Soooo, is MG worth FOUR of our fine posters now?!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Soooo, is MG worth FOUR of our fine posters now?!

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
fetchface wrote:My understanding was that MG was not to start threads like the "derailing" thread he just started, that he specifically promised not to, and that he was explicitly warned not to, as quoted by grindael above. I would love to have Shades weigh in with his thoughts on that recent thread.

Weighing in:

He would've crossed the line if nobody else had started a thread about him. Once four or five of threads had been started about him (directly or indirectly), I lost the moral authority to expect him to refrain from doing something that everyone else was allowed to do.

Wait a minute. Here's the problem. On October 25, 2017, you issued this instruction to him.

mentalgymnast wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:MODERATOR NOTE: mentalgymnast, if you intend to refrain from doing something, simply refrain from doing it.

From now on, it is no longer necessary for you to start a thread announcing what you will refrain from doing.

I hereby alleviate you from that burden henceforth and forever.

RULE OF THUMB:

Has something to do with Mormonism: Thread start yes.
Has NOTHING to do with Mormonism: Thread start NO.

Fair enough. Thread is closed.

Regards,
MG

And he agreed.

You did so because he has been a chronic offender. "Everyone else" are not chronic offenders. They are simply reacting to the loss of posters over what they saw as a "too little, too late" ruling on your part.

And now it looks like you're waffling on the above by not delivering a consequence for the "Derailing" thread he started which violates your above directive, which he himself agreed to.

I've been defending your primary directive to him all over these threads. I see no way to defend the above. Either "no" means "no" or it doesn't. Either "forever" means "forever" or it doesn't.

This is why I've said prior that many in this community have lost a sense of trust in the principle of unbiased moderation here.

It's just getting ridiculous at this point.
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Maksutov wrote:
I have a question wrote:That is very disappointing, on a few levels.

Perhaps TBMs should be granted a get out of rules free card so that we can be "fair and balanced". :wink:

Perish the thought. This isn’t the MAD board. :wink:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

And he agreed.

You did so because he has been a chronic offender. "Everyone else" are not chronic offenders. They are simply reacting to the loss of posters over what they saw as a "too little, too late" ruling on your part.

And now it looks like you're waffling on the above by not delivering a consequence for the "Derailing" thread he started which violates your above directive, which he himself agreed to.

I've been defending your primary directive to him all over these threads. I see no way to defend the above. Either "no" means "no" or it doesn't.

This is why I've said prior that many in this community have lost a sense of trust in the principle of unbiased moderation here.

It's just getting ridiculous at this point.

Jersey Girl has a point, Shades. Based on your own instructions that he agreed to, he screwed up. Putting MG on a one week que for his failing to follow his own commitment seems appropriate.
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:Jersey Girl has a point, Shades. Based on your own instructions that he agreed to, he screwed up. Putting MG on a one week que for his failing to follow his own commitment seems appropriate.

Yes, I do have a point. This was also a point of contention for grindael, now departed.

Whether Shades intends it to be so or not, from the other side of the screen, it looks like waffling.
Chinese Proverb
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Jesse Pinkman wrote:Jersey Girl has a point, Shades. Based on your own instructions that he agreed to, he screwed up. Putting MG on a one week que for his failing to follow his own commitment seems appropriate.

Yes, I do have a point. This was also a point of contention for grindael, now departed.

Whether Shades intends it to be so or not, from the other side of the screen, it looks like waffling.

Methinks the good doctor has some ponderizing to do. I think he's probably heard from all sides. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Maksutov wrote:Methinks the good doctor has some ponderizing to do. I think he's probably heard from all sides. :wink:

This is the job he signed on for when he dreamed up this board years ago.

I can see how his moderator comments send mixed messages to the community. I can almost predict how he'll respond to my post (if he does respond). I'll have to wait to see how accurate I am.
Chinese Proverb
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Methinks the good doctor has some ponderizing to do. I think he's probably heard from all sides. :wink:

This is the job he signed on for when he dreamed up this board years ago.

I can see how his moderator comments send mixed messages to the community. I can almost predict how he'll respond to my post (if he does respond). I'll have to wait to see how accurate I am.

It's a noble experiment. A sort of little microcosm, a microsociety, with wild dynamics and unintended consequences at times. Humans! :lol: Pesky little primates always making messes and fighting.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Maksutov wrote:It's a noble experiment. A sort of little microcosm, a microsociety, with wild dynamics and unintended consequences at times. Humans! :lol: Pesky little primates always making messes and fighting.

Yes, but since the universe is made for our sake, we be fine..... :biggrin:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

MG started a thread about a minor comment he already made on another thread already devoted to that subject. Seemed like whipping up drama again to me, but mine isn't the only valid opinion out there I guess.

I'm not a moderator, nor do I want to be, but if I were the moderator I would issue the same warning to all of the other "offenders" that start garbage threads about MG and I would queue MG. This starting threads about posters and posting style is getting really ridiculous. You are right that others were doing the same thing as MG, but MG is definitely one step further down the discipline chain. I actually really respect the attempt to apply the standards evenly to all posters.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

fetchface wrote:MG started a thread about a minor comment he already made on another thread already devoted to that subject. Seemed like whipping up drama again to me, but mine isn't the only valid opinion out there I guess.

I'm not a moderator, nor do I want to be, but if I were the moderator I would issue the same warning to all of the other "offenders" that start garbage threads about MG and I would queue MG. This starting threads about posters and posting style is getting really ridiculous. You are right that others were doing the same thing as MG, but MG is definitely one step further down the discipline chain. I actually really respect the attempt to apply the standards evenly to all posters.

Good points, fetchface. I understand Dr. Shades approach I think - one time he made a comment about how a first time rule breaker might only deserve a slap on the wrist while a chronic rule breaker would get a different result, which I would agree is entirely appropriate. Even in the context of first time vs. chronic rule breaking however, I think there is still room to make sure the standards are applied evenly.