Calvinist Detective Novels

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Calvinist Detective Novels

Post by _Maksutov »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivis ... lacktivist

Because of the mystery of godliness. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: Calvinist Detective Novels

Post by _honorentheos »

Why did I think this was going to be about G.K. Chesterton?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

You wanted to sneak a few racy images into the mix. They were nice. The lady for total depravity seemed charming. I could not relate the image to the subject of total depravity however. Somehow I found I could relate the other images to their subject just fine. I got a chuckle out of perseverance of the saints.

The image for limited atonement seemed appropriate even though the Calvinist doctrine is not that God is unable to save all.

I will wonder to my self if my inability to see total depravity in the image has anything to do with my personal reservations about the concept of total depravity to start with. (or is that my reservations about leaving the idea of total depravity?hmm)
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

There's a fairly successful series of Buddhist Detective Novels, the Tenzing Norbu Mysteries.

"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

honorentheos wrote:Why did I think this was going to be about G.K. Chesterton?
I am starting to re-read them. Have all of them in a kindle copy. Last time I got bored and raced through. There seemed to be a few bad guys who got what they deserved.

The Calvinist titles and cover illustrations were delightfully sarcastic.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Always Changing wrote:
honorentheos wrote:Why did I think this was going to be about G.K. Chesterton?
I am starting to re-read them. Have all of them in a kindle copy. Last time I got bored and raced through. There seemed to be a few bad guys who got what they deserved.

The Calvinist titles and cover illustrations were delightfully sarcastic.

It's been a while since I've read any Chesterton but I recall they were quick reads and enjoyable. Might not be bad to revisit them.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

honorentheos wrote:It's been a while since I've read any Chesterton but I recall they were quick reads and enjoyable. Might not be bad to revisit them.
Some of his moaning about moral decay is-- interesting, in light of today's society. A deep read is worthwhile.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.