"Confederate" - New series from the GoT creators

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: "Confederate" - New series from the GoT creators

Post by _honorentheos »

In a way I could get into it if it isn't focused primarily on slavery but on the multi-faceted textures that culturally divided the North and South, whites and blacks, rich and poor, federalism and nationalism. It could allow for some fascinating social commentary relevant to today. But that is hoping for a lot.

Westworld kept succeeding because episode after episode it turned out to be more than I thought it was going to be. In thinking about it, I could see this really having some promising opportunities to take things to places people might not be comfortable.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Dr. Shades wrote:Please state your evidence for those assumptions.

Monaco is a city state established in the 13th Century. If one area of a country can split off from another. What is the limiting factor on the size of that area? The plantation South was as close to Fiefdoms as we've ever had.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:

Monaco is a city state established in the 13th Century. If one area of a country can split off from another. What is the limiting factor on the size of that area? The plantation South was as close to Fiefdoms as we've ever had.

Only a small fraction, less than 10%, of Southerners owned slaves If I recall correctly. Similar to the portion of Mormons who practiced polygamy.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

True, but there was wider spread support for them in the effected populations. There are natural sociological limits for polygamy that didn't exist for slavery.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:True, but there was wider spread support for them in the effected populations. There are natural sociological limits for polygamy that didn't exist for slavery.

In both cases you had elites that exploited the rest. The average Confederate suffered greatly because of the war and reconstruction. The average Mormon was expected to defend with their life the polygamy privileges of their "betters". There's a pattern of feudalistic roles in our supposedly classless country. :lol:
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

True, but not really what I'm talking about. Slavery, above all else, was an economic system based on the exploitation of labor. Polygamy was, for all its many faults, a system to ensure offspring. It makes little to no economic sense to pay for wives and children when the sex is free.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:True, but not really what I'm talking about. Slavery, above all else, was an economic system based on the exploitation of labor. Polygamy was, for all its many faults, a system to ensure offspring. It makes little to no economic sense to pay for wives and children when the sex is free.

Werner von Braun relied heavily on slave labor to build his V weapons. Then we 'hired' him for the cold war/space race and he became a hero. Lesson?
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Someone should do an alternative timeline series where Joseph Smith really discovered gold plates and the church is true.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:
Werner von Braun relied heavily on slave labor to build his V weapons. Then we 'hired' him for the cold war/space race and he became a hero. Lesson?

The NAZIS used slave labor. I've actually met Dr. Braun in the mid 1960's. He seemed rather apolitical to me at the time. Strange world we live in, we were allies with the USSR/Russians in WW2. Enemies shortly thereafter.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Shades...here is evidence that CCC is wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFjBSPUQJk
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"