Trump says Putin told him he didn't meddle

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Trump says Putin told him he didn't meddle

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I just wish he would have asked him earlier. It would have saved a lot of time. If you can't trust Vladimir Putin, who can you trust? Didn't George Bush look into Putin's eyes and get a sense of his soul?

DANANG, Vietnam — President Trump said on Saturday that he believed President Vladimir V. Putin was sincere in his denials of interference in the 2016 presidential elections, calling questions about Moscow’s meddling a politically motivated “hit job” that was hindering cooperation with Russia on life-or-death issues.

Speaking after meeting privately with Mr. Putin on the sideline of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit meeting in Danang, Vietnam, Mr. Trump said that he had again asked whether Russia had meddled in the contest, but that the continued focus on the issue was insulting to Mr. Putin.

Mr. Trump said it was time to move past the issue so that the United States and Russia could cooperate on confronting the nuclear threat from North Korea, solving the Syrian civil war and working together on Ukraine.

“He said he didn’t meddle — I asked him again,” Mr. Trump told reporters traveling with him aboard Air Force One as he flew to Hanoi for more meetings. “You can only ask so many times. I just asked him again. He said he absolutely did not meddle in our election. He did not do what they are saying he did.”

Mr. Trump did not answer a direct question about whether he believed Mr. Putin’s denials, but his account of the conversation indicated he was far more inclined to accept the Russian president’s assertions than those of his own intelligence agencies, which have concluded that Mr. Putin directed an elaborate effort to interfere in the vote.

“Every time he sees me he says, ‘I didn’t do that,’ and I really believe that when he tells me that, he means it,” Mr. Trump said of Mr. Putin. “I think he is very insulted by it, which is not a good thing for our country.”
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Trump says Putin told him he didn't meddle

Post by _The CCC »

Drumpf is either insane and/or a Russian agent. We know he is insane, now we just have to figure out if he is a Russian agent as well.

Let this sink in
The President of the United States of America told the world on foreign soil that he accepts Putin's word over the intelligence agencies in America.
If that is not treason, what exactly is treason?

LOCK HIM THE ____ UP!
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Strange that totally innocent Donald Trump keeps behaving like a parody of a guilty person.

And on that note:

The Trump admin has been caught lying about Papadopoulos's role in the Trump campaign:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/us/r ... trump.html
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

I don't think Trump is learning anything at all, the guy just needs to retire. I bet his intelligence briefings are a waste of time. Trump is just there for Twitter and to sign what Pence tells him to sign.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The CCC wrote:Drumpf is either insane and/or a Russian agent. We know he is insane, now we just have to figure out if he is a Russian agent as well.

Let this sink in
The President of the United States of America told the world on foreign soil that he accepts Putin's word over the intelligence agencies in America.
If that is not treason, what exactly is treason?

LOCK HIM THE ____ UP!

Trump's motives are probably business related. He has made business deals with Russians in the past and hopes to continue his lucrative business deals with them in the future.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Treason for fun and profit. What could possibly go wrong?
_Nomomo
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomomo »

What? Where is the Trump Moron Brigade? (We all know who they are) Why aren't they showing up in this thread to defend/deflect for Trump? Maybe even they aren't stupid enough to try and tackle this one?
The Universe is stranger than we can imagine.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

It gets worse.

Q Did Russia's attempts to meddle in U.S. elections come up in the conversation?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: He said he didn't meddle. He said he didn't meddle. I asked him again. You can only ask so many times. But I just asked him again, and he said he absolutely did not meddle in our election. He did not do what they're saying he did. And he said --

Q Do you believe him?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, look, I can't stand there and argue with him. I'd rather have him get out of Syria, to be honest with you. I'd rather have him -- you know, work with him on the Ukraine than standing and arguing about whether or not -- because that whole thing was set up by the Democrats.

I mean, they ought to look at Podesta. They ought to look at all of the things that they've done with the phony dossier. Those are the big events. Those are the big events.

But Putin said he did not do what they said he did. And, you know, there are those that say, if he did do it, he wouldn't have gotten caught, all right? Which is a very interesting statement. But we have a -- you know, we have a good feeling toward getting things done.

Consider the highlighted blue text. The man who wrote The Art of the Deal is absolutely stymied by the fact a foreign leader would lie to his face? And this is the man who said the U.S. was getting walked over in negotiations. So what does he do? He plays his cards right out in public "I'd rather have him get out of Syria, to be honest with you. I'd rather have him -- you know, work with him on the Ukraine". He just told the Russians exactly what he's thinking (You'd think he would have learned after Lester Holt). He gives Putin the carrot and the stick to manipulate his behavior.

But it's clear from his behavior that he is trying to avoid the horns of a dilemma. If he says he believes his own intelligence agencies, then his own protestations about Russian interference look foolish and ill informed. If he says he believes Putin, he becomes Putin's tool. So he's trying to dance in the area between the two (Putin wouldn't have gotten caught had he done it).

And a little later:

Q: Even if he (inaudible) one-on-one, do you believe him?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I think that he is very, very strong in the fact that he didn't do it. And then you look, and you look at what's going on with Podesta, and you look at what's going on with the server from the DNC and why didn't the FBI take it, why did they leave it; why did a third party look at the server and not the FBI -- if you look at all of this stuff, and you say, what's going on here?

And then you hear it's 17 agencies. Well, it's three. And one is Brennan and one is whatever. I mean, give me a break. They're political hacks.

So you look at it -- I mean, you have Brennan, you have Clapper, and you have Comey. Comey is proven now to be a liar and he's proven to be a leaker.

In response, watch the CNN interview with James Clapper and John Brennan. Donald Trump's weak defenses are becoming more delusional. The man's vanity about his own image is stronger than any sense of responsibility to accept the truth, and this makes him a very dangerous President.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

On a more obliquely related note:

We now have leaked evidence that the Trump campaign was, in fact, corresponding with Wikileaks despite the claims otherwise:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ks/545738/

That piece uncovered even more troubling material. Interestingly, Julian Assange was pushing the Trump campaign to refuse to concede and declare the election rigged.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

EAllusion wrote:On a more obliquely related note:

We now have leaked evidence that the Trump campaign was, in fact, corresponding with Wikileaks despite the claims otherwise:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ks/545738/

That piece uncovered even more troubling material. Interestingly, Julian Assange was pushing the Trump campaign to refuse to concede and declare the election rigged.

It's what we called the old Chinese water torture.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

Who cracks first?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951