Most Convincing Graphic Demo of AGW

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Most Convincing Graphic Demo of AGW

Post by _Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Subby, My concern about AGW and about the folly of refusing to take measures to mitigate the consequence are not just a "slam on Trump" or merely anecdotal.

the majority of your posts contradict your statement here.

I was posting here on the realities of climate change and the viable alternatives to fossil fuel energy long before Trump became president, without mentioning Trump.

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:They are based on solid science, whether you are willing to accept that or not.

my acceptance is irrelevant to you as evidenced by your "preaching to the choir" type of posts.

The utter asininity and irrationality of your disdain for science and refusal to acknowledge even the strongest supporting evidence of things you would rather not believe is quite relevant and worth pointing out.

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Nevertheless, I will not apologize for slamming Trump.

Not expecting nor asking you to. Just noting that it is probably the least effective way to convince anybody of anything other than of what your opinion is of Trump.

Gunnar wrote:He is probably the most openly corrupt and willfully ignorant president this country has ever had.

nice hyperbole, but some facts would be nice...again, your focus here has been all Trump.

I could fill a whole page with just the links to incontrovertible examples of Trump's corruption and lying, including even admissions of such from Trump's own mouth, if you would like me to, but you probably wouldn't even look at them. But, if you ask me to and agree to look at them, I will.

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:He doesn't even try very hard to hide the fact; he sometimes seems to even flaunt it and gloat over it!

which "fact"? got any actual "facts"...let me guess, Trump appointees are big donors and/or friends of the party....good thing Obama, or every single president never thought of doing such a thing.

You really don't think that the fact that Trump's appointees are almost all big donors, and the fact that trump has admitted to and boasted of bribing and buying off government officials himself for his own advantage is a problem? Have you no sense of ethics at all?

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:His attitude towards climate change is just a small part of that overall conclusion.

ahh, doesn't share your view of AGW means he must be flaunting corruption, got it!

It is far from an unreasonable conclusion considering how many of his principal donors are deeply connected to the fossil fuel industry in one way or another and how much stock Trump himself holds in such companies.

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:This is hardly even controversial anymore. Even growing numbers of those who voted for him are coming to that conclusion.

CFR
Gunnar wrote:That you still cannot or refuse to see that reflects very poorly on you.

in any case, it would be an irrelevant point on this matter...here we see your shift from Trump to me...an odd strategy you have for trying to make your case.

Your continuing support of Trump, despite the clear evidence of what he is and stands for, reflects very poorly on you. Live with it!

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:As for your mention of Solyndra, as pointed out in a previous thread, Solyndra was only one of many green energy initiatives that the dept. of energy invested in, most of which fared very well.

"as was pointed out" in that previous thread, it did not, in fact, fare well.

But it was one of few Dept. of Energy investments into green energy that did not fare well. Talk about anecdotal!

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Besides that, the photovoltaic industry, as a whole, is doing very well and growing by leaps and bounds.

Groupthink much?
again, it is a very simple and adult concept - "popularity" does not validate the issue. Junk bonds did well, grew by leaps and bounds as well....

This is not just a matter of group think. Renewable energy is having a growing impact all over the world, and getting cheaper and more economically competitive all the time -- especially in China, India and Europe. Besides, what is wrong with any group approving of something that is obviously working so well? Flat earth fanatics are also fond of accusing those who accept the overwhelming consensus of a round earth and heliocentric solar system of being victims of "group think." The majority is more often right than wrong.

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Solyndra was a victim of the totally unexpected and rather dramatic decrease in the cost of manufacturing conventional, silicon based photovoltaic cells, which made Solyndra's new, initially very promising but alternate technology no longer competitive.

Yawn, but it still counters Chap assertion.

No it doesn't! I don't understand how you can even begin to think something so silly!

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote:Your harping on the failure of Solyndra

no harping, again your hyperbole is often the substitute for your lack of fact and/or substance.

I have provided plenty of fact and substance. Just no fact and substance that you are willing to seriously or honestly consider.

subgenius wrote:
Gunnar wrote: is just another example or your deplorable tendency to rely on rare, contrary exceptions, or grasp at the flimsiest of straws to try to salvage your ludicrous position.

i can't understand your mixed metaphor here...but alas, we see the usual 90% emotion and 10% reason from your posts...and again, I just do not consider that to be the most effective strategy for you to undertake if your goal is to convince people who do not agree with you. If you are simply content with preaching to the choir or you sincerely believe that venting your frustrations about Trump will achieve your goals...then good luck, you will need it.

I repeat, I have provided plenty of fact and substance, but only a tiny fraction of the supporting fact and substance available. This is an issue that can have and is already having an enormous impact for good or bad (mostly bad, so far) on our planet and all life with which we share it. Of course I am emotional about that! Why shouldn't I be?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Most Convincing Graphic Demo of AGW

Post by _The CCC »

In pre-internet days there was a saying. "Don't mud-wrestle with a pig; You both get dirty, and the pig likes it". Substituting Troll for pig works well.