Trump Disrespects Gold Star Family AGAIN

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Trump Disrespects Gold Star Family AGAIN

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:I think this is a minor scandal on the merits - something that should make you think "what a dick" and move on.

But it is hard to overlook how this would be an explosive outrage lasting months, if not years under Obama, Clinton, or probably any Democrat. Every week offers one or more of these "What if Obama..." moments of infuriating double standard, but this one seems to be in the sweet spot of a particularly egregious example because of the respect for troops angle.

you seem genuinely shocked that hypocrisy and double-standards exists in politics, regardless of office or party. It is almost as if you have literally no awareness for the general history of politics and no knowledge of of American history. I mean, you seriously think you are the only guy that has ever figured this out? Is this your first ever political season? This whole notion of "Geez, Mr. Wilson why don't the Democrats treat a Republican President the same as a Democrat President?" is seriously tiresome and drains the hope out of any dream that your hair fire will eventually die out.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
EAllusion wrote:I think this is a minor scandal on the merits - something that should make you think "what a dick" and move on.

But it is hard to overlook how this would be an explosive outrage lasting months, if not years under Obama, Clinton, or probably any Democrat. Every week offers one or more of these "What if Obama..." moments of infuriating double standard, but this one seems to be in the sweet spot of a particularly egregious example because of the respect for troops angle.

you seem genuinely shocked that hypocrisy and double-standards exists in politics, regardless of office or party. It is almost as if you have literally no awareness for the general history of politics and no knowledge of of American history. I mean, you seriously think you are the only guy that has ever figured this out? Is this your first ever political season? This whole notion of "Geez, Mr. Wilson why don't the Democrats treat a Republican President the same as a Democrat President?" is seriously tiresome and drains the hope out of any dream that your hair fire will eventually die out.

The severity of double standards and bad faith arguments is relatively new and asymmetrically concentrated on the right. It is almost certainly a function of the maturation of right wing media. And even if that wasn't the case, it would still be deserving of criticism.

Acting as though you are just hip to the way politics has always been falls right in the toxic combination of arrogant and ignorant.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:Acting as though you are just hip to the way politics has always been falls right in the toxic combination of arrogant and ignorant.

thanks for confirming the whole you-are-unaware thingy, you should get out more....it can be illuminating.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ey/398225/
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

subgenius wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Acting as though you are just hip to the way politics has always been falls right in the toxic combination of arrogant and ignorant.

thanks for confirming the whole you-are-unaware thingy, you should get out more....it can be illuminating.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ey/398225/

Do you not understand what severity means? I kinda think you do.

When someone points out that Trump's pathological lying is bad and unheard of in an American president, pointing out that politicians have always lied does not refute that point.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Kevin Graham wrote:Yep.

Kelly's comments were quite dark to me and moved this issue from a trifling scandal into something a little more unnerving about how the admin behaves. I mean, it's exhibit 857897457, but just because it isn't surprising doesn't mean it isn't shocking.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Everything Drumpf touches DIES, including the honor of Retired General John F. Kelly.
SEE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6_p7hwUl3o
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

The CCC wrote:Everything Drumpf touches DIES, including the honor of Retired General John F. Kelly.

I completely disagree with your assessment. Here are Kelly's remarks in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt-s41Y-wgA

Show me where his honor died.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Jersey Girl wrote:
The CCC wrote:Everything Drumpf touches DIES, including the honor of Retired General John F. Kelly.

I completely disagree with your assessment. Here are Kelly's remarks in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt-s41Y-wgA

Show me where his honor died.
Lying about the Congresswoman's 2015 speech, arguing that it was wrong of her to be in on a call her friends invited her on, disingenuously portraying her being on that call like it was clandestine, in defending Trump completely ignoring the fact that Trump was flat out lying in calling the Congresswoman's account a lie even though he verified the content, being oblivious to why Trump's comments could be hurtful or why the family might want that known...

The speech also had some seriously wrong and goofy ideas about the good old days when sexual harrassment wasn't a problem and seemed to lament that true citizenship wasn't contingent upon compelled national service.

Kind of a trainwreck. Kelly is not good. Remember him allegedly advising that Mexico was on the cusp of a Venezuela like collapse? Or the recent story of him personally ordering the DHS to dishonestly propagandize undocumented immigrants as hardened criminals? He benefits a lot from lowered expecations because Trump is pure madness and people need him to be an adult in the room.

Hell, if he's there to tackle Trump when he goes for the nuclear football, I'll take it too. But that speech was not a good moment.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

If you need evidence of the most dishonorable bit in that speech:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... y,amp.html
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I missed that news.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb