Georgia Tech Student-Activist Shot Dead

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Georgia Tech Student-Activist Shot Dead

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:So in your world, a trained cop stands no chance against a kid with a tiny tool

Don't be stupid, it was a knife - not a tiny tool. But I would pay to see how you would react if someone came at you with a tiny tool (then you would know how your wife feels)

Kevin Graham wrote:a kid with no apparent physical advantages

wtf? did i miss the wheelchair or the white cane? is being apparently on equal physical ground mean one's life is safe?

Kevin Graham wrote:or history of violence towards others?

I missed the cell phone video segment where they took a minute to google it's criminal history? So, when someone comes after you with a tiny tool do you take a time out to do a background check?

Kevin Graham wrote:Just what kind of worthless pussies do you assume these cops to be anyway?

seems like they must be your kind
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Keep being substupid, it was described by the police as a "multipurpose tool." Shades is acting like it was a 48" samurai sword handled by a trained expert. The guy who fired was new and obviously lacked training to go along with his lack of integrity as a human. Getting immediate support from online trolls who lack a moral compass is just par for the course.

If the kid were 6'5" and 270 lbs of muscle I could understand a cop feeling intimidated and unprepared to physically disarm him. But this kid was anything but intimidating.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:You aren't even reading the posts I made. Why in hell did I even post here again? Why even bother?

I'm reading your posts word-for-word.

EALLUSION:

I misread your post wherein you talked about the overuse of tasers. For some reason I read it as you assuming that they overuse them, but on second reading you're referring to actual research.

I apologize for my oversight.

KEVIN GRAHAM:

The deployed knife is visible in one of the photos to which Jersey Girl linked. It's deployed in "underhand" fashion. See:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_ ... gatech.jpg
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Dr. Shades wrote:
KEVIN GRAHAM:

The deployed knife is visible in one of the photos to which Jersey Girl linked. It's deployed in "underhand" fashion. See:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_ ... gatech.jpg

There WAS no "deployed knife."
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

It is something I'll have to live with for the rest of my life. What really pissed me off was the fact that he forced me to kill him when he pointed that gun at me.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Jersey Girl wrote:There WAS no "deployed knife."

Look at the photo to which you yourself linked.

Switching gears a little, you understand the purpose of "center of body mass," but in this case you disagree with it. Will you please explain why?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Thorough investigation has not taken place but everybody's projecting their own stuff onto this. Jeez.

Would you like to share with the class what stuff is being projected onto this?

I didn't bring enough gum for everybody. But I'm struck by how impassioned people are in interpreting this event and how speculative they're willing to be before a thorough investigation is done. Reactions to shootings (and oh so many other things) are turning into Rorschach tests for personal and often political biases.

Maybe it's people watching too much Law & Order or Dexter and thinking they've become forensic experts overnight?

Sorry about the gum. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

It's just kibbitzing, dude.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:It's just kibbitzing, dude.

- Doc

Yep, that's why I laugh at it. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Maksutov wrote:...(snip)...But I'm struck by how impassioned people are in interpreting this event and how speculative they're willing to be ...(snip)...

struck? how so? - almost all of these posters have consistently displayed this sort of emotional, judgmental, biased, and sophomoric mentality for about every thread on this board.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent