Republicans Okay with Trump as Overlord

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Republicans Okay with Trump as Overlord

Post by _subgenius »

moksha wrote:The title is a bit misleading, but I had a hard time thinking of a way to condense 50% of Trump supporters being okay with Trump suspending the 2020 elections and remaining as either the President. Trump would undoubtedly go along with it, proclaiming himself to be "the greatest ruler of all time. Truly GREAT."

It makes you wonder whether it was the constant flow of misinformation from both Trump and Republican news organizations like Fox that have imperiled our American democracy by contemplating an Imperial Trumpasty.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/analysis-in-a-new-poll-half-of-republicans-say-they-would-support-postponing-the-2020-election-if-trump-proposed-it/ar-AApOcyn?

a poll that found 67% percent of Dems...far greater than 50% Repubs...so kudos on the most stupid hair on fire OP of the day

A strong majority of Democrats would cancel the 2016 presidential election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump if it meant President Obama could serve another term, a new poll found.
30 July 2016

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/pre ... -for-obama

Yeah, the OP is idiotic as Dems finally win against Republic by a score of 67% to 50%

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

The article to which subgenius refers has no link to the original poll. Indeed I can find no direct link to it anywhere on line after a moderate amount of googling and link following. The links all seem to lead back to 'The Hill'.

However, the first two paragraphs say:

A strong majority of Democrats would cancel the 2016 presidential election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump if it meant President Obama could serve another term, a new poll found.

Data provided to The Hill by the conservative polling outlet WPA Research found that 67 percent of Democrats would take a third term for Obama over a potential Clinton administration.
Only 28 percent said they’re ready to move on from the Obama White House, while 6 percent are undecided.

The second paragraph, which subgenius does not quote, makes it clear that the actual outcome of the poll was that most democrats would (if the constitution allowed them that choice) prefer a third Obama term rather than Clinton as president. That is hardly a surprise. It does not refer to annulling the election, merely to a wish that it was possible to avoid Clinton being the Democrat's candidate.

The poll in the OP, however, asked two specific questions:

If Donald Trump were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote, would you support or oppose postponing the election?

What if both Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote? Would you support or oppose postponing the election?

Responses were 52% and 56% yes to those very direct questions.

Until someone can link to the original research ascribed to WPA by the hill so we can read the actual questions asked as in the case of the Trump poll, the claim that Democrats were willing to cancel an election in 2016 remains dubious - but what is not dubious is that most Democrats would certainly have preferred a 3rd Obama term, if that had been legally possible. That's hardly a surprise.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:The article to which subgenius refers has no link to the original poll. Indeed I can find no direct link to it anywhere on line after a moderate amount of googling and link following. The links all seem to lead back to 'The Hill'.

However, the first two paragraphs say:

Data provided to The Hill by the conservative polling outlet WPA Research found that 67 percent of Democrats would take a third term for Obama over a potential Clinton administration.
Only 28 percent said they’re ready to move on from the Obama White House, while 6 percent are undecided.

The second paragraph, which subgenius does not quote, makes it clear that the actual outcome of the poll was that most democrats would (if the constitution allowed them that choice) prefer a third Obama term rather than Clinton as president. That is hardly a surprise. It does not refer to annulling the election, merely to a wish that it was possible to avoid Clinton being the Democrat's candidate.

The poll in the OP, however, asked two specific questions:

If Donald Trump were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote, would you support or oppose postponing the election?

What if both Donald Trump and Republicans in Congress were to say that the 2020 presidential election should be postponed until the country can make sure that only eligible American citizens can vote? Would you support or oppose postponing the election?

Responses were 52% and 56% yes to those very direct questions.

Until someone can link to the original research ascribed to WPA by the hill so we can read the actual questions asked as in the case of the Trump poll, the claim that Democrats were willing to cancel an election in 2016 remains dubious - but what is not dubious is that most Democrats would certainly have preferred a 3rd Obama term, if that had been legally possible. That's hardly a surprise.

Chap, your butt-hurt is showing again...overwhelmed only by your selective memory on this topic.
But thanks for noting that the OP also did not link back to an original poll nor did it provide the several questions that preceded the cherry-picked questions paraphrased in the OP linked article.
Point being this event back in 2016 was known in the common news cycle and your ignorance of this fact and it's subject matter only accentuates how you and your ilk spend most of the day chasing shadows with you hair on fire.
It's embarassing how you emphatically condemn the Republicans for not being as tyrannical as Democrats from your position of pure ignirance.
But I have interrupted you, you were splitting hairs and moving goal posts, please continue

An amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits presidential candidates from being elected to more than two four-year terms. Nineteen percent (19%) of all voters believe that amendment should be changed so presidents can serve longer. Seventy-eight percent (78%) oppose such a change.

Interestingly, only 32% of Democrats support changing this amendment. Ninety percent (90%) of GOP voters and 82% of unaffiliateds are opposed

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_co ... ue-reading
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Stupid Troll if the Constitution permitted it Democrats would have preferred Obama that's no surprise. The Constitution does not permit it. It also requires an election to be held, no exceptions. The US was in its Civil War with your Tennessee, and the rest of the south. President Lincoln refused to cancel or delay the election. He rightly feared that doing it would prove the south right. by the way It was another Republican President who changed the Constitution so that no other Republican could serve a third term as President. Hell I preferred giving Nixon third term to Drumpf having even one. Funny how knowing history works.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote: the OP also did not link back to an original poll nor did it provide the several questions that preceded the cherry-picked questions paraphrased in the OP linked article.

Oh dear ... he's back to 'butt-hurt' again ... boring.

Look, read the OP. It reports a poll conducted for the Washington Post. They are reporting their own data.

Here’s how we did our research:

The survey interviewed a sample of 1,325 Americans from June 5 through 20. Respondents were recruited from the Qualtrics online panel who had previously reported identifying with or leaning toward one of the two major parties. We focus on the 650 respondents who identify with or lean toward the Republican Party. The sample has been weighted to match the population in terms of sex, age, race and education.

After a series of initial questions, respondents were asked whether Trump won the popular vote, whether millions of illegal immigrants voted, and how often voter fraud occurs. These questions evoke arguments frequently made by Trump and others about the integrity of the 2016 election.

Then the survey asked two questions about postponing the 2020 election.

Roughly half of Republicans believe Trump won the popular vote — and would support postponing the 2020 election.

Nearly half of Republicans (47 percent) believe that Trump won the popular vote, which is similar to this finding. Larger fractions believe that millions of illegal immigrants voted (68 percent) and that voter fraud happens somewhat or very often (73 percent). Again, this is similar to previous polls.

Moreover, 52 percent said that they would support postponing the 2020 election, and 56 percent said they would do so if both Trump and Republicans in Congress were behind this.

Not surprisingly, beliefs about the 2016 election and voter fraud were correlated with support for postponement. People who believed that Trump won the popular vote, that there were millions of illegal votes in 2016, or that voter fraud is not rare were more likely to support postponing the election. This support was also more prevalent among Republicans who were younger, were less educated, had less factual knowledge of politics and strongly identified with the party.

Of course this is still hypothetical.

Of course, our survey is only measuring reactions to a hypothetical situation. Were Trump to seriously propose postponing the election, there would be a torrent of opposition, which would most likely include prominent Republicans. Financial markets would presumably react negatively to the potential for political instability. And this is to say nothing of the various legal and constitutional complications that would immediately become clear. Citizens would almost certainly form their opinions amid such tumult, which does not at all resemble the context in which our survey was conducted.

Nevertheless, we do not believe that these findings can be dismissed out of hand. At a minimum, they show that a substantial number of Republicans are amenable to violations of democratic norms that are more flagrant than what is typically proposed (or studied). And although the ensuing chaos could turn more Republicans against this kind of proposal, it is also conceivable that a high-stakes and polarized debate would do the exact opposite.

Postponing the 2020 presidential election is not something that Trump or anyone in his administration has even hinted at, but for many in his constituency floating such an idea may not be a step too far.

I suspect the butt-hurt (whatever that weird expression means) is on subgenius's side.

Now please can we have a link to something equivalent for the survey reported by The Hill?

No?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:
subgenius wrote: the OP also did not link back to an original poll nor did it provide the several questions that preceded the cherry-picked questions paraphrased in the OP linked article.

Oh dear ... he's back to 'butt-hurt' again ... boring.

Look, read the OP. It reports a poll conducted for the Washington Post. They are reporting their own data.

NOTE FROM OP - "After a series of initial questions, respondents were asked..."

Got a link for these "initial questions"?
Didn't think so

The link in my post provides support tantamount to that found in the OP. Not sure why you are so butt-hurt over forgetting something that was reported about a year ago, or why you are so personally offended that the OP appears to be just another butt-hurt hair on fire post by a low information Dem/Liberal. Honestly these hysteria driven posts are no longer surprising from you guys, but it is a little curious how much dumber and more myopic those same posts are becoming.
_Black Moclips
_Emeritus

Post by _Black Moclips »

This person is either a fool, or has no regard for truth.

He's simply trying to distract attention from the poll result that showed 50% of Republicans would agree with Trump postponing the 2020 election, should he wish to do so.

This person? THIS PERSON?! Its me - Black Moclips and I've been around on these boards a long time - just as long as you in fact (2007), though I have significantly fewer posts. I'm just tired of the hysteria surrounding Trump that you guys are pedaling in this forum. So far, my life hasn't changed one bit since the election. If your life HAS changed, then its due to your own manufactured angst and worry the liberal media is trolling you with. I'm not trying to distract attention from the OP - I'm trying to tell you I think its funny and sad that you are all getting worked up about what some Republicans would want in a fantasy land scenario, like queen Hillary. But go ahead and believe it, soak it in, engage it, think about it, tell your friends, and make changes to your life to prevent the coming of the Overlord. Lol. I'll stay quiet about it from here on out. I know this particular forum doesn't want anything to distract from Trump gang bang. I'll leave you to it.
“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.”
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Chap wrote:The article to which subgenius refers has no link to the original poll.

The link is there although it doesn't say what is claimed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/27/more-than-half-think-obama-is-doing-a-good-job-but-also-hope-the-next-president-does-it-differently/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If Trump were to claim the title of Overlord, he would insist that he was the best Overlord ever and that he drew the largest crowds of the worshipping masses.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Post-Trump speech synopsis of him and his Presidency by Don Lemon:

Well, what do you say to that? I'm just going to speak from the heart here. What we have witnessed was a total eclipse of the facts. Someone who came out onstage and lied directly to the American people, and left things out that he said, in an attempt to rewrite history. Especially when it comes to Charlottesville. He's unhinged, it's embarrassing, and I don't mean for us the media because he went after us, but for the country. This is who we elected President of the United States. A man who is so petty that he has to go after people who he deems to be his enemy, like an imaginary friend of a six year old. His speech was without thought, it was without reason, it was devoid of facts, it was devoid of wisdom, there was no gravitas, there was no sanity there. He was like a child blaming a sibling... A man clearly wounded by the rational people who are abandoning him in droves...

I wonder if they'll stick by him when the pee tape surfaces...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.