5 thoughts on the solar eclipse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

5 thoughts on the solar eclipse

Post by _Maxine Waters »

5 thoughts about the Solar Eclipse:
1) Solar Retinopathy (a.k.a. PERMANENT vision loss) is possible if you view it incorrectly. It’s not fixable and can happen quickly without you having any immediate symptoms. FOR REAL.
2) If you are going to view it you HAVE to wear approved specific filtering lenses. Unfortunately, there are fake "solar eclipse glasses” out there (including from Amazon) so please check to make sure they meet the correct ISO standards AND are from a reputable vendor.
3) Stacking multiple pairs of dark regular sunglasses together is NOT safe. Not even close. DO NOT do it.
4) Your retina does NOT have pain receptors, so it won’t “hurt” like a sunburn and the damaging effects don’t show up right away. It could be days later before the PERMANENT damage shows up.
5) Kids & the eclipse: Bottomline for me is just don’t have them view it in large groups or at school. How are you going to make sure they aren’t going to take off the approved glasses (or that they fit their face correctly) to look at it? Lifelong PERMANENT vision loss is what will result.

I'd recommend watching it on television.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: 5 thoughts on the solar eclipse

Post by _Gunnar »

Thanks for those reminders. Caution about observing eclipses can't be over emphasized. I and my family will certainly watch it on television at least, as we don't live near the path of totality, but we do have enough of the approved eclipse glasses to go around. I would be quite concerned, though, about letting my down's syndrome daughter view it even with the glasses, as it is doubtful that she would fully understand the danger.

As an optometrist, have you seen very many cases of solar retinopathy? Is it possible to have this condition without realizing it? I ask because during my lifetime there have been numerous occasions when I have briefly glanced at the sun. I am not aware of having it to any degree, and no optometrist or ophthalmologist has ever disclosed to me that I have it during eye exams, so I doubt that I do, but would an optometrist necessarily disclose this to a patient if it was not serious enough to be debilitating? How quickly can it happen, and what unmistakeable indications should one look for if one is not sure one has the condition?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. :smile:
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Maxine Waters wrote:2) If you are going to view it you HAVE to wear approved specific filtering lenses. Unfortunately, there are fake "solar eclipse glasses” out there (including from Amazon) so please check to make sure they meet the correct ISO standards AND are from a reputable vendor.

This is a huge concern that I have. Saw people saying they picked up glasses at Lowes checkout stand or wherever. I would never do that!

I say don't watch it. What's the point? You can see it on video and in still shots, you can watch the dark shadows blanket the earth. Why risk your eyesight for this?

And thank you for posting this timely message and sharing your expertise to the benefit of the community.

(I'll still give you crap on other threads, but I do believe in giving credit where credit is due)
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

We have a question over here! Someone wants to know if welding shields are safe for eclipse viewing?

No one is planning to do this. We just would like to know the answer to the question.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I'm going to pass on your remarks to my people, Majax. I don't want to see anyone getting hurt over here. Thanks again.

I really have no interest in eclipses except for watching the shadows if I'm awake. Meteor showers are where it's at for me!
Chinese Proverb
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

the cheapest way to watch eclipse:

- get a chardboard box at least 2x2x2 size (in feets, you americans)
- make a five-dollar-size hole on the top; delete all of but one layer in that area
- make a hole on that layer - as small as your needle have

- make eye sized holes on the box sides
- watch the picture on base the box - generated through that main hole

no way to damage; you will see only the reflexion

by the way
flat-earth-believers are in trouble; ask them about the shadow of earth on the sun...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Choyo Chagas wrote:flat-earth-believers are in trouble; ask them about the shadow of earth on the sun...

It is impossible for the earth to cast a shadow on the sun.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Choyo Chagas wrote:the cheapest way to watch eclipse:

- get a chardboard box at least 2x2x2 size (in feets, you americans)
- make a five-dollar-size hole on the top; delete all of but one layer in that area
- make a hole on that layer - as small as your needle have

- make eye sized holes on the box sides
- watch the picture on base the box - generated through that main hole

no way to damage; you will see only the reflexion

by the way
flat-earth-believers are in trouble; ask them about the shadow of earth on the sun...

As Dr. Shades said, it is not the shadow of the earth on the sun. You seem to have solar eclipse confused with lunar eclipse. It is the moon coming between earth and sun and casting its shadow on the earth.

Don't underestimate the stupidity and willful ignorance of flat-earth-believers. They already have explanations for how the eclipse is not only consistent with but actually proves the flat earth. Their explanations are absolutely ludicrous, and reveal a profound ignorance of both math and physics, but you will never convince them of that!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
As an optometrist, have you seen very many cases of solar retinopathy? Is it possible to have this condition without realizing it? I ask because during my lifetime there have been numerous occasions when I have briefly glanced at the sun. I am not aware of having it to any degree, and no optometrist or ophthalmologist has ever disclosed to me that I have it during eye exams, so I doubt that I do, but would an optometrist necessarily disclose this to a patient if it was not serious enough to be debilitating? How quickly can it happen, and what unmistakeable indications should one look for if one is not sure one has the condition?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. :smile:

Can it be mistaken for something else?
How is it identified?
Chinese Proverb
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Choyo Chagas wrote:flat-earth-believers are in trouble; ask them about the shadow of earth on the sun...

It is impossible for the earth to cast a shadow on the sun.

as i am no flat-earther - no, i am not, on my oath - i know this

but any flat-earther enjoy this question...
in my environment there is only one, and he goes mad with anything about shadows around solar system

Gunnar wrote:You seem to have solar eclipse confused with lunar eclipse. It is the moon coming between earth and sun and casting its shadow on the earth.
have i?
see above!

Gunnar wrote:Don't underestimate the stupidity and willful ignorance of flat-earth-believers.
that is...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.