Facts and Fiction

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Facts and Fiction

Post by _Maksutov »

Strange how this applies in both politics and religion. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Facts and Fiction

Post by _The CCC »

Atheism doesn't have a good track record either. :wink:
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:Atheism doesn't have a good track record either. :wink:

States based on atheism certainly committed genocide in the 20th century. I would venture that atheism had more victims than religion in that century. Even more tragic, much of the destruction was to their own people, due to ethnic cleansing, resource mismanagement and deliberate elimination, including murder, of communities. :sad:
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Truly sad all the way around. :sad:
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

I can't agree with the OP.
Can't we attribute more atrocities to those who indeed insist that they have clearly distinguished between right/wrong or true/false? Ambiguous people are likely less motivated to perform anything in the name of whatever.
Apathy may not fight back but it also doesn't attack
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

subgenius wrote:I can't agree with the OP.
Can't we attribute more atrocities to those who indeed insist that they have clearly distinguished between right/wrong or true/false? Ambiguous people are likely less motivated to perform anything in the name of whatever.

That's another way to frame it that might work.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

subgenius , I think you have a point here. Apathy makes poor soldiers and poor political supporters. Apathy may allow fanatics more opportunity to control by failing to resist.

There is another possibility. The opening quote may have in mind people who willingly believe fanatic authority because truth does not matter enough to them to question authority.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I think you're conflating right and wrong fallacies with true and false. People who have clearly distinguished right from wrong oftentimes do so with a complete disregard of objective reality. (Let's visit the Creation Museum!). Your're right: Thoughtful people can have ambiguous feeling about complex moral issues like abortion or the death penalty. But that's different from saying (for example) that the earth flooded for 40 days and 40 nights, and the animals that survived lived in an arc.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land