MG Board

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: MG Board

Post by _Tator »

Exiled wrote:I wonder if (the troll) uses that as a way to blunt his criticisms? If he is polite, then he is not really confrontational when he derails threads and not being like the devil?

:idea: a passive part of the troll's personality?
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DrW wrote:Sort of like reincarnation?

Like hidden in plain sight.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Tator wrote:
Exiled wrote:I wonder if (the troll) uses that as a way to blunt his criticisms? If he is polite, then he is not really confrontational when he derails threads and not being like the devil?

:idea: a passive part of the troll's personality?

It's an anticipatory technique as well. If anyone points out the passive-aggressive undertones in a post, the response is to point to items like winkies, smilies, sig lines like 'Regards', or certain technically polite phrases to shift blame, as in, "obviously, I was kidding, wow you need to lighten up!"

It is a pretty standard passive aggressive strategy that capitalizes on the slight ambiguity of written posts to shift blame when passive aggressiveness is pointed out. Here's a very typical response from this board that I analyzed a while back that contains these techniques, and my deconstruction of it using current research into passive aggressive trolling in online communities:

all italic inserts are from
Crazy-Makers: Dealing With Passive-Aggressive People
a troll wrote:Oh. I'm sorry. I did NOT mean that comment as a personal slight on your intelligence, etc. I apologize if that's the way you took it.
....the purpose of passive-aggressive behavior is for the aggressor to avoid responsibility for their actions. PA behavior can easily be denied or blame shifted: “I didn't mean it the way you took it” or “You're being too sensitive"
a troll wrote:I've seen others that haven't been able to work through one thing or another and I am truly sorry that they haven't been able to do so.
...seeks to express anger in an indirect manner...by doing so the individual is able to deny all responsibility for the anger....
a troll wrote:But it's NOT, again, something that I look at as making you lesser than, etc. Please don't take it that way.
...A common example is criticizing as if you are concerned...
a troll wrote:If necessary, I'll completely retract that statement if you can't see your way around it as as being something other than some kind of an insult, etc.
Typically, as the purpose is to control and/or deflect responsibility for anger, the passive-aggressive behavior causes frustration or anger in the recipient and will escalate conflict unless the recipient handles it passively by swallowing, ignoring, or discounting their anger..
a troll wrote:I may have hit a sensitive spot. Again, sorry.
... if the comment is confronted, the person will often deny responsibility by stating something like, "I'm just concerned about you. Wow, are you sensitive!"

:rolleyes: So yes, part of a troll's personality.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

EAllusion wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:Ludwig was a light unto this board. God bless him.

The man has an extremely distinctive posting style. I'd think people would be able to pick it up in another alias...

DrW wrote:Sort of like reincarnation?

More like he never left. But what do I know?!! :lol:

All I know is I have always enjoyed any and all Ludwigm-esque posts, whoever makes them.