Republicans who defend the Confederacy

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Republicans who defend the Confederacy

Post by _canpakes »

Maxine Waters wrote:The civil war was about the rights of states to determine their own law as the constitution originally intended. That's why the confederates were right, not because slavery wasn't an evil institution that needed to end.

I think that you need to make a stronger case for this than merely saying so. As Steelhead has already begun to demonstrate - and the link below completes - 'states rights' isn't mentioned in any of the secession statements of those states that left the US. Slavery, however, is specifically mentioned in 7 of the 11 statements.

Even if one was to entertain your claim, then what 'state right' was the kerfuffle all about?

http://civilwardocs.weebly.com/secession.html

Maxine Waters wrote:How much choice do illegal immigrants have about what job they do or where they do it today? An empty belly is a pretty good reason to stay. I'm not saying that slavery was good nor that I'm sorry to see it go. I wish it had never happened. The consequences of it continue to afflict us today and probably will forever. But how much better is employment? Will the descendants of illegal Latino immigrants who basically function as our slaves now see us much differently than the descendants of African slaves do now?

Ajax, you're just continuing to dodge what is a very simple question. And, you keep deflecting to and hiding behind the diversion of the supposed 'inhumanity' of capitalism, as peculiar as that is coming from a conservative. You use the claimed plight of illegal latino immigrants, while not acknowledging that they chose the situation that they're in because they see it as preferable to their situation back home. This is not a parallel situation to what occurred in the antebellum South.

The issue here is free will and self-determination: Do you believe that one person should be able to own another person against the free-will of the one being owned?

I have no intent to judge you on your answer, but I do find it peculiar that you are not able to be straightforward with one.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Re: Republicans who defend the Confederacy

Post by _EAllusion »

It's as though the election of Abraham Lincoln spurred secession from the majority of slave-holding states, not because of his views on federalism, but because he was a free soiler.

Crazy-talk.

You know the South was such dedicated supporters of state self-determination that the Dred Scott decision was widely protested within their borders. Correct?