For Jersey Girl: How has Trump Advesrsly impacted your life

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bach
_Emeritus

For Jersey Girl: How has Trump Advesrsly impacted your life

Post by _Bach »

As a women, just wondering, for all those things that this board has against our new president, has there been anything since this president was elected that has had a direct and adverse impacted or negatively affected your life?

And please don't feel any need to respond if your life hasn't been adversely impacted. Just wanted to specifically reach out to a female given all those here who seem to know how this president has had a terrible affect on women and thought you might have some relevant input.

Any thoughts?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: For Jersey Girl: How has Trump Advesrsly impacted your l

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Well, he's already emboldened one asshole stalker....
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

LOL

Res Ipsa sneaks in to win the internet for the day at the buzzer.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:Well, he's already emboldened one asshole stalker....

Only one?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Bach wrote:As a women, just wondering, for all those things that this board has against our new president, has there been anything since this president was elected that has had a direct and adverse impacted or negatively affected your life?

And please don't feel any need to respond if your life hasn't been adversely impacted. Just wanted to specifically reach out to a female given all those here who seem to know how this president has had a terrible affect on women and thought you might have some relevant input.

Any thoughts?

Amazing. Women here PMS all day long about a different President. But when given a question that will actually let them stand up for all their bitching, they go silent. Much like many here!
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Bach wrote:
Bach wrote:As a women, just wondering, for all those things that this board has against our new president, has there been anything since this president was elected that has had a direct and adverse impacted or negatively affected your life?

Any thoughts?

Amazing. Women here PMS all day long about a different President. But when given a question that will actually let them stand up for all their bitching, they go silent. Much like many here!

I wasn't big on the idea the world would change over night when President Obama was elected in 08, and wasn't surprised a lot of people ended up feeling disappointed. I was embarrassed for him when he was award the Nobel for not being Bush.

In your other thread you basically pointed to the enthusiasm in the markets that started a couple of days after the election as an example of a positive. But that isn't based on actual market changes, rather it's investors pricing in anticipated big moves by Trump that may not be realized resulting in a future correction. Will that be a ding against him in your eyes if it happens? I kinda doubt it.

So far, I heard it best put by someone comparing the Trump presidency to a ship that has been lurching about tumultuously on an otherwise calm sea. Who knows what will happen. Maybe you’ll be right and 2 years from now we’ll all be living in Utopian bliss. Or not.

Being silent is the only right answer from either side, in my opinion, because he hasn’t had time to do anything really good or bad, hasn’t shown a steady hand which is innately bad for markets and politics both, but has some amount of good will (I know some will contest that) which makes for political capital to spend with a Republican House and Senate to enact an agenda. If he can keep the boat going straight enough to actually get somewhere waits to be seen. As is whether or not that somewhere is good or bad for the country.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Probable collusion with the Russians to rig the election ranks pretty bigly up there with me.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Bach wrote:

Any thoughts?

honorentheos wrote:I wasn't big on the idea the world would change over night when President Obama was elected in 08, and wasn't surprised a lot of people ended up feeling disappointed. I was embarrassed for him when he was award the Nobel for not being Bush.

In your other thread you basically pointed to the enthusiasm in the markets that started a couple of days after the election as an example of a positive. But that isn't based on actual market changes, rather it's investors pricing in anticipated big moves by Trump that may not be realized resulting in a future correction. Will that be a ding against him in your eyes if it happens? I kinda doubt it.

So far, I heard it best put by someone comparing the Trump presidency to a ship that has been lurching about tumultuously on an otherwise calm sea. Who knows what will happen. Maybe you’ll be right and 2 years from now we’ll all be living in Utopian bliss. Or not.

Being silent is the only right answer from either side, in my opinion, because he hasn’t had time to do anything really good or bad, hasn’t shown a steady hand which is innately bad for markets and politics both, but has some amount of good will (I know some will contest that) which makes for political capital to spend with a Republican House and Senate to enact an agenda. If he can keep the boat going straight enough to actually get somewhere waits to be seen. As is whether or not that somewhere is good or bad for the country.

I understand what you are saying, and, like you, I am not terribly surprised that some are somewhat disappointed by what Obama managed to accomplish. In retrospect, when considering all that he did and said, I am not sure that Obama really deserved being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. I think he could have accomplished more that was worthwhile, though, had his political opponents not been so bloody determined to undermine and destroy him and everything he tried to do. I still think the ACA somewhat improved the medical care situation an the USA, and could probably have improved it more had so many Republicans not tried so hard to block its full implementation, but I think even Obama realized that it was, at best, a flawed compromise that was merely the best he could hope to accomplish, given the vociferousness of his opposition. A single payer, universal healthcare plan similar to what other advanced nations have would probably have been better, based on how well it works in those countries that have it.

Maybe it is too soon to conclude that Trump's presidency will be a total disaster, but what he has accomplished or tried to do so far does not give much grounds for optimism, in my opinion.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison