The Bell Curve

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: The Bell Curve

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

:rolleyes:
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Some Schmo wrote:EAllusion, everything you wrote about Murrey in that last post could be true based on the other things he's said or done in his life, but it was not communicated in the podcast I heard. That's all I'm saying.

Fair enough. I think this is the missing context. Because his work that contains those arguments is promoted in that podcast as just sharing uncomfortable, well-established truth. This is what Ezra Klein was pointing out and what I'm also arguing.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

EAllusion wrote:Fair enough. I think this is the missing context. Because his work that contains those arguments is promoted in that podcast as just sharing uncomfortable, well-established truth. This is what Ezra Klein was pointing out and what I'm also arguing.

So, I've had some time to reflect on this kind of trojan horse idea your concern expresses here, and I suppose I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, I totally understand why you'd fear normalizing an individual who, for someone like me, is a blank slate (in that I knew nothing about him before all this) but nonetheless, he's someone you know enough about to have good reason to think he's a racist.

But on the other hand, you have to give people a little credit. I don't consider myself more racist now for having listened to him speak, I have no interest in listening to him further or reading any of his work, and therefore have no chance of being persuaded into thinking certain racist policy positions are a good idea. In fact, I was listening for what could be considered racist specifically to be on guard against it, given his reputation.

But let's say I was the type of person who was interested in his work and subsequently influenced, wasn't I already ripe for that philosophy to begin with?

I guess I'm wondering how many people's minds are really changed on a subject like this. It has to be a massive exception against the rule. It's kind of the way I've come to believe people use religion: they don't follow a religion, they retrofit the presented belief systems to conform with what they basically already believe. If Murrey appeals to them, it's because he's providing the grist they're already hunting.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Some Schmo wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Fair enough. I think this is the missing context. Because his work that contains those arguments is promoted in that podcast as just sharing uncomfortable, well-established truth. This is what Ezra Klein was pointing out and what I'm also arguing.

So, I've had some time to reflect on this kind of trojan horse idea your concern expresses here, and I suppose I'm of two minds about it. On the one hand, I totally understand why you'd fear normalizing an individual who, for someone like me, is a blank slate (in that I knew nothing about him before all this) but nonetheless, he's someone you know enough about to have good reason to think he's a racist.

But on the other hand, you have to give people a little credit. I don't consider myself more racist now for having listened to him speak, I have no interest in listening to him further or reading any of his work, and therefore have no chance of being persuaded into thinking certain racist policy positions are a good idea. In fact, I was listening for what could be considered racist specifically to be on guard against it, given his reputation.

But let's say I was the type of person who was interested in his work and subsequently influenced, wasn't I already ripe for that philosophy to begin with?

I guess I'm wondering how many people's minds are really changed on a subject like this. It has to be a massive exception against the rule. It's kind of the way I've come to believe people use religion: they don't follow a religion, they retrofit the presented belief systems to conform with what they basically already believe. If Murrey appeals to them, it's because he's providing the grist they're already hunting.

Bingo.

I started this topic with the objective of simply reading the Bell Curve and evaluating the arguments it makes. This started because I thought that if I read the book, I'd come to realize how awful Murray is, and thereby learn what a hack Harris is.

Now we're at the point where the actual words in The Bell Curve aren't required for EA's arguments. If I paraphrase what the book itself says, EA will say I don't understand the real point. If I quote from it directly, EA will say that Murray is insincere and doesn't really believe what he says in the quoted passage. His counterarguments about what Murray really believes are based on an alleged, uncited general knowledge that EA has of the man.

I feel I've now been sufficiently illuminated on the topic and am moving on.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari