Trump Flips on NAFTA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Trump Flips on NAFTA

Post by _Kevin Graham »

After wailing and moaning about how America is taking a beating because of NAFTA and after campaigning on the promise that his superior negotiating skills would prevail in overturning it, Drumpf now says Canada and Mexico managed to persuade him to stay in NAFTA.

So much for his powers for negotiating.

Even if Trump’s threat to withdraw and his abrupt about-face were intended as a hardball tactic to elicit concessions, it is unlikely to have that effect, according to Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research.

“I don’t think of it necessarily as hardball, because I don’t think it is well-thought-out strategy,” Baker said. “This looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. That’s what it looks like to me, and it probably looks the same way to Canada and Mexico.”

Trump has not made clear how or when he plans to reshape NAFTA, beyond repeating that absent a better deal for the United States, he would withdraw from the treaty entirely. Since the campaign, he’s been saying the same thing he said on Thursday ― that he’ll withdraw without a better deal.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Trump Flips on NAFTA

Post by _The CCC »

IS NAFTA perfect? Heavens no. So it can be modified through negotiations to better fit the present circumstances. Walking away from it serves no one's interests.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

KG, your posts are the most uninformed displays of ignorance

from the OP citation

[i]“They called me and they said, rather than terminating NAFTA, could you please renegotiate?” Trump said. “I respect their countries very much. The relationship is very special and I said I will hold on the termination, let’s see if we can make it a fair deal.”[i]

how have you not been paying attention to the recent developments with lumber and milk in Canada? or Trudeau's failed leverage?
Please, show us all how you might possibly be any different than your mother and stepfather...because currently its seems to be only ignorance with a different t-shirt.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The CCC wrote:IS NAFTA perfect? Heavens no. So it can be modified through negotiations to better fit the present circumstances. Walking away from it serves no one's interests.

Cui bono?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

I don't see who actually profits from walking away. Not Canada, not the US, and not Mexico. Significant number of cars and car parts are made/assembled in Canada, and Mexico. They then sold in the US. Both Canada and Mexico provide health care to their citizens. This raises the cost of cars made solely in the US by about $400 per vehicle. Walking away makes Americans pay more money for the cars.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

subgenius wrote:Kevin Graham, your posts are the most uninformed displays of ignorance

from the OP citation

[i]“They called me and they said, rather than terminating NAFTA, could you please renegotiate?” Trump said. “I respect their countries very much. The relationship is very special and I said I will hold on the termination, let’s see if we can make it a fair deal.”[i]

how have you not been paying attention to the recent developments with lumber and milk in Canada? or Trudeau's failed leverage?
Please, show us all how you might possibly be any different than your mother and stepfather...because currently its seems to be only ignorance with a different t-shirt.

So because Trump says he respects the two countries very much and he doesn't want to destroy that special relationship, his flipping on his campaign promise suddenly becomes something other than a flip? Yeah, you're that dumb. Of course Trump is going to spin out some bogus excuse. Because he knows idiots like you will swallow it hook, line and sinker.

His threats with a lumber tariff were as idiotic as his threats to make Mexico pay for a wall by imposing an import tax. But you probably think it makes him tough and a great promise-keeper, huh?

Reversing course on NAFTA, Trump’s threats again appear hollow
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:
subgenius wrote:Kevin Graham, your posts are the most uninformed displays of ignorance

from the OP citation

So because Trump says he respects the two countries very much and he doesn't want to destroy that special relationship, his flipping on his campaign promise suddenly becomes something other than a flip? Yeah, you're that dumb. Of course Trump is going to spin out some bogus excuse. Because he knows idiots like you will swallow it hook, line and sinker.

His threats with a lumber tariff were as idiotic as his threats to make Mexico pay for a wall by imposing an import tax. But you probably think it makes him tough and a great promise-keeper, huh?

Reversing course on NAFTA, Trump’s threats again appear hollow

citing huff and msnbc just denigrate your posts'credibility....its kinda like your mom citing Fox news.
can you cite the specific campaign promise regarding NAFTA?...just curious if you actually can

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/tru ... vi-BBArJqY

I'll bet you pay full price for everything

(by the way, nice sidestep from your post's ignorance about lumber and milk)
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kevin Graham wrote:After wailing and moaning about how America is taking a beating because of NAFTA and after campaigning on the promise that his superior negotiating skills would prevail in overturning it, Drumpf now says Canada and Mexico managed to persuade him to stay in NAFTA.

Please explain to me how this is a bad thing?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:After wailing and moaning about how America is taking a beating because of NAFTA and after campaigning on the promise that his superior negotiating skills would prevail in overturning it, Drumpf now says Canada and Mexico managed to persuade him to stay in NAFTA.

It's a bad thing because it is further evidence that an ignorant blowhard got elected as president by spouting a load of nonsense about the things he would do, and is now painfully being educated at the public expense. I agree that it would have been even worse if his advisors had been unable to make him change his mind.

But that is the kind of guy whose supporters still think is doing just fine. And is was the nonsense he spouted that got him elected. And he is still as stupid as he was before, even if he is now surrounded by people desperate to inject some sense into him. That's ... not a good thing, especially when the guy in question has the nuclear launch codes.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

It's a bad thing because it is further evidence that an ignorant blowhard got elected as president by spouting a load of nonsense about the things he would do, and is now painfully being educated at the public expense. I agree that it would have been even worse if his advisors had been unable to make him change his mind.

Of course it's evidence that he shot his ignorant mouth off before taking office.

But that is the kind of guy whose supporters still think is doing just fine. And is was the nonsense he spouted that got him elected. And he is still as stupid as he was before, even if he is now surrounded by people desperate to inject some sense into him. That's ... not a good thing, especially when the guy in question has the nuclear launch codes.

Well, they're going to have to put one foot in the real world and realize that every candidate makes pledges that they are unable to fulfill and that they voted for a candidate that had no political experience. He's getting the education of his life right now and in many ways, he seems to be responsive to it.

They can pick their frail egos or pick the real circumstances that they voted for, because the messiah isn't sitting in the oval office and never has.

For all the times he's been characterized as "unteachable" or "unwilling to learn", I look at his reversals as evidence that he is teachable and wiling to learn and accept sound advice.

This sparks hope in me, not condemnation.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb