First month of negative job growth in almost 7 years

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: First month of negative job growth in almost 7 years

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Wait. What's the unemployment rate? Also, how many Americans are currently employed against, I dunno, historical records?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Wait. What's the unemployment rate? Also, how many Americans are currently employed against, I dunno, historical records?

- Doc

Not gonna lie, Doc. I'm starting to have a hard time following your point in this exchange.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Xenophon wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Wait. What's the unemployment rate? Also, how many Americans are currently employed against, I dunno, historical records?

- Doc

Not gonna lie, Doc. I'm starting to have a hard time following your point in this exchange.

I'm being absurd. EA posts some nonsense about job numbers, hurricanes, and ties it to climate change. I mean, I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with that. You might as well tell me that Canadian oil shale deposits are responsible for the New England Patriots being 3-2 so far this year.

So. I might as well be absurd and just talk about random crap because apparently the Earth heating up by a couple of degrees and causing more hurricanes this year has resulted in a jobs number variation this month because *climate change*. Or Trump. Or illegal immigrants. Or. I dunno. Obama.

I'm guessing that's largely the impact of the hurricanes. I haven't read much reporting on it yet. Good to know that climate change isn't a problem, though.

The silly crap some people post on this forum sometimes is mind boggling.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I'm being absurd. EA posts some nonsense about job numbers, hurricanes, and ties it to climate change. I mean, I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with that.

There was a significant decline in employment numbers in the past review cycle. This likely was the result of economic devastation caused by two hurricanes displacing people from being able to work. People had to stop working because their jobs, homes, means of transport, supply chains, etc. were damaged to the point that they couldn't work. This in turn feedbacks into distortions in demand. It causes businesses to put hiring on hold until they can stabilize. This had a large enough impact that it shows up in national numbers. This means there was a significant dip in economic productivity.

Climate change, with a good degree of confidence, makes hurricanes with the level of intensity necessary to cause this level of damage more likely to occur. So this is another illustration of how climate change causes economic damage.

I'm not sure at all what part of this is hard for you to connect, so I wouldn't even know where to begin for you. This is not a controversial or complicated thing to understand. If the hard part for you is understanding the connection between the negative job growth numbers and the hurricanes, try reading basically any article on the subject of the jobs report where you'll find that explained. A huge number of people are out of work due to the effects of the hurricanes. This inputs into the general churn of the economy and results in a net negative growth number.

In the upcoming months as those businesses come back on line, you'll see atypically large growth numbers. The problem is you can't get all their lost productivity back so it doesn't even out for the economy at the end of the day. Destroying huge parts of cities hurts their ability improve standard of living. Who knew?
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:You might as well tell me that Canadian oil shale deposits are responsible for the New England Patriots being 3-2 so far this year.

Well, of course. The relationship is obvious. : )
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I think Sterling Archer's explanation of the butterfly effect is what we're looking for here.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land