Another Milestone for Religious Freedom

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Another Milestone for Religious Freedom

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:
I don't know about swinging and noses, but some religious practices can be considered child abuse. And it goes beyond that. Abraham thought it was okay to kill his son because he heard a voice tell him to.

The Abrahamic religions are not great sources of guidance for mental health. But that was never their purpose.

No problem for me if we consider male child genitalia mutilation child abuse.

If Issac was a teenager. I'm not too sure Abraham was wrong. :rolleyes:

Agreed.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: Another Milestone for Religious Freedom

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

In ancient Roman religion, Mutunus Tutunus or Mutinus Titinus was a phallic marriage deity, in some respects equated with Priapus. His shrine was located on the Velian Hill, supposedly since the founding of Rome, until the 1st century BC.

During preliminary marriage rites, Roman brides are supposed to have straddled the phallus of Mutunus to prepare themselves for intercourse, according to Church Fathers who interpreted this act as an obscene loss of virginity. The Christian apologist Arnobius says that Roman matrons were taken for a ride (inequitare) on Tutunus's "awful phallus" with its "immense shameful parts", but other sources specify that it is brides who learned through the ritual not to be embarrassed by sex: "Tutinus, upon whose shameful lap sit brides, so that the god seems to sample their shame before the fact." The 2nd-century grammarian Festus is the only classical Latin source to take note of the god, and the characterization of the rite by Christian sources is likely to be hostile or biased.

sexual organs were and are central in many - most - of religions

am i hostile or biased?
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.