31,487 scientists doubt Global Warming

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

31,487 scientists doubt Global Warming

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

"31,487 American scientists have signed this petition, including 9,029 with PhDs"
http://www.petitionproject.org/index.php

But there are 21.1 million scientists and engineers in the US

According to the Petition project there are 3,805 (not named) Atmosphere, Earth, & Environment scientists, but in the US there are One Million Physical scientists. 3,805 is less than 0.4% of physical scientists in the US.

According to the Petition project there are only 39 (not named) climate scientists. How Pathetic! Deniers are full of it!
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/ ... y-would-be
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: 31,487 scientists doubt Global Warming

Post by _Gunnar »

That petition is also devastatingly debunked here.
.1% of Signers Have a Background in Climatology

The Petition Project website offers a breakdown of the areas of expertise of those who have signed the petition.

In the realm of climate science it breaks it breaks down as such:

Atmospheric Science (113)

Climatology (39)

Meteorology (341)

Astronomy (59)

Astrophysics (26)

So only .1% of the individuals on the list of 30,000 signatures have a scientific background in Climatology. To be fair, we can add in those who claim to have a background in Atmospheric Science, which brings the total percentage of signatories with a background in climate change science to a whopping .5%.

The page does not break out the names of those who do claim to be experts in Climatology and Atmospheric Science, which makes even that .5% questionable [see my section on “unverifiable mess” below].

This makes an already questionable list seem completely insignificant given the nature of scientific endeavor.

The petition was so misleading that the National Academy issued a news release stating: “The petition project was a deliberate attempt to mislead scientists and to rally them in an attempt to undermine support for the Kyoto Protocol. The petition was not based on a review of the science of global climate change, nor were its signers experts in the field of climate science.”

An Unverifiable Mess

Time and time again, I have had emails from researchers who have taken random samples of names from the list and Google searched them for more information. I urge others to do the same. What you’ll quickly find is either no information, very little information or information substantiating the fact that the vast majority of signers are completely unqualified in the area of climate change science.

For example,

“Munawwar M. Akhtar” - no information other than the fact that he is a signatory on the petition.

“Fred A. Allehoff” - no information other than the fact that he is a signatory on the petition.

“Ernest J. Andberg” - no information other than the fact that he is a signatory on the petition.

“Joseph J. Arx” - no information other than the fact that he is a signatory on the petition.

“Adolf L. Amundson” - a paper by Amundson on the “London Tunnel Water Treatment System Acid Mine Drainage.” [PDF]

“Henry W. Apfelbach” - an Orthopedic Surgeon

“Joe R. Arechavaleta” - runs an Architect and Engineering company.

And this is only names I picked in the “A’s.” I could go on, but you get my point. The list is very difficult to verify as a third-party, but this hasn’t stopped the Petition from bouncing around the internet and showing up in mainstream media.

Given all this it seems to me that anyone touting this as proof that “global warming is a hoax” completely misunderstands the process of scientific endeavor or has completely exhausted any real argument that rightfully brings into to doubt the reality of climate change.

Or, then again, they could just be in it for the money

I have little doubt, however that Donald J. Trump takes this petition seriously. He is the most willfully ignorant President in the history of this country on almost anything having to do with scientific reality, or even government and the U.S. constitution. Even Flat-Earthers often appear smart in comparison to him! In fact, I would not be greatly surprised if he eventually revealed that he bought into the flat earth hypothesis. Some flat-earthers already claim that he is one of them. See, for example: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/laughingindisbelief/2015/11/donald-trump-declares-himself-a-flat-earther/
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

It is his EPA head that scares the crap of of me.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

This is like the 2000 scientists who believe 9/11 was an inside job. You can find a tiny percentage of people who believe just about anything.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Among the stupidest of these groups, if not the stupidest is the Flat Earthers. I am not at all confident that Trump himself is not one of those.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

It can be kind of a fun exercise to randomly google some of the names on list to see what you find. One is more likely to find a deceased pharmacist or someone with a a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from the list than an actual climate scientist.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Having a degree in an unrelated field doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong. It just means we have to pay serious attention and confirm what they claim by other means.