Best potholer54 video so far

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Best potholer54 video so far

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

"Response to Bill Whittle's "Is climate change real?""
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7aZ6vqCk2E
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Re: Best potholer54 video so far

Post by _DarkHelmet »

I love potholer. But you have to admit, pointing out how conservative science deniers misunderstand the evidence, misrepresent the evidence, or just plain lie, is like shooting fish in a barrel. in my opinion, potholer54 is the best at it.

Last edited by Guest on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Yep. :biggrin:
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Yup. Careful and ruthless dissection of the case presented by a clever but evidently unscrupulous climate denier.

No abuse. No indignation.

Just constant mild-mannered citation of evidence, and pointing out the huge flaws and omissions of his opponent. Nothing more is required.

I like this from the comments:

I love the whole "The temperature has all ways been changing" argument
Taxi passenger 1: "Looks like the driver has floored the accelerator, has a crazed look in his eye, and is heading for that cliff"
Taxi passenger 2: "Nothing to worry about, taxi drivers change speed and direction all the time"
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

I love potholer54 too, but Peter Sinclair's Climate Crock of the Week is also very good.
He does a good job of demolishing one of the climate deniers' favorite arguments that there is "No such thing as a scientific consensus."
“There’s no such thing as settled science” and “science does not work by consensus”, are things we commonly hear from people who really should know better.

The earth revolves around the sun. Apples fall down. Oceans expand when warmed.
These are in fact, examples of “settled science” – accepted by consensus. We don’t re-litigate them in every paper about gravity or astrophysics.

If you google “climate, 97 percent consensus” or some permutation thereof, you’ll be treated to page after page of climate denial nonsense, some elaborately produced, some not, seeking to knock down the idea, essentially, that scientists believe in science.
Climate deniers understand that the scientific consensus is a critical gateway belief, one that most Americans are still unaware of, that makes citizens much more likely to understand the gravity of climate change, and support efforts to curb it.

So a lot of effort goes into attacking this idea.

While the “97 percent of climate scientists agree planet is warming and humans are the cause” meme has gotten pretty good penetration in the main stream media – most talking heads are aware enough to include that in any discussion of climate – in the social media sphere, the National Academy of Science does not have as strong a presence as jackasswithablog dot com.

I love this video by John Oliver imbedded in Sinclair's site about the prospect of coal mining jobs coming back. One of the funniest ironies he mentioned was that the Kentucky Coal Mining Museum has installed solar panels and now is mostly, if not entirely, powered by solar energy.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:I love this video by John Oliver imbedded in Sinclair's site about the prospect of coal mining jobs coming back. One of the funniest ironies he mentioned was that the Kentucky Coal Mining Museum has installed solar panels and now is entirely powered by solar energy.

I watched that last night! John Oliver is the only thing keeping me sane while all this junk is going on.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb