Good News! We're all equal now!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Good News! We're all equal now!

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Oh I know it may not seem like that, when we live in a country where the richest 1% have as much as the bottom 90%. If you're black, your chances of getting pulled over by the police are far greater than if you are white.

But relax folks! Our Alabama Attorney General, Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions, proud scion of the South, is getting the Justice Department to go after affirmative action in college admissions.

New York Times wrote:WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to redirect resources of the Justice Department’s civil rights division toward investigating and suing universities over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

The document, an internal announcement to the civil rights division, seeks current lawyers interested in working for a new project on “investigations and possible litigation related to intentional race-based discrimination in college and university admissions.”

The announcement suggests that the project will be run out of the division’s front office, where the Trump administration’s political appointees work, rather than its Educational Opportunities Section, which is run by career civil servants and normally handles work involving schools and universities.

Trump has a dream: that one day all Americans can rise to the full potentional of their trust funds. You'd have to ask Sessions what his dream is.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Good News! We're all equal now!

Post by _The CCC »

The Confederate States of America is so proud.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

"investigating and suing universities over affirmative action admissions policies deemed to discriminate against white applicants"
So, if this type of discrimination is occurring you do not believe that "white" people are entitled to equal treatment under the law?
Are you claiming that, in America's University admission policies, it is impossible discriminate against white people?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

College admissions are kind of funny in what can be used as influence.

Taking Kushner for example; his dad bribed Harvard with a couple million, and influence peddling (two senators) to get them to overlook his son’s substandard grades and test scores. This seems to be a somewhat common occurrence, and I personally don’t have a knee-jerk reaction to the practice. After all, universities are ultimately for-profit ventures, and a couple million bucks from one entitled rich kid’s dad can go a long way to potentially better the university as a whole.

Basically, being born to rich parents can be used as almost a sole determining factor, but being born to black parents can’t. Both things are pretty much nothing more than chance on the part of the student.

Kind of a random fart of a post, but something that popped in my noggin last night between binging on episodes of Better Call Saul.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

Do black people have to demonstrate that they are descendants of former slaves to qualify for affirmative action? Or can they be recent immigrants from Africa or the Carribean? Is affirmative action really based on disadvantages due to a history of racial discrimination in the US or is it just about race?
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Tell me everything you know about Jim Crow Laws I have a second.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

The CCC wrote:Tell me everything you know about Jim Crow Laws I have a second.

I wasn't even alive when Jim Crow laws existed. I'm not sure it's something we should dwell upon and continue to rehash forever.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maxine Waters sure was. You may be too young to remember the 2012 application of Jim Crow laws.