Bigger Idiot contest

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Re: Bigger Idiot contest

Post by _beastie »

What pathetic apologia to which Trumpists are forced to descend.

Any minute now subbie will be telling us how even if Trump colluded with Russia, it wasn't illegal.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

subgenius wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:I just want to make sure I understand your premise: You're saying that people who think Trump and his supporters are idiots, are in actuality the real idiots because they were unable to stop him?

yes that is exactly what i am saying. everyone here is quick to notice how the self-proclaimed "smart people" outnumber the idiots, and how the "smart people" certainly know better than the idiots...yet they could not win a simple election...and for that matter have been unable to win against and "outsmart" idiots on a wide variety of playing fields.

So, if they are so smart...why do they appear to be so stupid?

One of the great observations about the election was that the media and Trump's detractors took him literally but not seriously and Trump's supporters took him seriously but not literally.

Now that he is elected, the media and his opponents still take him literally, but now he is the President, they have to take him seriously as well. But his relationship with the truth is now documented every day, not as a candidate, but as the President of the United States. When he says that 3-5 million people voted illegally, it matters. When he tweets out a hollow threat to be aware of recordings, he doesn't realize or doesn't care that he has revealed himself as a bluffer to the world. And for what? Did he really think he was going to change Comey's testimony? Trump lives in the eternal transaction now. It is the transaction in the moment (classic example: His interview with Lester Holt) that Trump feels compelled to win, and win he will, even if it contradicts something he has said in the past.

And it bothers me that it doesn't bother his supporters very much. It appears that they continue to take him seriously but not literally, because now that he is the President he is going back on a lot of his promises. The GOP ACA replacement not only breaks specific promises Trump made about the AHCA, it hurts many of his own constituents the most: lower income, and the elderly. The is a mushrooming opioid epidemic in this country hitting a lot of the Rust Belt in this country, but Trump seems oblivious.

So I must admit I do not understand why his supporters continue to support him when he continually acts against their best interests. And to the extent that I am amazed that it does not seem to bother his supporters.

So mea culpa, I am not smart enough to understand why people continue to support a man who lies compulsively, and whose policies do not serve the interests of his constituents.

Trump is so obsessed with image, with style over substance, it's embarrassing. Time magazine has asked Trump to remove fake Time Magazine covers from his Country Clubs. The man decries fake news and makes fake Time Magazine covers to promote himself? This is a man who used to pose as his own press agent to promote himself to the media. He is an insecure narcissist, two words you do not want used to describe the leader of the free world. And yet his supporters shake all of this off.

So yeah, I don't get it.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote: The is a mushrooming opioid epidemic in this country hitting a lot of the Rust Belt in this country, but Trump seems oblivious.

One of the issues that concerns me. How is he being oblivious?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

MeDotOrg wrote:So yeah, I don't get it.

But don't you consider yourself among the "smart ones" ?
And I don't intend mockery with this question.
Is the 2016 election loss a widespread, highly contagious, "hubris"?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

beastie wrote:What pathetic apologia to which Trumpists are forced to descend.

Any minute now subbie will be telling us how even if Trump colluded with Russia, it wasn't illegal.

Thanks for being the epitome of the OP.
But your assumptions are even more amusing than your ineptitude

Three veteran CNN journalists with impressive investigative credentials have resigned after their story on Russian ties to Trump failed to meet reporting standards, CNN wrote in an unusual editor's note to the public.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2017 ... 430755001/

You should pay attention to stuff. ...any stuff
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Subs, how old were you when you were first informed how stupid you really are?

18?

22?
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

subgenius wrote:Thanks for being the epitome of the OP.

Three veteran CNN journalists with impressive investigative credentials have resigned after their story on Russian ties to Trump failed to meet reporting standards, CNN wrote in an unusual editor's note to the public.

They made a mistake, apologized and resigned. Drumpf spouts lies every day and is still in office.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

The best thing about this is that the folks whining about it are the same people who regularly consume FOX News, which has been busted time and time again for making up crap from whole cloth. The difference between CNN and FOX is not that one is perfect and the other isn't. The difference is that FOX gets it wrong more frequently and when they do, there are no consequences. No one gets fired. At best, you get a short leave of absence.

Does anyone remember four days before the election FOX News had a "Breaking Story" about how Hillary Clinton is "likely to be indicted" by the FBI? Two days later they retracted the story and was forced to apologize for it. No one was fired. No one resigned.

Then there was Andrew Napolitano who claimed that unnamed intelligence sources had told him that late last year, a British spy agency had surveilled Trump on behalf of then-President Barack Obama. Sean Spicer even cited FOX's report in one of his briefings. But that turned out to be utter BS and judge Napolitano took a leave of absence and no one on the Right has ever owned up to the fact that they spread fake news, including our idiot President.

Then there was the time, prior to the 2008 election, when FOX had a "breaking story" about how then Senator Obama had gone to school at an extremist Islamic madrassa as a child. Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade were the ones who propagated this horse crap and John Moody, who was at the time the VP at FOX, said "The hosts violated one of our general rules, which is know what you are talking about. They reported information from a publication whose accuracy we didn’t know."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Given its author, I hadn't bothered to crack open this thread until this morning, because I had assumed the OP had already declared himself the winner, without knowing he had (because, ya know... idiocy).

It turned out I was right.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Kevin Graham wrote:

The best thing about this is that the folks whining about it are the same people who regularly consume FOX News, which has been busted time and time again for making up ____ from whole cloth. The difference between CNN and FOX is not that one is perfect and the other isn't. The difference is that FOX gets it wrong more frequently and when they do, there are no consequences. No one gets fired. At best, you get a short leave of absence.

Does anyone remember four days before the election FOX News had a "Breaking Story" about how Hillary Clinton is "likely to be indicted" by the FBI? Two days later they retracted the story and was forced to apologize for it. No one was fired. No one resigned.

Exactly. As subgenius pointed out, the CNN reporters were forced to resign because they "failed to meet reporting standards". The Fox News reporters were not forced to resign because there are no reporting standards at Fox News.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775