"I think many people would have held that meeting"

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Re: "I think many people would have held that meeting"

Post by _Some Schmo »

cinepro wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Oddly, I suspect that Drumpf doesn't actually dislike Hillary all that much. I think he's just saying what he's been saying because he thinks it's politically expedient. He's using her, like he uses anyone. She's not a person to him, just a thing he can use to further his own agenda.

And Putin doesn't like her, so what the hell? Why not?

What does "like" or "dislike" have to do with anything in politics? Does Hillary Clinton "like" Obama? It sure didn't seem like it in 2008. But then she was his Secretary of State, so maybe she does. Or maybe the normal definition of "like" and "dislike" don't apply at that level of politics. It's totally irrelevant.

Once Trump decided to make a concerted effort to reach the Presidency, it was like a horse race where you just concentrate on passing the horse in front of you. And once you've passed them, they're meaningless because you're focusing on the next horse. It was the same pattern as he went through the primaries, picking off one Republican would-be contender after another. Why do you think there hasn't been a word about prosecuting Hillary after Trump won? Because that was just rhetoric that was calculated to get him to the finish line first, and once he was there, it was no longer useful, and pursuing it would be a huge waste of time and effort.

Are you really just figuring that out now, 8 months after he won?

Where in my post did you get the idea I thought it was important to the politics of the election whether or not Drumpf liked Hillary?

I was merely pointing out that I didn't think Drumpf disliked Hillary as much as he appears to. Your post only strengthens my point.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Part of the job in politics is getting things done despite not liking the person you work for.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

MeDotOrg wrote:Have we gotten to the point where we trust Russians more than Democrats? And what does that say about the state of political discourse in this country?

subgenius wrote:Liberals are protectionist when convenient? Those who support notions such as the EU or Globalization are hard pressed to be taken seriously when they suddenly snatch "Murica" from the hands of those they mock.

I have not yet heard Donald Trump call for the destruction of the European Union. (Sounds like a Steve Bannon wet dream.) Are you saying that a belief in multilateral defense pacts and trade agreements is inherently un-American?

MeDotOrg wrote:In other words, it would never enter Donald Trump Jr.'s mind that Hillary Clinton, even though she is your political opponent, is an American. You may disagree with her politics,

subgenius wrote:i believe they more than disagreed with her politics...they claimed she was a criminal and that is not simply a potatoe potatah situation.

Donald Trump (Jr. or Sr.) has the right to believe and claim that Hillary Clinton is a criminal. If the objective of his meeting with Natty V. was to obtain information about Hillary Clinton that was obtained through political espionage of the Russian Government, and that the Russian Government was giving Trump that information because they thought his father would be a weaker President, I would agree we are a long way from potato/puTAHtoe.

MeDotOrg wrote: but she has served this country as a Senator and Secretary of State.

subgenius wrote:Many convicted, corrupt, and, in Hillary Clinton's case, ineffective people have held government offices...this did not qualify them for exceptional treatment in any forum. Why should it?

I'm not sure that I would say that it's not 'exceptional treatment' to use Russian espionage against an American citizen.

MeDotOrg wrote:A Russian attorney connected to the Russian government is not an American, and does not have the best interests of the United States of America at heart.

subgenius wrote:hearsay and speculation...a passport does not confirm where a person's interest may lay. Are you saying that people like KG are loyal to Trump ? simply because when all is said and done, Trump is an American.

Hearsay and speculation? Are you making the argument that we really don't know where Natalia Veselnitskaya's sympathies were in this matter? I doubt if Robert Mueller and the FBI are as sanguine about the issue. Because ultimately I think that's a more germane than Kevin Graham's sympathies. I'll let Kevin speak for himself.

MeDotOrg wrote:
As a nation of free men we will live forever or die by suicide. A. Lincoln

subgenius wrote:A wise sentiment and one that the DNC has stubbornly disregarded

God, you can't just let a quote go by, can you?

My point is that when we turn to foreign nations that are hostile to our interests to provide political espionage against American citizens to help us in our political contests, that is a form of national suicide. When we believe the 'opposition' in a democracy is 'the enemy within', then we have lost faith in democracy.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

I think many people would have held that meeting

Donald Trump likes to project his own feelings onto everyone else. Remember when he said most people don't know Lincoln was a Republican. Since everyone knows Lincoln was a Republican, we can assume Trump didn't know Lincoln was a Republican and just learned that fact that day. Or when he said nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated. Everyone knows healthcare is complicated, so we can assume what he meant was he didn't know that. So when he says many people would have held that meeting, what he meant was he would have loved to be at that meeting, but he was busy tweeting insults that day.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

No. Just the Drumpf campaign.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Many who hold no sense of ethics or obligation to abide by the law, will proceed with an agenda based on pure expediency. It is important that these people not hold public office.

Adoption was just a small addendum to the purpose of the Magnitsky Act. The full intent of the act was for vengeance against the corruption of political insiders (Putin's cronies). Natalia Veselnitskaya was a lawyer representing the corrupt insiders who did not want to be touched by this act. Most likely repealing the Magnitsky Act was mentioned as a quid pro quo item in exchange for the information. Probably a swift agreement as made as well as the decision by both sides to release the hacked emails through Wikileaks and the fake news stories in order to promote the Trump campaign. The "adoption claim" was a spin to mitigate against the real intent of the meeting.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace