It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: FOX NEWS is the MEDIA OUTLET FOR WHITE SUPREMACISM
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:51 am 
God

Quote:
Every single day the Trump admin is engaging in out in the open corruption that makes the Harding administration look quaint. There's just too much scandal saturation, right-wing disinformation, and news fatigue for people to properly focus on it.

Knowing this, there are still people who think, "Yeah, but Warren said she was a Native American!" as a serious retort. I can't fathom how broken a person's sense of proportion has to be to think that compares.

Here's the thing. Suppose Warren wins the nomination. Suppose further that during the campaign and internal memo from Havard leaks that shows that Warren's supposed Native American status played a role in a salary increase she received. That's plausible. I guarantee you it would be a huge story with above the fold coverage in every major newspaper and endless pundit commentary on all major news networks. That's how false balance works in the media.

It would make you feel like you're going insane because that's not that big of a deal in the big scheme of things and the President is a corrupt, cruel, pathological liar whittling away at the basic norms of democracy.

Extremely well said, EAllusion. It is a scandal that Trump's base supporters turn a blind eye to and try to excuse even the most egregious things he does, while mercilessly excoriating his Democratic and progressive opponents for even the most minor missteps and misdeeds, even imaginary ones.

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:53 am 
God

Hello E and Gunnar -

Quote:
There's a false idea in right wing discourse that Warren lied about her Native American heritage in order to benefit from Affirmative Action to get academic posts she otherwise could not hack. If Warren wins the Democratic nomination, we're gonna be subjected to that relentlessly. And thanks to false balance in the media, it'll be treated as a major controversy.

The more accurate version is that Warren believed she had Native American heritage due to a family legend. If you are from the right parts of the country and of the right age, which Warren is, this is super common. Everyone has a "Cherokee princess" in their family line. Warren got into this idea and began claiming she was part Native American, which was then picked up by where she worked to boast of their diversity hires.

When this became controversial, Warren tried to defend herself by providing evidence that no, she really has Native American heritage. This is offensive to tribal groups because being Native American for them isn't about having the right admixture of DNA. It's about being raised in and participating in tribal culture. Warren doesn't have that, and her defenses just completely neglected what Native Americans themselves believe about what constitutes being Native American. She has no real tribal affiliation. This is bad, but it's also so stereotypical of someone her age from the part of the country she is from. She's since apologized for this and as far as controversies go, it's well beneath what occurs in the Trump admin on a literal weekly basis.

If Warren wins the nomination, what's probably going to happen is that leftwing critics who understand the second issue are going to be used to prove that there is validity to the first one.

She wasn't dishonest. She was clueless. It has basically no bearing on what she'd be like as a President and reads to me as a distraction.

For someone who throws the word racist around like a frisbee you should be a little more perceptive. Her family stories yarn is well understood and publicized. Her honesty to those that understand her whole decades of clueless when she had no business being clueless is a little more suspect.

I have a law degree. Indian law runs through almost all areas of law and when you become a professor in commercial law and consumer protection you can't avoid it. It removes cases in criminal law, it enhances punishment and punitive damages in other areas and both of those are different one is blood the other affiliation, and this certainly isn't all just two basic examples. She had of taught students they could have ethical problems if they don't ask about affiliation in order to properly represent clients. She would have shown them where to look it up if a client says they do have. She knows.

Basic to any Indian law is tribal affiliation. In her own video she made in attempt to meet Trumps $1M charity challenge she even admitted that she knew the difference between affiliation and ethnicity. The admittance opens the floodgates to her education on the very stunt she was pulling. She apologizes because she knows she can avoid getting deeper into the mud of how dishonest it was by saying mea culpa and my mama and papa said so. This is clear to someone like me who has a law degree and has taken Indian law and dealt with the overlap many times while practicing. I simply cannot believe those silly defenses. She knew all along.

The cheekbones trope she tried pulling would be a front and center for you against Trump if that was on the other foot and racist with capital letters would be yelled. Are you going to defend someone as not anti-semitic who says Jews control Hollywood as a part of a plan to control you and the world and they have big noses. Because the cheekbones routine is right there. You defending her would be like me saying a racist black trope and then you defend me because my "mama and papa" (Jesus Christ) taught me that blacks sinned in the pre-existence, what? it's what they taught me. And you claiming any false equivalence there would just show how naïve you are toward ignorance concerning native Americans. She knew and knows.

I don't believe she tried getting into Harvard as a minority or enhance her career, I believe her politics and positions received the old false authority enhancement and virtue signaled, "as a woman of Native American ancestry" trope. That is why Charlemagne Tha God got her flustered and she had to return to it's what my family taught me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxVoXVwriOM around the 20:00 mark. He was nailing her on that proper angle of virtue signaling and race joining. It is a serious matter and naïve to believe that such an educated woman from Oklahoma for that matter would be so ridiculously naïve as your commonly and well understood supposed accurate version. She knows Nara.gov. She knew.

Why don't you give Trump his family history and culture defenses to how clumsy he is with his language and thought? I just find it face palming from both of them. And before you get in a tizzy and start typing, sure Trump is worse.

Here's one leaning left publication that gets closer to the reality: https://www.gq.com/story/elizabeth-warren-dna-tests

Gunnar -

Quote:
I am encouraged by the fact that you like her policies, but I don't think it is entirely fair to her to accuse her of dishonesty concerning her tribal affiliation confusion.

No it isn't, and I still won't call you names, you are just wrong.

Quote:
You should read her book, A fighting Chance.

I stopped reading candidates books long ago, they are just advertisements and means to reinforce possible cognitive dissonance. I believe it one should read the oppositions books to avoid dissonance. I already stated her policies are what are attracting me. I read policies and I vote on policies. I want the bad for every one I consider so I seek it out in a balanced and fair but truthful way. At least as close as possible for me.

Quote:
In this autobiographical book she talks about how her mother thought, probably honestly but mistakenly, that she had a significant amount of Native American ancestry. She took her mother's word for that, but she never used claims of tribal affiliation to gain any favorable consideration in applications for employment or academic institutions. All institutions with which Warren was associated confirmed that their acceptance of her was entirely based on her academic merit and achievements. When she submitted her DNA samples for analysis and found that the percentage of Native American ancestry was far less than she had been led to believe, she apologized for any confusion she might have created, but I really don't feel that apology was necessary.

Because you don't know the full reality of the issue. Are you trying to convince me that a woman as experienced in the world and educated as Elizabeth Warren didn't know how to search her name on Nara.gov? See my response to E above. You are just not informed but only shown the left side to it.

Quote:
That she apologized anyway was admirable of her, and I am glad to find that you seem to agree with that

Like I said I like her policies. I am still challenged by this issue and you haven't afforded me anything I wasn't aware of. Just the surface left response.

ETA:
Quote:
Extremely well said, EAllusion. It is a scandal that Trump's base supporters turn a blind eye to and try to excuse even the most egregious things he does, while mercilessly excoriating his Democratic and progressive opponents for even the most minor missteps and misdeeds, even imaginary ones.

Good God your tempting me on the name calling back. I better get a rational response from you on how she made the video she made and claimed what she did with percentage DNA nonsense and was not aware of of tribal affiliation or how to just look that up.

mikwut

All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

"Why are you afraid, have you still no faith?" Mark 4:40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
Basic to any Indian law is tribal affiliation. In her own video she made in attempt to meet Trumps $1M charity challenge she even admitted that she knew the difference between affiliation and ethnicity.

After Warren's ethnicity claim - as opposed to affiliation - and her honest attempt to meet Trump's challenge, the result was Trump dishonestly reneging on his commitment to donate to charity.

It's interesting how both of those parts of the story get overlooked by folks trying to skewer Warren.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:10 pm 
God

Jesus canpakes,

Why is attacking Trump defending Warren. They both need to fight their individual battles. I am not saying Warren bad Trump good. She ____ up. It needs to be accounted for. I even said in the Post Trump is worse for heaven's sake.

mikwut

All communication relies, to a noticeable extent on evoking knowledge that we cannot tell, all our knowledge of mental processes, like feelings or conscious intellectual activities, is based on a knowledge which we cannot tell.
-Michael Polanyi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:21 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
She ____ up. It needs to be accounted for.

How does that happen?

You've essentially argued that such a standard need not apply to the fellow currently in the White House, so I'm genuinely interested in what form this application of required justice for Warren's transgression will take.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:35 pm 
God

Canpakes,

I am not calling her a white supremacist, that is and only is what I defended Trump regarding. I made clear I didn't vote for him, I am not voting for him. I argued the racist yelling doesn't accomplish anything and in facts harms us legislatively and even risks Trump's re-election.

Respecting Warren I spoke about her honesty troubling me when I like her policies. They are stand alone issues and arguments.

She ____ up by placing the American Indian card all they way to calling her bluff between ethnicity and affiliation. I have post clear evidence that it was much more probable that she knew this difference long, long ago regardless of mama and papa dinner stories and cheekbones. Your not looking unbiasedly if you can't read my above post and get it.

mikwt

-Michael Polanyi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
For someone who throws the word racist around like a frisbee you should be a little more perceptive. Her family stories yarn is well understood and publicized. Her honesty to those that understand her whole decades of clueless when she had no business being clueless is a little more suspect.

I have a law degree. Indian law runs through almost all areas of law and when you become a professor in commercial law and consumer protection you can't avoid it. It removes cases in criminal law, it enhances punishment and punitive damages in other areas and both of those are different one is blood the other affiliation, and this certainly isn't all just two basic examples. She had of taught students they could have ethical problems if they don't ask about affiliation in order to properly represent clients. She would have shown them where to look it up if a client says they do have. She knows.

She claimed Native American heritage, not tribal affiliation. Lots of people take pride in being "part Indian" based on family lore of Native American ancestry who are not actually Native American. It's very common. People shouldn't do it, but when people do they don't necessarily know better.

Quote:
Basic to any Indian law is tribal affiliation. In her own video she made in attempt to meet Trumps $1M charity challenge she even admitted that she knew the difference between affiliation and ethnicity. The admittance opens the floodgates to her education on the very stunt she was pulling.

She was trying to meet Trump's "challenge" based on on ethnicity. Are you not aware what happened? It was stupid of her to do, because it was a bad faith challenge to begin with and utterly irrelevant while insulting to what actual Native American standing looks like.

Quote:
The cheekbones trope she tried pulling would be a front and center for you against Trump if that was on the other foot and racist with capital letters would be yelled. Are you going to defend someone as not anti-semitic who says Jews control Hollywood as a part of a plan to control you and the world and they have big noses.

For one, based on your impossible standards of racism, you cannot claim that saying, "Jews control Hollywood and have big noses" is racist. You have this weird double standard where absolute radical skepticism in racism is your position when it comes to literal white supremacists associated Republican power, but "sure, that's racist" is fine when directed at other groups for not nearly as serious things. So if a person calls for a "final solution" for Muslims, describes migrants as cockroaches that should be repelled by gunboats, refers to blacks as jigga-boo, and promotes racist conspiracy theory theories, your position is they can't be called racist. Yet when Elizabeth Warren thinks that "high cheekbones" is evidence of Native American ethnicity, you switch into woke mode.

Second, Warren's "high cheekbone" comments from the 80's are classic racism in the sense of a minor racial prejudice. It's of the basic, naïve grandma sort, but still a minor form of racism. It's drastically less serious than promoting ur-conspiracy behind Naziism to stoke racial tension for an authoritarian government, but your schtick here seems to collapse any meaningful differences. You give a nod to, "sure, Trump is worse" then proceed to drastically undersell the difference between vicious racism and problematic ideas about Native American heritage.

Quote:
I believe her politics and positions received the old false authority enhancement and virtue signaled, "as a woman of Native American ancestry" trope.

The heck? Her actual political career has avoided reliance on claims of being a Native American and has dogged her before she had run for any office. Honestly, this seems made up by you.

Quote:
Why don't you give Trump his family history and culture defenses to how clumsy he is with his language and thought? I just find it face palming from both of them.

Good lord look at this false equivalence. "Clumsy" is a heck of a way to describe calling Mexican immigrants mostly drug dealers and rapists who are invading and infesting the country. Whopsie.

Quote:
And before you get in a tizzy and start typing, sure Trump is worse.

Saying this doesn't stop it from being false equivalence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:44 pm 
God

EAllusion wrote:
She claimed Native American heritage, not tribal affiliation. Lots of people take pride in being "part Indian" based on family lore of Native American ancestry who are not actually Native American. It's very common. People shouldn't do it, but when people do they don't necessarily know better.

I spent most of my life saying I had Indian blood and no one believed me until they saw my Mom, my brother and sister. My Mom's grandfather was apparently married to a full Cherokee. I remember seeing an old black and white photo. She wasn't wearing a headdress or anything but she looked very dark and very indian to me. Me and my siblings in later years started to show well defined high cheek bones which family members always attributed to the Indian blood. But my Dad was Scott-Irish so I got his light eyes and light hair. My brother and sister on the other hand always had dark eyes, dark hair and tanned really easily. When we lived in Germany I was 4-7 years old and my Mom had long straight hair that dropped below her butt. Everyone always said she looked like Crystal Gayle or some Indian name as a joke. Here we are back in 1978:

Here is my brother at age 18 while I was the pale chubby faced kid with freckles and light green eyes. Now be honest, do you think he could pass for maybe one quarter Indian?

I did Ancestry.com and turns out I have 2% Native American in me. Not much at all from a percentage standpoint, but I've been saying I have Indian in me the same as Warren, so I don't fault her for that. Its not like either of us is bragging or intentionally lying. Its just what we were always told growing up.

Last edited by Kevin Graham on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 pm 
God

mikwut wrote:
Canpakes,

I am not calling her a white supremacist, that is and only is what I defended Trump regarding. I made clear I didn't vote for him, I am not voting for him. I argued the racist yelling doesn't accomplish anything and in facts harms us legislatively and even risks Trump's re-election.

Respecting Warren I spoke about her honesty troubling me when I like her policies. They are stand alone issues and arguments.

She ____ up by placing the American Indian card all they way to calling her bluff between ethnicity and affiliation. I have post clear evidence that it was much more probable that she knew this difference long, long ago regardless of mama and papa dinner stories and cheekbones. Your not looking unbiasedly if you can't read my above post and get it.

mikwt

The first part of your reply must be addressing someone else's comment, so I'll move on to the second part above.

In your previous post, you said: "She ____ up. It needs to be accounted for".

How does that 'accounting' happen?

Again, I'm genuinely interested in what form this application of required justice for Warren's transgression will take.

Otherwise, what you're doing here isn't unlike listening to folks shout, "Lock her up!!1!", about Clinton, at Trump rallies - without having any idea of what we'd need to lock Clinton up for. This shout becomes merely a substitute for clear thinking, and an excuse for irrational conclusions.

You believe that Warren needs to atone for her claim of possible partial Native American ancestry - a claim that is not the same as tribal affiliation, yet one that is ambiguously confirmed by DNA testing as much as others could claim that it is not. Then, what is the punishment to be imposed on Warren that would clear this transgression from her record in your eye, and allow her to be considered as a candidate outside of that old issue?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:19 am 
God

Perhaps one could say that the danger or downside of claiming or pointing out that Trump is a racist and White Supremacist is that it only further endears him to his hardcore, racist base or to others who may be closet racists themselves. In other words, is there enough residual or unacknowledged racism left in the American electorate that establishing that Trump is indeed a White Supremacist is more likely to enhance his popularity than to damage it?

Is that exactly what Trump is counting on? Will it work for him? That's what gives me the shudders!

No precept or claim is more deservedly suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:06 am 
God

Trump and Fox News mutually reinforce each other in promoting an idea that latinx immigrants are invaders who will replace native whites in the US leading to the political subjugation of white people and a destruction of their culture and standard of living. The drumbeat to stop this is near constant. The Trump campaign alone has sent thousands of political advertisements calling on its recipients to stop this invasion.

Mikwut - What's racist about that?

Elizabeth Warren once referred to high cheekbones as a sign she has Native American ancestry.

Mikwut - That's so racist. She needs to be held to account.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 am 
God

EAllusion wrote:
...subjugation of white people and a destruction of their culture ...

Ah, yes. Back to the question of whatever white culture means, exactly. I think that I've asked ajax that a few times but never seen a response.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 am 
God

canpakes wrote:
EAllusion wrote:

Ah, yes. Back to the question of whatever white culture means, exactly. I think that I've asked ajax that a few times but never seen a response.

Khaki shorts and asking to speak to your manager?

The neat trick white supremacists do with this is they conflate "American" and "white" culture and/or "Western Civilization" and this absolutely bleeds into the dreaded demographic replacement / white genocide propaganda. It's always a phantasmagorical ride trying to get them to define what, exactly, that means.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:16 pm 
God

canpakes wrote:
EAllusion wrote:

The heart of white culture is in Wisconsin. It's how they make the cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 pm 
God

How pervasive is this white supremacist problem anyway? It seems yet another media exaggeration. I was on the golf course the other day, playing in my weekly group. There are about 10 to 15 that play and we are a pretty diverse group. There are blacks, whites, mexicans, pacific islanders, italians and mixed. We were all joking and laughing, talking politics and whatever else. We talk about Trump and the Dem candidates. We also talk about race and how it shouldn't divide us and how there are crazy people among all races.

If Fox is the font of white supremacists, then turn it off. Turn off the MSM and my guess is that your perception of reality will change.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:15 am 
God

Ok. So not one responded to what my point was and what I supplied ample evidence for. I'll try again. There is a clear distinction between claiming oneself American Indian from a purely ethnicity standpoint and from a true heritage or tribal affiliation. I stated clearly and plainly that due to her legal education and professorship the issue of the importance of tribal affiliation would have been known to her. She undeniably would have had the knowledge to check her mother's lore of Cherokee on the internet for heaven's sake. But she put herself out as a minority and this is problematic for several reasons. It gives the race joining virtue signaling and it undermines diversity programs, especially a program as difficult as Harvards. Here's another article clearly explaining what she did, I have added there is no way she didn't understand the distinction. https://theintercept.com/2018/10/16/eli ... n-harvard/

To even attempt to respond to Trump's challenge (which is admittedly a big goof as well) was a demonstration of her still attempting to put off some kind of blood in her lineage as applicable to what she did by claiming the minority status at certain points. My point in my above post was to demonstrate she knew about this distinction even before becoming a professor and yet she still claimed this. That is a problem.

I don't care about a horse race between Trump and her concerning what is more problematic. My overall point to E and Gunnar was that folks so sensitive to race and diversity should not give a pass to this, it is a problem that doesn't deserve to simply be granted a total pass with the mama and papa family lore.

I am not going to answer the racist questions. I clearly stated that I don't think Trump is a white supremacist and I don't think Elizabeth Warren is racist for the cheekbones i think they both get face palms from me and I already said that. It isn't me that has to respond to hypocrisy or I am woke with Warren but not with Trump. I am pointing the hypocrisy finger at you guys that make racism such an enormous issue but seem to have a narrow focus and don't make such a stink elsewhere.

mikwut

-Michael Polanyi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 am 
God

mik,

If she knew and she knows. What was her motive?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:27 am 
God

mikwut wrote:
What is the FoxNews dog whistles I am just too dumb to see that are white supremacist?

mikwut

Too dumb to see is such a harsh expression. Why not use the expression "choose not to see"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
mik,

The distinction mikwut wants to impose is somewhat telling. For mikwut, Warren is a racist who apparently can never atone for her intentional sins of claiming some NA heritage committed for no identified nefarious reasons other than family folklore. But, Trump? He’s just a silly goofball who accidentally repeats racist and emotionally-charged statements every second hour of every day. But, no worries about that, right?

Warren must be ostracized from polite society and eliminated from serious consideration as a candidate, but no-one should be allowed to mention any of Trump’s actions, because that would be ... hypocritical?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:21 am 
God

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
mik,

The distinction mikwut wants to impose is somewhat telling. For mikwut, Warren is a racist who apparently can never atone for her intentional sins of claiming some NA heritage committed for no identified nefarious reasons other than family folklore. But, Trump? He’s just a silly goofball who accidentally repeats racist and emotionally-charged statements every second hour of every day. But, no worries about that, right?

Warren must be ostracized from polite society and eliminated from serious consideration as a candidate, but no-one should be allowed to mention any of Trump’s actions, because that would be ... hypocritical?

Mikwut is saying they are equally unserious or serious. He decides to go with unserious. While he is willing to say Trump is "worse" that is a meaningless concession because at the end of the day, you either say both are horrible racists or not. Trump being a walking Stormfront poster whipping up fear and rage in his supporters equals "goofball" behavior that, while worse than Warren's, isn't so bad. But because you or I might think this is serious, he thinks consistency dictates we should be appalled by Warren to the point of writing her off as a racist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 am 
God

mikwut wrote:
Ok. So not one responded to what my point was and what I supplied ample evidence for. I'll try again. There is a clear distinction between claiming oneself American Indian from a purely ethnicity standpoint and from a true heritage or tribal affiliation. I stated clearly and plainly that due to her legal education and professorship the issue of the importance of tribal affiliation would have been known to her. She undeniably would have had the knowledge to check her mother's lore of Cherokee on the internet for heaven's sake.

For heaven's sake the internet wasn't around when she was claiming Native American heritage.

EAllusion already explained this well enough. I'll just go on to add that your "hypocrisy on the left" narrative is just dumb.

And about that "internet" thing... I've been googling a lot about this and it seems that outside of the Native American's critical response to Warren, that there is actually an established basis for claiming Native American ancestry via DNA results...

Quote:
What are the most typical requirements for membership?

Each tribe has a base roll which was established, usually, in the early 20th century, listing the members of the tribe at that time. Your first challenge will be to prove direct lineal descent from someone listed on that base roll. Then you must prove that you have the required level of blood quantum – the percentage of your genetic make-up that is native by bloodline. Most tribes require a 1/4 blood quantum – that is, you must be at least one-fourth Native American – but note that the Eastern Band of the Cherokees requires that you be only 1/16 or higher to join, and the Cherokee Nation has no minimum quantum restriction, so long as you can prove descent. There may be other conditions for membership as well: requirements for tribal residency or continued contact with the tribe are common.

Am I 1/16 Native American?

Quote:
I was told by my grandmother that her grandmother was full blood Native American. Can any of my results be wrong??

It's quite common for people who think they should have some Native American DNA not to have any in the test. One very common reason is that family stories of Native American ancestry aren't true--have you found a paper trail on your grandmother's side of the family that would back up her grandmother being Native American? Secondly, even full blood Native Americans usually weren't actually 100% Native American, they often had varying degrees of European already, so your 1/16 on paper might be a lot less than that if grandma's grandma was only 75% or 50% Native American DNA. And whether you have 1/16 or something less, ethnicities don't split 50/50 every generation so it could have diluted out completely by the time it got to you. Then add on top of that the fact that most of Ancestry's reference database of Native Americans are from Latin American not US/Canada, so even if you do have a smidge of Native American there might not be anything in the database that's close enough for it to match you with that.

To me the fact that she bothered to do DNA testing shows that she never tried to intentionally mislead anyone as she clearly believed, based on family lore, that she had Native American ancestry - and she does. When Native American groups got upset about her claims it seemed to have more to do with the fact that it was eliciting racial slurs from critics including the President.

Quote:
The presidential hopeful "reached out to us and has apologized to the tribe," Cherokee Nation executive director of communications Julie Hubbard said in a statement. "We are encouraged by this dialogue and understanding that being a Cherokee Nation tribal citizen is rooted in centuries of culture and laws not through DNA tests," Hubbard added. "We are encouraged by her action and hope that the slurs and mockery of tribal citizens and Indian history and heritage will now come to an end."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next