Trump to end Social Security?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Trump to end Social Security?

Post by _canpakes »

Maxine Waters wrote:The US needs to change its ways or see its citizens become slaves to compound interest. Perhaps our elderly grandparents need to move in with us rather than being dumped off in a nursing home.

But only as long as they're still hauling their elderly arses out the door to work in those dirty, dusty mines 12 hours a day, until they drop dead at some point in their late eighties. Otherwise, they certainly don't deserve any favors from anyone. Right?
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Let's throw billions at our own citizens before we blow our money on blowing other people up.
I don't think anyone is convinced by your "The US can't possibly walk and chew gum" argument.

Seems more like he's pointing out the folly of trying to chew two whole packs of gum at the same time, as opposed to a stick or two.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

The US is where the asymmetrical war is happening and we're out and about telling everyone else to get their houses in order. It's mind boggling.

I don't like the US being the world police. But I think Trump was sending a message to everyone around the world who might be banking on America not having the stomach for war.

Let's throw billions at our own citizens before we blow our money on blowing other people up.

I'm not sure I like the government throwing billions of dollars at any problem and I'll admit that Trump has done this with his trillion dollar spending package he promised.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Big countries like the US spend big $$$ to get big results. Ever stop to think how much that working toilet in your house really costs?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Maxine Waters wrote:I don't like the US being the world police. But I think Trump was sending a message to everyone around the world who might be banking on America not having the stomach for war.

The US has huge investment, business and trade interests world-wide. It depends for much of its prosperity on large parts of the world being relatively stable and peaceful, and on international transport routes remaining open and secure for commerce. You can call that 'policing' if you like, but it is not done as an act of pure altruism (please note that by saying that I do not mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with, in one's own interest, ensuring a safe global environment for peaceful trade and business based in stable countries).

Your two sentences about 'being the world police' and 'having the stomach for war' are not to be seen as disjunctive. People have to believe the latter in order for the US to be able, for the most part, to safeguard its legitimate interests in peace and stability without the necessity to fight. When policing works as it should, the mere sight of the blue uniform or the sound of an approaching siren is often enough to quieten things down.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Maxine Waters wrote:I don't like the US being the world police. But I think Trump was sending a message to everyone around the world who might be banking on America not having the stomach to be the world police.

Go Trump!
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari