Lost my best buddy...

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: Lost my best buddy...

Post by _MeDotOrg »

My best friend's daughter has a yellow lab service dog. He is just a sweetheart. He's trained so that when he is given the command 'greet', he goes around the room and says hello to everyone. It's his favorite thing to do.

He needs a bit of exercise, but I would suspect less than a cattle dog. He is friendly, if sometimes overwhelming for small dogs.

The one downside is that he sheds. I think that's why the 'labradoodles' (Labrador/poodle mix) is so popular. You get a slightly smarter Labrador that doesn't shed.

Apropos of nothing, I enclose a favorite dog picture. The dog was tied to a parking meter in front a a bus stop next to a bar at a very busy intersection. No one around the dog when the picture is taken. This is not an animal scared about the approach of danger:

Behold! Xanax dog!
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Markk wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:By the way, you being a country guy might appreciate this. I told my wife last night I get to name the next Dog, in that the kids always named them before...we had a Jude, Bear, Cubby, Jewel, Layla, Simon (for a week, a setter rescue who jumped the fence and was gone) Olive Oil ( I found her in a bucket of oil) and Bilbo... I told my wife that "he" would be named...Buford T. Justice, she rolled her eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN3c64j2DPE

Maybe you should consider "Boss Hogg" for a name. When the wife is around, just call it Boss. :wink:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Markk wrote:I had to put down my dog of over 13 years last week... We have had several dogs over my life time, but "Jude" ( my daughter is a Beatles fan and named him) was a special friend.

That said while I am not in a hurry to get another dog, although I will do so. He was a medium sized Shepard mix we rescued as a pup from BORK. I want to stay with a active meduim size male breed.

I am looking at a Border Collie/ Austrian Shepard breed. Has anyone had one before? I have about a 1/4 acre back yard, and what ever dog I get will be 60/40 outside. are they good with kids? I read mixed reviews?

My daughter's cat, Rosie, died a couple or so years ago. She was a beautiful cat who always greeted us with a cheerful, friendly "meow" every morning, and loved to cuddle and be brushed. I can't say I was as close to Rosie, as you were to Jude; I think there is something extra special about the level of loyalty and love of a good dog for a human that a relationship with a cat rarely, if ever, rises to, but we still loved Rosie, and regarded her as family.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Markk,

Sorry for your loss.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Oddly enough I have an Aussie Cattle - Border Collie mix. You have to walk the ____ out of them because they love to be on the move. If not be prepared for digging and a bit of destructive behavior. Great temperament, though! Also, make sure you socialize the dog with other dogs because mine was dog aggressive and it took a lot of effort to get a handle on that; he's still bullish toward them.

- Doc

Hey Doc,

Bought two male cattle dogs last night, one for me and one for my daughter...they are brothers...I have had them for about 24 hours or so and I don't think they have stopped running around...LOL...I think I am in for a long haul...they are 8 weeks old.

They are fearless...it is really funny.

I named mine after my favorite cowboy of all time...Rooster J. Cogburn...my daughter named hers, Charlie...my wife wanted to name them Harry and Lloyd...which may be the truth so far.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

That's awesome, Markk. They're super trainable so if you want them to learn all sorts of tricks right now is the time to start.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

One of the dogs we had while growing up was a Peddle, a Poodle-Beagle mix. :biggrin:
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:That's awesome, Markk. They're super trainable so if you want them to learn all sorts of tricks right now is the time to start.

- Doc

I am reading that the tough train is to keep them from snapping at heels, does yours heel bite?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"