Blade Runner 2049 (spoil at will)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Blade Runner 2049 (spoil at will)

Post by _subgenius »

This movie did not disappoint. If you were a fan of original or just enjoy good sci-fi, then this movie is a recommended must-see. I thought the cinematography was excellent, the writing was clever and both Ford and Gosling delivered "character" performances that qualify them as consummate professionals. Impressive was the departure from the usual formulas for movie sequels and the themes were certainly modern, innovative, and inspiring. Only real criticism I can offer is that at 3 hours it pushes the limits of restraining whatever was consumed from the concession stand; perhaps the "resistance" scene was a bit heavy handed and altogether unnecessary, but easily forgiven as a brief distraction.

I am curious what others think about this movie as well as some of the presented topics.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Blade Runner 2049 (spoil at will)

Post by _EAllusion »

The cinematography, production design, and audio design were simply stunning. Some of the best ever, without exaggeration. It should be seen in the theaters to take in how awe-inspiring the film is.

I think it is a very good sci-fi noir bordering on a masterpiece that has some distractingly fannish elements. It's very self-aware of its adulation of the original and is presented to call your attention to it at times. Deckard slowly emerging from the shadows comes to mind. In a rarity for a sequel, I think a viewer would appreciate this film more if they never have seen the original.

I think this film captures the spirit of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep better than Blade Runner does. The ending is a weak-spot for me, but then that's always been the case in Dick's stories too.

The film is packed full of homages and references that at times seem more derivative than a nod. The romantic subplot feels more like a rip-off of Her (one of the best films of the past 10 years incidentally) than a simple homage to it.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Blade Runner 2049 (spoil at will)

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:The cinematography, production design, and audio design were simply stunning. Some of the best ever, without exaggeration. It should be seen in the theaters to take in how awe-inspiring the film is.

Agreed, it was worth every cent to see it at my local Imax theater

EAllusion wrote:I think it is a very good sci-fi noir bordering on a masterpiece that has some distractingly fannish elements. It's very self-aware of its adulation of the original and is presented to call your attention to it at times. Deckard slowly emerging from the shadows comes to mind. In a rarity for a sequel, I think a viewer would appreciate this film more if they never have seen the original.

Likely correct, my wife had not seen the original and immediately wanted to - and wasn't disappointed. Though she expected the original to insinuate a pregnancy. I really appreciate how this sequel did not pander to the usual sequel tropes and created a true continuation/evolution.

EAllusion wrote:I think this film captures the spirit of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep better than Blade Runner does. The ending is a weak-spot for me, but then that's always been the case in Dick's stories too.

Agreed

EAllusion wrote:The film is packed full of homages and references that at times seem more derivative than a nod. The romantic subplot feels more like a rip-off of Her (one of the best films of the past 10 years incidentally) than a simple homage to it.

I did not mind the romance with Joi, I thought it was a fascinating introduction into AI themes and discussions...especially when she has K move all her data to being portable even though she might "die" - like a real girl.

It really reinforced K's character arc for how having a soul may not be the product of being born but may be the product of free-will...of choosing. But yeah, this movie raised the bar for sci-fi flicks, as they had all but plateaued over the past several years....several years.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent