The party of inclusion...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

The party of inclusion...

Post by _subgenius »

...ain't the Democratic one. Which, of course, surprises no one.

Apparently, being a Hispanic in Congress does not automatically qualify you to join the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
The Capitol Hill organization that counts 31 Democrats (29 House members and two senators) among its ranks — and zero Republicans — has rejected a request by Florida GOP Rep. Carlos Curbelo to join the group.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 871865001/

Note that Curbelo is already a member of, what may be considered, the Republican version of this caucus that was formed during Bush years due to obvious isolation from the CHC (and the repub version allows non-hispanics to apply)....again, the Dems sideline mantras about inclusion whenever they enjoy a majority position.

Paz said he could not recall another instance where a member who asked to join was turned down.
The Congressional Hispanic Caucus, founded in 1976, describes itself as being "dedicated to voicing and advancing, through the legislative process, issues affecting Hispanics in the United States, Puerto Rico and U.S. Territories."

My opinion is that this type of politic, from either position on this story, is the new norm and thus will go unnoticed by most....but is it not yet another missed opportunity by the Dems where they rely on the hubris that Hispanics must surely vote for them, and for them alone ?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: The party of inclusion...

Post by _Res Ipsa »

subgenius wrote:...ain't the Democratic one. Which, of course, surprises no one.

Apparently, being a Hispanic in Congress does not automatically qualify you to join the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
The Capitol Hill organization that counts 31 Democrats (29 House members and two senators) among its ranks — and zero Republicans — has rejected a request by Florida GOP Rep. Carlos Curbelo to join the group.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 871865001/

Note that Curbelo is already a member of, what may be considered, the Republican version of this caucus that was formed during Bush years due to obvious isolation from the CHC (and the repub version allows non-hispanics to apply)....again, the Dems sideline mantras about inclusion whenever they enjoy a majority position.

Paz said he could not recall another instance where a member who asked to join was turned down.
The Congressional Hispanic Caucus, founded in 1976, describes itself as being "dedicated to voicing and advancing, through the legislative process, issues affecting Hispanics in the United States, Puerto Rico and U.S. Territories."

My opinion is that this type of politic, from either position on this story, is the new norm and thus will go unnoticed by most....but is it not yet another missed opportunity by the Dems where they rely on the hubris that Hispanics must surely vote for them, and for them alone ?

There's probably some inside baseball on this that I'm not aware of, but it looks like an unforced error to me. I'm pretty sure the democratic party knows that it doesn't automatically command the entire Hispanic vote. The fact that Cuban immigrants are reliable Republican voters is pretty well known. In fact, according to the article, divisions over Cuba is why Republicans left the Caucus 20 years ago to form their own conference.

Still, if an R wants to join the D caucus because he feels closer in alignment with the Ds on issues important to Hispanics, why not let him in? It at least has the appearance of being petty, stupid, and short sighted. If my Congresscritter were in the caucus, I'd be on the phone raising hell.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951