It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Sister Wives' Defeat Polygamy Law in Federal Court
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:36 am 
Teacher

A federal judge ruled late Friday that a key section of Utah law criminalizing polygamy is unconstitutional, granting multi-spouse families the right to live together without facing arrest, so long as they do not acquire multiple marriage licenses.

Post subject: Re: 'Sister Wives' Defeat Polygamy Law in Federal Court
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 am 
Holy Ghost

Did they use the illegal immigrant argument that enforcing the law would unjustly punish the children?

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:46 am 
God

Red Herring.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:27 am 
God

Bgood wrote:
A federal judge ruled late Friday that a key section of Utah law criminalizing polygamy is unconstitutional, granting multi-spouse families the right to live together without facing arrest, so long as they do not acquire multiple marriage licenses.

Good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:10 pm 
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Good.

Are you an ex Mormon EAllusion? Did you descend from polygamists?

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 pm 
God

Maxine Waters wrote:
Quote:
Good.

Are you an ex Mormon EAllusion? Did you descend from polygamists?

No and no.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:18 pm 
Holy Ghost

Quote:
No and no.

You're an atheist right? How did you ever find yourself on a Mormon discussion board?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:03 pm 
God

Quote:
You're an atheist right? How did you ever find yourself on a Mormon discussion board?

Does it really matter? Some atheists take a great deal of interest in religion of all types and in what motivates people to be religious in the first place. Several surveys have shown that atheists are, on average, more knowledgeable about religion in general than even some of the most strongly religious. In fact, it often seems that the more one learns about religion, the more likely one is to lose faith in or be turned off by it. I know that has been the true in my case. Dan Barker, who was a minister for 19 years, has famously said that the surest way to become an atheist is to read the Bible from cover to cover. I think he is probably right about that.

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

Last edited by Gunnar on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:09 pm 
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Does it really matter?

It wasn't a combat question. I was just curious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:34 pm 
God

Gunnar wrote:
Quote:

Does it really matter?

Does it have to matter?
What are you, EAllusion's Prince Charming?
The obvious notion for why it matters is that establishes EAllusion's yet to be revealed motivation on the topic. A Mormon or ex-Mormon perspective may be different than someone who views this as tantamount to the absurd reasoning some people use to justify SSM. Also as an atheist, one has to wonder how EAllusion could possibly offer an opinion in this context since it would a topic that he admittedly has no consideration for. If it is simply "academic curiosity" then obviously some credentials would matter.....though it is likely just a masturbatory exercise for EAllusion.....and here you are coming to his defense and offering a reach-around.

Gunnar wrote:
Some atheists take a great deal of interest in religion of all types and in what motivates people to be religious in the first place.

some religious people do this as well, and both motivations are irrelevant to the question and the topic.

Gunnar wrote:
Several surveys have shown that atheists are, on average, more knowledgeable about religion in general than even some of the most strongly religious.

Yes, and several surveys thought Hillary Clinton would win the election.....and again, irrelevant and does not establish that EAllusion knows anything more or less about religion than anyone else.

Gunnar wrote:
In fact, it often seems that the more one learns about religion, the more likely one is to lose faith in or be turned off by it.

Actually this is not a "fact" but merely your feeble attempt at conjecture...but a successful venture into the common error of false cause
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

Gunnar wrote:
I know that has been the true in my case.

Ah, the inevitable anecdotal evidence put forth as proof of true-ness by a person who believes that there is nothing true to begin with...unless it is scientifically true, by which measure your anecdote is stupid and irrelevant.....and proves nothing (scientifically, amiright?)

Gunnar wrote:
Dan Barker, who was a minister for 19 years, has famously said that the surest way to become an atheist is to read the Bible from cover to cover. I think he is probably right about that.

Not really a "famous" saying...but a known one...and a bit targeted for a certain audience....but we get your cynicism....you know cynicism right?...its an ancient belief system that still bangs around these days in the vacuous space between atheist's ears.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:37 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:
Dan Barker, who was a minister for 19 years, has famously said that the surest way to become an atheist is to read the Bible from cover to cover. I think he is probably right about that.

Not really a "famous" saying...but a known one...and a bit targeted for a certain audience....but we get your cynicism....you know cynicism right?...its an ancient belief system that still bangs around these days in the vacuous space between atheist's ears.

Geez, subs, that's very cynical.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:40 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:

um, i don't believe you have ever known me to claim to be a non-believer, yes? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:

um, i don't believe you have ever known me to claim to be a non-believer, yes? :wink:

Not that I'm aware of. Given that, if the presence of cynicism speaks to a 'vacuous space' between one's ears, then your comment would indicate that the issue would not be limited to 'atheists'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. Given that, if the presence of cynicism speaks to a 'vacuous space' between one's ears, then your comment would indicate that the issue would not be limited to 'atheists'.

No, it is not a condition limited to atheists, but is a characteristic most prevalent among atheists for sure...in fact it might be a prerequisite.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:57 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:

No, it is not a condition limited to atheists, but is a characteristic most prevalent among atheists for sure...in fact it might be a prerequisite.

Now you're just ramping up the cynicism. : )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:00 am 
God

Maxine Waters wrote:
Did you descend from polygamists?

If related to polygamists, let's hope he ascended from them instead.