KG?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

KG?

Post by _subgenius »

Was that you I saw in Piedmont Park?

Protesters vandalized and attempted to take down the Peace Monument in Piedmont Park in Atlanta on Sunday, mistaking it for a pro-Confederate statue.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/apd- ... jTbTzkyeM/

And of course Atlanta PD chief steps in as the mopologist

“I feel like that we should have identified, removed and arrested a couple of people earlier in the march, absolutely,” Shields said in an interview with Channel 2 Action News.

Yep, good people on both sides
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: Kevin Graham?

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:Protesters vandalized and attempted to take down the Peace Monument in Piedmont Park in Atlanta on Sunday, mistaking it for a pro-Confederate statue.

Well, here is a page about the monument:

http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listing/3 ... dmont-park

Scroll through the pictures: it has a winged figure offering a branch of something to a gun-toting soldier in Confederate uniform. I think the branch is supposed to be olive (hence peace?) but it is not all that obvious. On visual inspection alone it might easily be mistaken for some kind of congratulatory monument to the Confederacy.

Careful reading of the inscription reveals that it was erected by a former Confederate unit who had felt the 'conscientious conviction of their duty to uphold the cause of the Southern Confederacy' during the war. Hmmm.

But in fact the monument is said to have been erected to commemorate their postwar reconciliation efforts. See:

https://books.google.fr/books?id=is7hRp ... on&f=false

I have to say that I am not into the unauthorised defacing of any monument; this case underlines the need for careful deliberation in such cases rather than the 'Hey look! A rebel soldier!!' style of decision making.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote: 'Hey look! A rebel soldier!!' style of decision making.

apart from the repetition of "mistaken" from the OP, you make a good observation here, yet it defies the modus operandi of today's street prowling liberal. Theirs is an emotional cause - created by, fueled by, and resolved by their personal feelings on the matter - ergo "careful deliberation" will never be applicable nor tolerated.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote: 'Hey look! A rebel soldier!!' style of decision making.

apart from the repetition of "mistaken" from the OP, you make a good observation here, yet it defies the modus operandi of today's street prowling liberal. Theirs is an emotional cause - created by, fueled by, and resolved by their personal feelings on the matter - ergo "careful deliberation" will never be applicable nor tolerated.

Oh dear. It seems I am to be excluded from the 'street prowling liberal' treehouse. I feel quite left out. They seemed to be having fun up there.

I must work on being less reasonable.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.