Faking Peer Review

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Faking Peer Review

Post by _Maksutov »

subgenius wrote:Except for magic shows...and theater...and VR goggles...

Those are instances where 'deception' (i.e., entertainment) is recognized and agreed upon. When you go into the theater you don't think you're looking out a picture window, do you? Well, maybe in your case there's some confusion...you did fall for magic rocks, after all. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Wires and lights in a box. Le Sigh.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Maksutov wrote:

Those are instances where 'deception' (i.e., entertainment) is recognized and agreed upon. When you go into the theater you don't think you're looking out a picture window, do you? Well, maybe in your case there's some confusion...you did fall for magic rocks, after all. :lol:

the post said it was a problem in "any human enterprise"...those listed are some examples of "any" human enterprise where it is not a problem at all....in fact, the lack of deliberate deception would be a problem.

as for magic rocks....here you are, maybe check the url, eh?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

subgenius wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

the post said it was a problem in "any human enterprise"...those listed are some examples of "any" human enterprise where it is not a problem at all....in fact, the lack of deliberate deception would be a problem.

as for magic rocks....here you are, maybe check the url, eh?

Poor Subby. Straining at gnats and swallowing frauds. :lol:
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Maksutov wrote:

only becomes necessary when your posts move goalposts...or was there a mutually agreed upon deception for this thread?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

subgenius wrote:
Maksutov wrote:

only becomes necessary when your posts move goalposts...or was there a mutually agreed upon deception for this thread?

So this is something you want to pick a fight about? I'm sure you do, much more than moving the goalposts on Mormon doctrine and practice over the years, yes? No goalposts moved about the second coming, polygamy, back to Missouri, sealed BoMs, blacks holding priesthood, penalties in the temple, ad nauseam. Moving the goalposts to escape accountability is what 'continuous revelation' is all about--a confidence scheme, a DECEPTION, to keep folks paying. So you're a sucker. Own it or change it.

Keep picking at those nits, Subby. :lol: That doesn't take brains or courage, just a resolve to focus on trivia so you can avoid acknowledging the lies and silliness you've taken on from the latter day frauds.

At any rate, the OP is about the integrity of scientific research and publication. Subjects that the subbies don't really care about, since they can pray for all their truths. Stick to your Primary scripts, sub, they're all you'll ever need to be a God. :lol:
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Maksutov wrote:o this is something you want to pick a fight about? I'm sure you do, much more than moving the goalposts on Mormon doctrine and practice over the years, yes? No goalposts moved about the second coming, polygamy, back to Missouri, sealed BoMs, blacks holding priesthood, penalties in the temple, ad nauseam. Moving the goalposts to escape accountability is what 'continuous revelation' is all about--a confidence scheme, a DECEPTION, to keep folks paying. So you're a sucker. Own it or change it.

Goodness! Is subgenius a Mormon?

Up to now I just thought he was a not very pleasant person with a liking for abusing people combined with poor reading skills.

But now he has my sympathy for his predicament.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Chap wrote:
Maksutov wrote:o this is something you want to pick a fight about? I'm sure you do, much more than moving the goalposts on Mormon doctrine and practice over the years, yes? No goalposts moved about the second coming, polygamy, back to Missouri, sealed BoMs, blacks holding priesthood, penalties in the temple, ad nauseam. Moving the goalposts to escape accountability is what 'continuous revelation' is all about--a confidence scheme, a DECEPTION, to keep folks paying. So you're a sucker. Own it or change it.

Goodness! Is subgenius a Mormon?

Up to now I just thought he was a not very pleasant person with a liking for abusing people combined with poor reading skills.

You have to appreciate the complete package. :lol:
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Chap wrote:Goodness! Is subgenius a Mormon?

Certainly he's a Mormon. It is the single biggest factor influencing his antipathy towards science and demonstrable reality. He sincerely believes that his subjective faith in divinely revealed truth automatically trumps any amount of cold, hard contrary evidence and reason, no matter how abundant or incontrovertible. That is the main reason he is so obstinately dismissive of human caused climate change. It is also why he is so susceptible to Trump's con.

Of course, not all Mormons are so obstinately dismissive of observable, but disturbing reality, but subby is rather extreme in that respect -- almost as extreme as ldsfaqs, though not quite as incoherent and ungrammatical as the later.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

As a scientist who happens to be a LDS I must object to the ad hominem attacks on science, and my religion.