Mormon Bigfoot Scientist's latest paper

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Bigfoot Scientist's latest paper

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The CCC wrote:The old much abused Adam God Theory has been rejected by the Church.

Which God do you worship then? If you're in disagreement with Brigham Young are you subordinate to Jehovah, Elohim, or Joseph Smith?

[Joseph Smith] holds the keys of that kingdom for the last dispensation—the keys to rule in the spirit world; and he rules there triumphantly, for he gained full power and a glorious victory over the power of Satan while he was yet in the flesh, and was a martyr to his religion and to the name of Christ, which gives him a most perfect victory in the spirit world. He reigns there as supreme a being in his sphere, capacity, and calling, as God does in heaven. Many will ex claim—"Oh, that is very disagreeable! It is preposterous! We cannot bear the thought!" But it is true.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
The CCC wrote:The old much abused Adam God Theory has been rejected by the Church.

Which God do you worship then? If you're in disagreement with Brigham Young are you subordinate to Jehovah, Elohim, or Joseph Smith?

[Joseph Smith] holds the keys of that kingdom for the last dispensation—the keys to rule in the spirit world; and he rules there triumphantly, for he gained full power and a glorious victory over the power of Satan while he was yet in the flesh, and was a martyr to his religion and to the name of Christ, which gives him a most perfect victory in the spirit world. He reigns there as supreme a being in his sphere, capacity, and calling, as God does in heaven. Many will ex claim—"Oh, that is very disagreeable! It is preposterous! We cannot bear the thought!" But it is true.

- Doc

If BY was wrong, was he under the influence of Satan when he said these things? If not Satan's influence, whose? If other religions are wrong, why don't we give them the same latitude we can give to wrong prophets? Why is Mormon wrong not really wrong but gentile wrong is always wrong? :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:
That would be meaningful if the church showed consistency and coherency, which it doesn't. "The Church" just means whoever is in charge of LDS Inc. public relations at the moment. The church should put out a list of discredited doctrines from the past with explanations of how they created such a mess to start with. Just muttering "continuing revelation" every time they get busted won't wash any more.

Of what possible "public relations" value would denying the old much abused Adam God Theory be. In case you've either forgotten or never knew. We believe in continuing revelation, and have from our beginnings. Maybe you've never heard that the Old Testament is different than the New Testament. An eye for an eye became turn the other cheek.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Maksutov wrote: Mormons gon' Morm.

Yep. It's the Mormon Cinematic Universe. Whatever makes for the coolest fanfic is true at the time, and then you just discard it later because it isn't canon. Or. Whatever, man.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:
If BY was wrong, was he under the influence of Satan when he said these things? If not Satan's influence, whose? If other religions are wrong, why don't we give them the same latitude we can give to wrong prophets? Why is Mormon wrong not really wrong but gentile wrong is always wrong? :wink:

Brigham Young was wrong. He was laboring under a misconception. We've never said other religions are entirely wrong. All have some members(great or small) with at least some wrong idea's, even the LDS one's. "A Prophet is only a Prophet when acting as such". There is nothing in LDS beliefs that has infallibility in any mortal, but one, and we ain't him.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

The CCC wrote:Brigham Young was wrong. He was laboring under a misconception. We've never said other religions are entirely wrong. All have some members(great or small) with at least some wrong idea's, even the LDS one's. "A Prophet is only a Prophet when acting as such". There is nothing in LDS beliefs that has infallibility in any mortal, but one, and we ain't him.

What other things was BY wrong about? Perhaps a bulletized list so we can be concise.

- Doc

_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:Of what possible "public relations" value would denying the old much abused Adam God Theory be. In case you've either forgotten or never knew. We believe in continuing revelation, and have from our beginnings. Maybe you've never heard that the Old Testament is different than the New Testament. An eye for an eye became turn the other cheek.

If you say so. The Jews had their period of militancy, then the Christians had theirs, as they each had the opportunities within their spheres. And on and on it goes. Schism beget schism and continues to do so today. Not what you'd expect if there was an actual divine source, but consistent with human invention, division and error.

What I see in Mormonism is The Incredible Shrinking Prophets. Joseph Smith was a superprophet, BY was lesser in invention but quite the colonizer, then the prophets keep shrinking smaller and smaller. Their powers and knowledge shrivel, their activities become more and more trivial and mundane, rehearsed and repetitive and rote. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Such is the way of the world. The Great, become only good, who become just average, who become poor, who become very bad. Funny how it never works the other way around. There are no heroes, just villains. :sad:

I maybe a pessimist, but I try not to become a cynic.