Clinton and the DNC

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Clinton and the DNC

Post by _beastie »

Warning: I'm home sick so am grouchy posting.

Just read this:

I had promised Bernie when I took the helm of the Democratic National Committee after the convention that I would get to the bottom of whether Hillary Clinton’s team had rigged the nomination process, as a cache of emails stolen by Russian hackers and posted online had suggested. I’d had my suspicions from the moment I walked in the door of the DNC a month or so earlier, based on the leaked emails. But who knew if some of them might have been forged? I needed to have solid proof, and so did Bernie.

(cut long explanation of how Clinton managed to take financial control of the DNC long before getting the nomination)

Right around the time of the convention, the leaked emails revealed Hillary’s campaign was grabbing money from the state parties for its own purposes, leaving the states with very little to support down-ballot races. A Politico story published on May 2, 2016, described the big fund-raising vehicle she had launched through the states the summer before, quoting a vow she had made to rebuild “the party from the ground up … when our state parties are strong, we win. That’s what will happen.”

Yet the states kept less than half of 1 percent of the $82 million they had amassed from the extravagant fund-raisers Hillary’s campaign was holding, just as Gary had described to me when he and I talked in August. When the Politico story described this arrangement as “essentially … money laundering” for the Clinton campaign, Hillary’s people were outraged at being accused of doing something shady. Bernie’s people were angry for their own reasons, saying this was part of a calculated strategy to throw the nomination to Hillary.

The agreement—signed by Amy Dacey, the former CEO of the DNC, and Robby Mook with a copy to Marc Elias—specified that in exchange for raising money and investing in the DNC, Hillary would control the party’s finances, strategy, and all the money raised. Her campaign had the right of refusal of who would be the party communications director, and it would make final decisions on all the other staff. The DNC also was required to consult with the campaign about all other staffing, budgeting, data, analytics, and mailings.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... 016-215774

I supported Bernie, but when he lost the nomination, I supported Clinton. There was no contest with Trump, and I stand by that decision.

But this verifies my suspicion that the rumor mill that had whispered, decades ago, that Hillary and Bill had entered into an agreement that he would get the presidency first, and then she would follow later, had actually gotten close to the truth. She felt entitled to not just the presidency but controlling the DNC.

The DNC and Clinton may have gotten what they deserved, but the entire country is paying the price.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Clinton and the DNC

Post by _EAllusion »

Brazille is outright misleading on the issue of the funding agreement, incidentally. Contra her, Sanders also had a joint agreement.

He didn't use the agreement, for obvious reasons, but joint fundraising bargains are standard practice. Brazille's op-ed is more about her positioning herself for who will be running the show in the coming years.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: Clinton and the DNC

Post by _beastie »

Whoops, I apologize for missing the thread already started on this topic.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com