don't treat these public figures with enough skepticism. The networks put up people who have been focus group tested for positive impressions. They are products. We project depth and wisdom onto them from our own imaginations.

TV has been a business about viewership for a long time now. I've more of a reaction to his personal failures, and his loss of respect. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt (I don't always succeed at it)), but here there is little to no doubt because he admitted it.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

The CCC wrote:I watched him on occasion. He definitely knew what he was talking about. Sad to see he didn't live up to his public image.

I feel the same way you do about him. I often admired his point of view and the depth and insight of his interviews and comments. I am deeply disappointed in him.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison