How the Mercador Projection lies to you

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

How the Mercador Projection lies to you

Post by _MeDotOrg »

This is just a fun video talking about how the Mercador Projection is so inaccurate. Even when you think you're aware of it, sometimes it surprises you. I'm usually aware of how much smaller Canada, Russian and Greenland are, but still get shocked at how large Africa is.

Anyway it's called How the World Map Looks Wildly Different Than You Think.

"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: How the Mercador Projection lies to you

Post by _EAllusion »

I once spent quite some time training myself in correct landsize comparisons of the globe so I could mentally autocorrect my view of the Mecator projection. I recognize this is a weird trait, yet I'm still proud of it.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

What's scary is that I like the Robinson Projection, I have a comfortable pair of running shoes which I wear every day off when I have a muffin and a large coffee and go for a walk. Right now I'm in the process of cataloging the [url]latest release of old Beatles recordings[/url]. So spookily accurate!

by the way, the latest 6 CD release, while good bang for the buck, feels like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Definitely does not feel 'curated' the way, for example, 'Beatles Rarities' did.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
- Donald Trump
- Edwin Land
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I like the scene from the West Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX-PrBRtTY

And if you have six minutes realizing Russia can fit easily inside Africa pretty much just blows you away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNrtjboISg

I'll stick to globes. :D

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: How the Mercator Projection lies to you

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I like the scene from the West Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX-PrBRtTY

And if you have six minutes realizing Russia can fit easily inside Africa pretty much just blows you away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNrtjboISg

I'll stick to globes. :D

- Doc

...It really does make you think why the Mercator Projection is so popular, when it is so inaccurate. I think it really would make sense to change to a more accurate style. It really would help people see the world more clearly.
- Will Durant
- Donald Trump
- Edwin Land
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

"Your favorite musical genre is "post-" is the funniest line in that xcxd comic.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Could you imagine if the Secretary of Education said she was going to implement this map into our curriculum?

multiple image

People would lose their minds.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

MetDog, you once claimed this would all be remedied by round computer screens
viewtopic.php?p=936763#p936763
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent