"Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: "Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter"

Post by _subgenius »

Res Ipsa wrote:The real mystery is why no one has been offering Roy Moore pickup lines. My favorite so far: "On a scale of 1 to 10, how old are you?"

+1
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

subgenius wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:There now seems to be a pattern to these types of stories, especially if it is about a popular or divisive person.

Yes, the pattern in Alabama is - if you are liberal and hate Roy then he fondled you, and if you are a Republican voter you are content with a person being innocent until proven guilty.

"Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." - Mitt Romney
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

subgenius wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:The real mystery is why no one has been offering Roy Moore pickup lines. My favorite so far: "On a scale of 1 to 10, how old are you?"

+1

I'll trade you another Moore for a Franken....
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
The CCC wrote:Roy Moore probably doesn't even speak German. :rolleyes:

I bet the imbecile has never read a book in his life.

Oh wait, except for the yearbook. I hope the yearbook gets him in big trouble.

Saw it on yahoo news

Let's not go that far! I don't doubt that Moore has read books. He was a DA, which means he must have had enough education to get a law degree. I doubt that anyone can accomplish that without ever having read any books.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re:

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

canpakes wrote:Menendez is on trial for bribery, fraud and conspiracy, and the trial is currently underway and in Week 11. He has already stated that he won't try to seek re-election next year regardless if convicted or not.

What is Breitbart's point? That we're supposed to ask Menendez about Moore's proclivity to chase after teenagers? ; )

For what it is worth, now that his trial has a hung jury due to the the Supreme Court more or less legalizing bribery of public officials, it's looking like he does plan on running again. "Not running" chatter is getting walked back.

It's probably best for Democrats if he doesn't run as that takes a seat that is a surefire Democrat win and gives Republicans an outside shot at winning it. Also, having an openly corrupt Senator isn't good for the brand. But he's probably running and he's probably going to win.

If I were a member of those progressive groups looking to primary Dems to move the party left, I'd throw everything at this race.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

EAllusion wrote:
canpakes wrote:Menendez is on trial for bribery, fraud and conspiracy, and the trial is currently underway and in Week 11. He has already stated that he won't try to seek re-election next year regardless if convicted or not.

What is Breitbart's point? That we're supposed to ask Menendez about Moore's proclivity to chase after teenagers? ; )

For what it is worth, now that his trial has a hung jury due to the the Supreme Court more or less legalizing bribery of public officials, it's looking like he does plan on running again. "Not running" chatter is getting walked back.

Yep. I should have expected that change of heart, but then I didn't expect that he'd get off scot-free.

The fact that he made the promise in the first place probably reveals how 'innocent' (not) he considered himself to be.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

To me, one of the most troubling things about the controversy over Moore's candidacy is that it will take his suspect, highly immoral behavior towards young females to cause him to lose the election, if even that is enough. Without that behavior, there is already more than enough justification to reject his bid for the U.S. Senate.
There is nothing Christian about the policies Moore has supported. They are as immoral as the terrible abuse he so vehemently denies. While he wants to compare his plight to the suffering of Jesus, there is no biblical basis for policies that hurt poor people and children.

As well as he knows his Bible, Roy Moore never quotes from the more than 2,000 verses that exhort us to care for the poor, the sick, and the stranger in our midst. He has apparently overlooked the prophet Isaiah, who said to men like Moore in his own day: "Doom to you who legislate evil, who make laws that make victims — laws that make misery for the poor, that rob the destitute of their dignity, exploiting defenseless widows, taking advantage of homeless children" (Is.10:1-4).

National Republican leaders who claim the moral high ground while renouncing Moore now are like the Republicans who spoke out against white supremacy after Charlottesville, condemning the "hate" but never repenting of white nationalist policy. Their moral outrage rings hollow because it renounces Moore based on his personal patterns but says nothing about the disturbing pattern of his policy agenda.

What is happening right now in Alabama matters for the soul of the nation. Anyone who has any influence must help blacks, progressive whites, and Latinos; gay and straight; Christians, Muslims, Jews, and all who want to move our country forward to get out and vote. This is no time to retreat or remain idle. We must stand up for truth in the public square and reclaim our political and faith traditions which have been hijacked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-unbearable-hypocrisy-of-roy-moores-christian-rhetoric/ar-BBF76DL?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=edgsp
He is a hypocrite of the worst sort and doesn't give a fig about the Christian values he claims to defend.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ironically the top tweet to The CCC's linked quote of Ike is:

You know how you're not supposed to think political opponents are bad people? In the case of Roy Moore I think you need to indulge. Good people don't condone, rationalize or minimize child predatory conduct

Joseph Smith was literally a politician and sexual deviant. You can't make this stuff up.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.