A heartfelt thanks

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Re: A heartfelt thanks

Post by _Maxine Waters »

Analytics wrote:
Maxine Waters wrote:As you all know I quit my corporate job and joined a group of ODs this year. It was a bold risk and I took a lot of heat at home for my decision. But in 8 months I've already earned more than I got paid in salary the entire year last year. I work hard, long, and fast but finally I'm getting paid better for it. I've even had several $1000 Saturdays. None of it would have been possible without you liberals and your Medicaid. I probably wouldn't have the clientele I do without my Mormon mission that taught me Spanish and you liberals who have kept the borders open. So for all you on this board who dedicate yourselves to raising taxes upon the American worker all I can now say is thanks. Perhaps I can be at more at peace since I've found a way that I can benefit from laws like this as well.

Sincerly,

Ajax

Congratulations on your career success and the contribution you are making to society. At the least, I appreciate you recognizing the irony of how you make money providing services to people you despise who pay for their care with a government program you despise even more. If the country and its elected leaders continue to become more like you then your wish might come true and your patients will lose their ability to pay for your services. When that day comes, I hope you enjoy the victory.

ETA: In all seriousness, making money off of the government by providing extremely valuable services to Americans is an honorable thing to do, and I don't resent my tax dollars being used this way in the least. I want to live in a society where everybody who needs glasses can get them.

What gets my blood boiling are the tens of thousands of consultants and contractors who become multi-millionaires by providing goods and services to the military-industrial complex, and the massive propaganda machine that was engineered to scare us into funding it.

That's how my Dad made a living. It's why my first love was physics. But as you can see my Dad didn't see much future in it. Most rocket scientists are Republican but some Democrats found themselves on the other side of thed coin in that line of work as I have in mine.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

So if Trump is able to reduce all public health care to a trickle and reverse the flow of immigration, would that adversely affect your optical services?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

moksha wrote:So if Trump is able to reduce all public health care to a trickle and reverse the flow of immigration, would that adversely affect your optical services?

Yo creo que no.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Maxine Waters wrote:I'm not the only doctor who has questioned the sight of people arriving in a hummer with gold teeth, a small fortune in tattoos, $600 cell phone, etc. and being on Medicaid.

So you are fine with those on medicaid who really are poor, and just want the system to better remove those who make enough to pay for their own care?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Themis wrote:
Maxine Waters wrote:I'm not the only doctor who has questioned the sight of people arriving in a hummer with gold teeth, a small fortune in tattoos, $600 cell phone, etc. and being on Medicaid.

So you are fine with those on medicaid who really are poor, and just want the system to better remove those who make enough to pay for their own care?

I think it would be enlightening to ask what proportion of his patients on Medicaid actually correspond to his 'obviously well off with Hummer/gold teeth/etc, etc?). 75%? 50%? 20%? 10%.

Any benefit system that succeeds in providing a basic standard of living for the really poor will inevitably end up giving money to some people who don't deserve it. Checking every applicant in the detail necessary to ensure that never happens would be disproportionately expensive, and waste a lot of money that could be better spent.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

In general if your income is less than 2&1/2 time poverty level you'll qualify for some medicaid benefits.
SEE https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

For the most part yes.

_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

OK: How do you propose to do that?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

The CCC wrote:OK: How do you propose to do that?

He's going to get his city council and order to shut down the SSA building, and then send in his local militia to destroy it and burn it down if they show any resistance.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Pretty sure that wouldn't be effective.