Weinstein asks for a second chance ... run ladies!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Weinstein asks for a second chance ... run ladies!

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:
Prevention strategies aren't practical?
....This is common sense.

Wow. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a hellscape, but it does sound like a warzone.

What sounds like a war zone?

In my view, a war zone is Harvey Weinstein (Cosby, whomever) alone in a room and behind closed doors with a female starlet. That's where the abuse and what the conditions were when these alleged incidents involving Weinstein took place.

I work in the heart of Manhattan where prevention is the watchword of the day, but I have never heard of such extreme measures. My workday would grind to an absolute standstill if I had to never be alone in a room with another adult.

I didn't say that you or anyone else should never be alone in a room with another adult. I addressed job interviews in work environments (all over the US and Germany) that were designed to provide both privacy and transparency.

How is that extreme?

In the last week, I have met one on one with at least five students, both male and female, door closed at their request because they wanted our conversation to be private; I have had private, one on one conversations with our (male) faculty director in a closed-door conference room, with two (male) colleagues in their closed-door offices, and with the (female) office manager in her office. I asked for computer help with the presentation software in our classrooms and met alone with a computer tech (male) in an empty, closed-door classroom for an extended period of time. I have daily, multiple times, gotten on an elevator for a 13 floor ride with only one other person, sometimes male, sometimes female. I have twice carpooled alone in a car for a 1.5 hour commute with one other (male) person, I ate a late lunch in an empty, closed door cafeteria twice with only one other (male) person in the room, I did some reading in my favorite secluded, closed door, windowless reading room in the Law Library where, to my annoyance, one (male) person joined me for about an hour. At least he didn't talk. And the carpool was with my husband, but still....

Are any of those office or classroom environments observable by passers by? Would you object if they were and why?

I agree with the concept of prevention and awareness but I certainly wouldn't feel empowered by such a situation. I cannot fathom trying to function in my university setting if such stringent rules were in place as you describe.

Observable environments and team interviews in the work place are stringent?

There has got to be a reasonable balance without infantilizing women to such an extent.

Why the sole focus on women? Men are likewise subjected to abuse in the work place. Both male and females are subjected to false allegations. I don't see this as infantilizing women. I see this as adults functioning in sensible ways in an attempt to prevent misconduct.

What do you suggest in terms of reasonable measures and/or prevention strategies that might prevent misconduct in the work place?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Why the sole focus on women?

?? I was responding to YOU:
Jersey Girl wrote:God forbid we empower women.
Isn't that a focus on women?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:
Why the sole focus on women?

?? I was responding to YOU:
Jersey Girl wrote:God forbid we empower women.
Isn't that a focus on women?

Oh you were!

I was looking at your remark following the descriptions you supplied about interactions with both male and female colleagues, students, etc.

We apparently need a guide map on this thread.

;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Jersey Girl -

Should women go out on dates alone with men?

Should women sometimes sit in a parked car with their date and kiss?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

beastie wrote:Jersey Girl -

Isn't that conflating what we're talking about on this thread? We're talking about power dynamics in a corporate environment, no?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
beastie wrote:Jersey Girl -

Isn't that conflating what we're talking about on this thread? We're talking about power dynamics in a corporate environment, no?

- Doc

Oh, I don't think the topic is that narrow. A good portion of this thread appears to be about what people should do to be pro-actively protective of themselves, to avoid situations in which they may be at risk for unwelcome sexual advances and/or assault.

And since the main point of this thread seems to be centered on women protecting themselves, I think it's a reasonable question.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

The issue is one of consent. A couple making out in a car, a hotel room, or any reasonably private place is OK as long as both willingly consent. Put duress into the equation and it becomes something vastly different.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The CCC wrote:The issue is one of consent. A couple making out in a car, a hotel room, or any reasonably private place is OK as long as both willingly consent. Put duress into the equation and it becomes something vastly different.

What happens when consent is retroactively withdrawn and rape or assault is alleged? How does one protect oneself from that without having to carry a legal document in one's pocket all the time?

In this day and age a simple allegation is enough to destroy a life.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/colu ... 3e950.html

tldr; Black immigrant Uber driver “F” ed over due to false rape accusation

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

The CCC wrote:The issue is one of consent.

You are perpetuating an arbitrary notion.

Not too many years ago it was a valid legal defense for consent being considered granted by "the way she was dressed". Your notions "on women" are still archaic and patriarchal.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

subgenius wrote:Not too many years ago it was a valid legal defense for consent being considered granted by "the way she was dressed". Your notions "on women" are still archaic and patriarchal.

Is there something about consent you don't understand. Consent is a two way street. It works for men and woman. A couple sitting in a car consensually making out is far different than nonconsensually. You can run around in public bare-butt naked as far as I care. Personally I dress for warmth and to not scare the public. According to you this little girl asked for it.
SEE http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/i ... -1.1088201