50 Greatest WHITE ATHLETES!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: 50 Greatest WHITE ATHLETES!

Post by _Gunnar »

It seems to me that neither EA nor DocCam are in essential disagreement over this issue or the gist of the article in question. Let's not overthink the issue or over embellish the essential point that MLK made: that the ideal is to judge and respect individuals by the content of their character (and I would add, their acquired skills and native abilities), not by their racial, ethnic or cultural Identity. We ought to celebrate the valuable and unique contributions of all races, cultures and nations, without disparaging or disadvantaging anyone merely because of race or cultural identity. Isn't that the real and entire essence of what we should strive for?

In connection with this, I can't disagree with the sentiment to make conscious efforts to rediscover and bring to light contributions and accomplishments of minorities that have previously been unfairly and deliberately marginalized or ignored due to bigotry.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: 50 Greatest WHITE ATHLETES!

Post by _Xenophon »

EAllusion wrote:538 - Harry Enten really - has a timely article here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ch ... -politics/

I really enjoyed this article, I had thought about sharing it here but glad you beat me to it. Just a small note it was Perry Bacon Jr. (one of my favorites at 538) that wrote the article, I believe Harry just contributed some research.

I think he raises some pretty good questions about identity politics and its relationship to Trump:

To what extent is Trump driving the country towards more white-identity politics? I’m not sure, since it’s hard to determine the cause and effect here: Did Obama’s election, the events of 2014, such as Ferguson and its aftermath, and the nation’s increasing diversity create an atmosphere for “white lives matter”-style activism that Trump was able to tap into? Or did his campaign create the movement in some ways? Or did Trump simply expand or highlight what was already there? I don’t know.

I think the answer for me is mainly that the atmosphere existed before Trump but he is quite good at tapping into it. Whether his signalling to the these groups is purposeful or not (I'm inclined to believe they are), they feel they have found a voice, a kindred spirit in Trump. As he taps into their anger and utilizes it for political purpose it leads to the expansion that we have seen. And now he is like a child that happened upon a mess. He may not have made the original mess but as he plays in it, it gets significantly worse.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens