Choo Choo Crash -- Some thoughts on derailing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Choo Choo Crash -- Some thoughts on derailing

Post by _Res Ipsa »

As meta seems to be the order of the day (or week or month), I've been thinking about how to think about derailing and how it works.

As I think EA has mentioned a couple of times, comments in threads tend to wander around. Rarely do the posts in a thread stay strictly on the topic contained in the original post. That's only natural -- it's the way conversations work. Sometimes the conversation wanders so far afield that we could describe the posts as getting "off topic." I've been guilty of that, and I suspect I'll be guilty of it in the future. It seems to me there is a polite, civil way of handling that. If I catch myself doing it, I can start a new thread linked to the existing one for context. If I'm posting in the thread and would really like to focus on the thread's original topic, I can post something like: "Hey, I'm really enjoying talking about the original subject of the thread. Would you mind starting a new thread to talk about X?" A little thought and a little manners and everyone can discuss the stuff that they're interested in.

A derail seems to me to be something different. And in taking a look at some threads that have turned into pie fights, here's something that jumped out at me. The comments that ended up derailing the thread often shifted from the substance of the topic being discussed to the process of the discussion. In other words, the seeds of a derail shift the discussion into a meta discussion.

The November 2016 trainweck is a good example. In the opening post, Grindael posted a lengthy quote from a historical source to start a discussion. MG responded by asking why Grindael had chosen to capitalize certain words in the quote, implying it was misleading for him to do so. MG's post shifted the discussion from the topic started by Grindeal to a discussion about the way Grindael had chosen to discuss the topic. That's a shift from a substantive discussion to a meta discussion.

OK, so what? Well, let's look at the position that the shift puts Grindael in. If he ignores the comment, it leaves an accusation that he's not being honest floating in the air. That's an uncomfortable position for anyone. But, if he responds, a discussion ensues where the topic is now Grindael's use of emphasis and his personal honesty. MG continues the discussion, other folks jump in, and the train gets wrecked.

Here is my modest proposal to address derails that consist of a shift from substance to meta. If you want to inject meta into a discussion, don't do it in the original thread. Start a new one: "In this thread, [link] Grindael posted a lengthy quote with certain words emphasized. I've noticed he frequently does this. Here's what I have to say about that...."] Grindael can then respond to the meta issue without having the original thread derailed.

If someone responds to your post with a shift to meta, seriously consider ignoring it. Trust the folks on the board to be sharp enough to recognize a shift to meta and to not be distracted from the substance of the thread.

If you want to respond to a post that shifts to meta, start a new thread. Respond in the original thread with a link to the new one with a polite "responding in a new thread." Yes, it takes a little time and effort. But it's really no more time and effort than you're going to spend in a full scale train wreck.

Or, click the report link and ask the mods to move the derail. But, really, there's only two of them and you could have handled it yourself. :smile:

Comments, critiques, brickbats, and ironic derails welcome. :wink:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Choo Choo Crash -- Some thoughts on derailing

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Yeah, you're preaching to the choir over here, RI. That technique is one that I've used boards many times. You have to lead some folks by the nose. :rolleyes:

How about repost this in the Terrestrial thread?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:Yeah, you're preaching to the choir over here, RI. That technique is one that I've used boards many times. You have to lead some folks by the nose. :rolleyes:

How about repost this in the Terrestrial thread?

I think it best fits here, and I hate to spam. I suspect the folks that are interested read both places.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Great thoughts, RI. I expressed my disappointment with us as a collective in one of the previous discussions on this. I thought that we probably should have been able to handle this issue better as a community and felt a lot of our wounds were self-inflicted.

I still find myself a bit lost with the VERY light moderation here. I have self reported myself a few times for that "wandering thread" problem you outlined only to be told by Shades that I was okay. It is definitely a fine line we walk in trying to let a conversation grow naturally while keeping things on topic.

That said, while I really like your suggestion and will try to implement/recommend it where I can. I don't know if it will work when the posting is a bit more reflexive. It seemed a lot of the further derailment, the calling out of MG, was often gut-check responses from posters where they wanted to call him out and they wanted to do it now (sometimes understandably, sometimes not). Any method where we create new threads that links back and try to properly direct the flow of conversations probably won't appeal to some posters which will lead them to not heed the advice or just not post (maybe that second option isn't so bad). I may be totally off-base on my assessment here but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

As an aside:

Jersey Girl wrote: How about repost this in the Terrestrial thread?

I know that the Terrestrial is maybe more visited so it would get more views, but shouldn't most meta-discussion be conducted in Spirit Paradise as it doesn't relate to Mormonism? (Should I have made a new thread for this meta-meta discussion? Sorry for derail. :cool: )
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Well, I'll forgive you posting non-ironic meta just this once. :-)

I think you're assessment is spot on. This method won't work in the case of reflexive posting. But I think the most critical post is the one that comes right after the shift to meta. Maybe just by encouraging people to think "hey that's a shift to meta" when they see it will create enough space to interrupt the reflex.

Something like that.

_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

It's funny you use the term "meta" in a context I've not heard before. Being a software engineer I deal with meta data all the time (data about data). It was not until I started playing Eve online several years ago that I learned of meta-gaming which I suspect you have unwittingly referred to here. The term meta in Eve is synonymous with 'grieving' where tears (of the victims) is the goal of the meta gamer. Causing a Rage quit is the golden ring of the meta game.

Yes, I believe MG is all about meta.