Vital and urgent question for Quasimodo.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Vital and urgent question for Quasimodo.

Post by _I have a question »

Cotes De Rhône or Bordeaux?
(Terms: Social consumption with nibbles of a savoury variety, including white meats and sea food)
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Vital and urgent question for Quasimodo.

Post by _Quasimodo »

Hi IHAQ!

Yes it's gloomy here. Loss of life, a great loss of homes and a great loss of vineyards in Napa and Sonoma.

All those lovely old growth vines gone forever. We still have our Central Coast wines to drown our sorrows, though (Cental Coast wines are a bit better, anyway). Paso Robles Zins will have to fill in for the lack of Napa and Sonoma Cabs.

All this happening right at the crush.

I've heard that France also produces some wines. I might have to give those a try.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Quasimodo wrote:Hi IHAQ!

Yes it's gloomy here. Loss of life, a great loss of homes and a great loss of vineyards in Napa and Sonoma.

All those lovely old growth vines gone forever. We still have our Central Coast wines to drown our sorrows, though (Cental Coast wines are a bit better, anyway). Paso Robles Zins will have to fill in for the lack of Napa and Sonoma Cabs.

I've heard that France also produces some wines. I might have to give those a try.

Nightmare mate. Stay frosty and slightly buzzed.

*the French are relative newcomers to the wine game, best wait till they’ve established some brands...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

I have a question wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Hi IHAQ!

Nightmare mate. Stay frosty and slightly buzzed.

*the French are relative newcomers to the wine game, best wait till they’ve established some brands...

Buzzed might work, but frosty may be difficult. There is another raging wildfire not far from us right now that is burning a lot of homes and is only 5% contained.

First Trump, hurricanes and now this. Oh, to be in England now that Autumn is here.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Quasi, I live in San Francisco. Monday morning I walked out my door and immediately smelled the acrid smoke of the fires. If you are in the fire area, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Fires are not like hurricanes in the sense that you have virtually no time to prepare. You can't go down to your basement and ride it out, you would be cooked alive. From what I understand, these fires EXPLODED into existence. At Kaiser Hospital in Santa Rosa, patients were being evacuated in the private cars of doctors and nurses.

Stay safe, Quasi.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

MeDotOrg wrote:Quasi, I live in San Francisco. Monday morning I walked out my door and immediately smelled the acrid smoke of the fires. If you are in the fire area, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Fires are not like hurricanes in the sense that you have virtually no time to prepare. You can't go down to your basement and ride it out, you would be cooked alive. From what I understand, these fires EXPLODED into existence. At Kaiser Hospital in Santa Rosa, patients were being evacuated in the private cars of doctors and nurses.

Stay safe, Quasi.

Thanks for that, MeDotOrg.

The Santa Ana's have been kind to us down here today. The fire is 25% contained last I heard. Mild winds and tomorrow is expected to much cooler and more humid with onshore winds. That doesn't seem to be the case in your part of CA. It's still horrible up there.

_I have a question
_Emeritus

I’d pray but I think you folks need something more practical.

Where’s the best place to contribute in some way?

Take it easy Quasi, and protect that wine cellar at all costs!
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

I have a question wrote:I’d pray but I think you folks need something more practical.

Yes, practical is much better. I think one fire hose with a trained fireman attached is worth a world full of prayers.

I have a question wrote:Where’s the best place to contribute in some way?

This looks like a good place: http://www.refinery29.com/2017/10/176002/how-to-help-victims-wildfire-northern-california

Of course, I will also be taking personal donations. Full bodied reds will go a long way to easing my distress. ;)

I have a question wrote:Take it easy Quasi, and protect that wine cellar at all costs!

Garden hose at the ready!

Seriously, IHAQ, I do appreciate your concern. I hate it when natural disasters affect me personally.