How did you play?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Re: How did you play?

Post by _Brackite »

Grew up playing in the hills a lot when I was younger. Family moved away from the hills when I was about nine, so I didn't get to play that much in the hills after that.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Brackite wrote:Grew up playing in the hills a lot when I was younger. Family moved away from the hills when I was about nine, so I didn't get to play that much in the hills after that.

I'll bet you miss them. I miss the Rockies.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:So much of what I used to do in terms of nature, I still do. For example, on my recent trip I got to go to a super nice place with sculptures and the grounds were very Zen if you understand what I mean. While walking down a path I got distracted by "Oh my GOD Birch trees!!!" and started picking up the bark on the ground until I had a huge pile in the bag I was carrying. The person with me said, "I take you to this amazing place surrounded with art and you're suddenly filled with joy over the bark on the ground."

:lol:

p.s. I also brought back huge maple leaves. ;-)

I have that collecting problem with pine cones. I usually don't do anything with them myself. I often give them to crafty people about this time of year. I think I just like having their aroma around the house.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Quasimodo wrote:
Brackite wrote:Grew up playing in the hills a lot when I was younger. Family moved away from the hills when I was about nine, so I didn't get to play that much in the hills after that.

I'll bet you miss them. I miss the Rockies.

I still remember my dad killing a rattlesnake by chopping his head off with the shovel in the back yard.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:I have that collecting problem with pine cones. I usually don't do anything with them myself. I often give them to crafty people about this time of year. I think I just like having their aroma around the house.

I have an abundant supply of pine cones. Sometimes I just put them in baskets around the house. I've already painted some this year with metallic paint to use for fall décor. They're awesome! Next will be "snowy" pine cones.

;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:While walking down a path I got distracted by "Oh my GOD Birch trees!!!" and started picking up the bark on the ground until I had a huge pile in the bag I was carrying.

What did you do with it once you got it home?

It's still in my suit case. Long story. Anyway, some of the bark and all of the huge maple leaves will be given to a child. The rest of the bark (is MINE :lol: ) and will be used with my fall décor stuff. I might use a few smaller red maple leaves for art transfer prints on fabric or paper.

Honestly, I'm a nature hoarder. I usually take an extra suit case with me in summer if I'm going to a beach to drag home nature finds. I have baskets and glass containers of sea shells, white and black stones, and sand in one room. I have pine cones from here (Ponderosa, Pinion), from Jersey, and also huge ones from Georgia pines that someone mailed to me. I have cotton from the South, pine bark, sheep wool, feathers, rocks, skulls, crab claws, star fish, acorns, tree cookies, this wild woody plant I can't recall the name at the moment (not thistle, something like it), yucca pods, sunflower seed heads, geodes, deer sheds in my hoard, pumpkin stems, and I can't recall what all else. Long day. I've used almost everything in classrooms or in the house. Not joking.

I'm nuts. I'd rather have all of that than a pile of gold. I keep most of it in storage containers until I'm ready to use them somehow.

And now I have Birch bark!!! Also some from lace bark pine trees. I think that's what it's called, it has holes in it.

:mrgreen:

Here's an example of lace bark. Isn't it pretty?

My Birch bark is from river Birch trees. Here's what I would have coveted it I could have found it. A Birch shedding it's bark is a gold mine to someone like me.

Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Brackite wrote:I still remember my dad killing a rattlesnake by chopping his head off with the shovel in the back yard.

I've never seen that happen in real life but I've seen the aftermath of it. Ugh!
Chinese Proverb